Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - CMOS battery died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - CMOS battery died
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I couldn't get my desktop to wake up, so I did a hard reboot. Hmmm. It would get to the Windows startup screen, and then the graphics would go haywire and the monitor would go into energy saving mode (no signal). I figured out I could boot into safe mode, but the normal boot wouldn't finish. Checking the BIOS I noticed the system clock was set to 00:00:00 and the date was sometime in 2004. Great.

So, I went to my friendly neighborhood Walmart and picked up a CMOS battery. I installed it, fixed the system time and date, and looked around for anything else that might need adjusting. Tried a reboot, and got the same results.

I knew the drive was good because it would boot into safe mode with no problem. The screen going blank seemed to be an issue with the video card. I deleted the video driver, and this time I got it to boot normally into Windows...up until it detected the video card and tried to install the new drivers. The screen goes black as the video card stops sending a signal.

It can see the VGA portion of the card, but when it tries to kick over to normal video, it dies. This is a Dell machine without onboard video. The card is an nvidea geforce FX5200. My question for any computer geeks out there is, how would a dead CMOS battery affect the video card?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know enough about puters, but do you think maybe it could be the video card?

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the next thing I plan to try, Cisco. I hope I still have an old one lying around.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any power surges or spikes lately?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have old video cards lying all over.... I put them in drawers, cabinets... in containers upstairs... they're everywhere....

Until I need one. Then all I can find is sound cards.....

and vice versa...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no guru either..but here in our village in Mexico we replaced a few CMOS batteries in the school's computers and they booted up just fine.

Didn't mess with anything else though.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forwarded your problem to a friend o' mine, and he said (and this is only a guess and possibly way off target) that you might actually have downloaded a bug that is in the computer itself.

Though it is only a distant possibility, if all fails, can you go online still and download combofix and get it to run? In safemode? Just a possibilty if swapping video card don't work.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. The death of the battery seems to be what started the problem, so I doubt there is malware involved. The machine was working great the night before.

I just realized it isn't seeing my SATA drive, so it can't boot from it. I'm actually booting into safe mode on another drive that has an old windows install. The SATA is detected by the BIOS, but it won't allow it to boot. When I try to choose it, it fails because it's like it isn't there.

I may just reformat the IDE drive and see if a new install will fix the problem. This is getting rediculous. Too bad safe mode has icons the size of alaska. I would use that for a while.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hard to watch cartoons in safe mode!!!!

crazy that a new battery didn't solve the prob.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

When all else fails, there is always the option to use a bigger hammer.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have similar problem with a computer where i work, where every time it is started, boots and beeps that cannot find drives. have option to press f-1 and then it will continue on into windows. been doing this quite a while. got some time to try to find problem but no fix yet. computer tech where purchased says to quit messin with it and bring it in. backed it up today and tomorrow goes out for service. have a pci device which i attempted to diagnose with, but says there might be some kind of a busframe issue; whatever that is. leaving this to tech. your issue could also be motherboard related. this one is a dell also. good luck.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Russ...get out and buy yourself a mew computer!

[I Don t Know]

[ March 03, 2010, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you lost me. you say it's a dell with onboard video and then you also mention a video "card". Is this really the case? do you actually have a video card plugged in? because this would be absolutely possible. If this is the case, your cmos did a reset which would be defaulting back to onboard video, instead of the actual card you have installed.

I could be understanding you wrong and the only video you have is the actual onboard (not a card) video.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 911 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Bruce, it does not have onboard video. It's got an AGP video card installed. I wish I had the cash to go with Si's idea. I'm getting tired of messing with this problem. I'm just glad my data is still intact on the drives.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!