Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Gold Leaf question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gold Leaf question
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm redoing a hatch for a boat that the lettering will be done in GL with a large oval background of a sunset scene. As cost is a factor, I will be doing the job with 1-Shot.

Normally I would do the leaf first and then the outlines, but because of the airbrush work in the background (which I might just use my touch-up gun) I'm not willing to risk to masking freshly done leaf. Also due to the shape I'm somewhat worried if I can mask the background while doing the leaf to keep the excess gold from sticking to the 1-Shot, although I would much rather repair the background than the leaf.

Does anyone have a trick to keep the gold from sticking to a freshly painted background? I was think talc might help.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raw Potato

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is an outline to the lettering you could mask with just sticky-ing the outline.
Cut a piece of paper the shape of the letter (or letter+outline reversed out of paper) then cut sticky mask of outline+ to stick the paper down.

if that makes sense the way I typed it

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Jordan
Resident

Member # 1198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jordan   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egg white is another way of keeping gold from adhering to fresh paint. Just a coat over the area of concern, when that is dry apply size to area that needs gilding. After gold has been applied wash off egg white with water.

--------------------
Paul Jordan
Jordan Signs
http://jordansigns.com.au
paul@jordansigns.com.au
Australia
"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing" George Bernard Shaw, I think.

Posts: 166 | From: Caringbah, N.S.W., Australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second the egg white... only dilute it with 50% water.

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or dab on some Whiting, finely powdered. It's a bit dustier & messier than eggwhite, but drier.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Glawson always told us to use kaolin(a very fine powdered white clay) and or whiting as Stewey suggests.Whiting is a bit grainier and tends to clump up in the size,...try letterhead supply,...Ron and or Kristie will have something more than likely,... Letterhead Supply

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried the potato and egg white and have fount the Kaolin Power to be the best for me...Just put on a light dusting, lightly blow off access and size. Once guilded just wash off with clean water...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaolin powder I find is the best! I have used whiting from the beginning but prefer Kaolin as it's not grainy and cleans up well, fine lines remain smooth no ragged edges.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

Is there a type of store I should look for the Kaolin Powder? I hope to do this in the next couple of days, so I was hoping to find it locally.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't help you there, but eggs are universally available.

Think I even saw on TV last night where you can get 'em at Denny's with toast and bacon for $4.

:B

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(do you get a gilded tomato with that too, Ed, or just a variegated leaf one [Wink] !)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer my eggs over easy! [Smile]

But it works. And you can use the yolks to make a cool omelet.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer my eggs scrambled, don't break the yolks!

[ April 15, 2010, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Len Mort ]

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how long (dry time)should someone wait before applying egg, potato or powder over fresh one-shot?

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could just see my husband's face as I was grabbing the egg out of the fridge. "Are you gonna make breakfast.? "No, it's for a sign."

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kaolin is basically a fine powdered clay for making pottery any local potter should know and or have a source.

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Kaolin is also used as a base for many cosmetics.

If you Google Kaolin you will find many suppliers in and out of the country.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!