Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Painting on Canvas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painting on Canvas
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a guy that brought me a 3x4' canvas piece (like for Oil painting) and wants me to paint it Biege and paint his simple Windmill logo on it in Black.. This is out of the norm for me.. What should I use for the Biege? Do i need a special paint? it's raw canvas.. Am I over thinking it? [Bash]

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

peeweepinstriping@comcast.net www.signspeeweedesigns.com

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you could use one shot on it like any other substrate..... maybe put a coat of gesso on first to seal it....

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prine with acrylic gesso, then paint acrylic latex biege. letter with 1 shot or any water base paint. I'd use flat black like water base acrylics.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gesso first. Try thinning it enough with water to make it as smooth as you need and maybe double coat it.

Artist acrylics are not nearly as dense or opaque as Lettering, but much more flexible. They are also not nearly as easy to do detail with and do not brush like Lettering. Nix Poster as it will crack.

If you use latex for the beige, use a flat version as the one shot will stick better to it. The gloss has alot of non-stick things in it, I have seen over the long haul, of necessary.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used to do a lot of canvas banners before the advent of vinyl.

Seal and undercoat with a good waterbased primer. First coat watered down because the canvas will soak it up like a man dying of thurst in the desert!

You can do this with a brush but I prefer a foam roller.

Top coat your beige with any waterbased gloss enamel. You can probably get a 1/4 pint mixed at your local paint shop.

I have never used one shot on canvas. It's too stiff and tends to crack. Use waterbased! A little harder to letter but remains flexible.

If the banner or whatever is going to be rolled up, simple baby talc it down to provent it sticking to itself. The talk fills the pores up and is easily wiped off with a damp rag. Advise the customer to do the same each time he stores it.
[For Your Information]
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baty
Deceased

Member # 9776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baty   Email Mark Baty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coat it with two or three coats of laytex, sanding between coats, then letter with Dolphinite, or OneShot (poster colors).
Thin your oil paint with terps; it will
be more flexable.
We used this method since the 50's.
Before about 1960 all we had was canvas banners.
Mark

--------------------
Mark Baty
Mark 1 Studio
1980 SE Leeann Drive
Waukee, IA 50263

Posts: 45 | From: Waukee, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on Mark!

Old methods still work [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We tried an interesting technique for some Christmas gifts- canvas on wooden frame- used acrylic paint for the base coat, made a vinyl mask, put a thick coat of drywall mud over the mask, pulled the mask off, once mud is dry, finished painting and aging with wood stain- made a great 3D relief painting with very little cost...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy! Do I have some work ahead of me just trying to figure out the technique to choose!!! Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

peeweepinstriping@comcast.net www.signspeeweedesigns.com

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would coat-out canvas with a waterbased "block-out white", such as Bullseye 123 or similar. Then the beige and black are really up to you! A piece that small not being folded or rolled like a banner should be just fine. Although, I would paint biege with a semi-gloss latex to get a somewhat smooth surface, and paint black with anything waterbased or oil. Nothing to it.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peewee,

Here's another one for you.

During a backpack across central Mexico, when I was young, I came across a one man sign shop. After introducing myself and a short talk, Armondo told me he had a canvas banner to letter. With a light weight cotton cloth in his hand he pushed it down to the bottom of the horse trough. We let is soak over lunch. Then we nailed and stretched it up against the outside of his little shop. With the sun blazing it wasn't long before it tightened up and he went to work.

Using oil paint he lettered away. I was amazed. The water kept the paint from bleeding. He kept it fairly wet during the process by flogging with a big wet brush. Now it wasn't as clean as stickers but a lot more fun.

Paint away.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes coating out is not an option. When I once lettered some covered wagons, the owners did not want the canvas painted. They wanted only lettering on the raw fabric.

If you can't coat out the background, keeping the canvas damp and lettering with lettering enamels works. Actually, as I recall, we used to mix one part oil-base poster color with two parts lettering enamel. The poster speeded up drying while the lettering enamel gave it durability.
You can use a sponge to dampen the fabric ahead of the lettering. Not soaking wet, but wet enough to allow you to cut a clean line. The paint sits on top of the wetness rather than bleeds.
Rolling it up for storage, just like a vinyl banner, helps prevent cracking.

Of course this was all before latex paints became popular in the sign world. I would think that the flexibility of latex would lend itself well to painting fabric.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brad,

I thought I was the only sign soul who had that kind of experience. I'm not sure it has much applicability today. But still it was fun.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!