Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Follow up... Oven Cleaner Paint Removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Follow up... Oven Cleaner Paint Removal
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I'd show you the results of the question I posted about removing One Shot from a truck door. I ended up advising the truck owner to try lacquer thinner, that I didn't feel comfortable recommending oven cleaner. Lacquer thinner didn't touch the One Shot so after talking to an auto body guy, he bought some Easy Off in the blue can, (low odor). That also didn't touch it so he bought Easy Off in the yellow can. It removed all the One Shot easily and didn't affect the paint job at all.

Here's the truck before cleaning. As you can see, covering the old graphics with a vinyl panel was out of the question due to the size.
 -

Here's the truck after lettering. The light shadows left by the old graphic (actually this was a clear case of the exposed paint fading slightly and what was protected by the One Shot looked like the original color) are not even visible from a few feet away.
 -

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Dave.

We used to use it all the time with great results, but I was wondering after not using it for years as I was hearing bad reports online here. It's great to know this has good results from someone I know and trust. You have done us a great service here.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeeeeees, I'm glad you posted the results Dave. I'm sure it doesn't work all the time, but it has worked for me over the years. I posted earlier about the technique I, once up a time, employed. Can't remember having a problem.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever worked in the past in regards to the original Easy Off formula with the rings on the can will still work today as long as the viewers of Fox News don't hypnotize you into believing it doesn't work any longer

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used it for years and never had a problem. I loved showing up on a sight and watching the truckers sweat, worrying that I was out of my mind and it would totally screw up their paint. Gave me a ense of power. What can I say? I had to teach those guys that I knew what I was doing. Sadly, haven't needed it for years. They want vinyl. HUMPH. So...I don't do trucks anymore. That settled that, didn't it?

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of these times I kept my mouth shut, The original Easy off in the yellow can always worked for me, I actually removed the old One Shot off of a brand new Pick up, and this was a complete job, not just the 2 doors... but the Blue can, which is 'Heat Activated" does not work at all.. I was just to chicken to recommend anything, in case things changed.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the before and after Dave. It looks great.
I had a job last year, that needed the old - way old, extremely old lettering removed from a 1964 farm bulk truck. The owner's son said he'd do the removal with oven cleaner (he's a big, strong kid) and it worked! It took the old lettering off, and of course a little of the truck paint. But the trucks paint was so oxidized, that it looked like a shadow, and the new logo fit over most of the old stuff, so it turned out fine.
Only thing was - the owner's son says to me, "That oven cleaner sure burns your hands." I said, "Honey, it says right on the can to wear gloves - it's caustic!" He just smiled and shrugged. [Eek!]

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!