Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » NEW! Walldog Museum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW! Walldog Museum
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walldogs and Letterheads:

There has been a new development in Pontiac, IL. City officials were so impressed by what the Walldogs accomplished in Pontiac last summer that they want to open a museum in honor of the Walldogs this spring. They came to us shortly after the meet and have been working behind the scenes looking for a building and also trying to determine what a Walldog Museum should be about. It is because of the Dog's involvement in the event that it became such a success. My family and I want to thank everyone attending once again for the beautifully designed projects that were left behind. We will do our best to see that these projects are well preserved.

After much debate a name was chosen for the museum. It will be called the "International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum". This museum is the idea of some of our city officials and is not intended to compete with the National Sign Museum in Cincinnati, so the emphasis will be on wall painting.

The building they chose is across the street from the courthouse. It will be renovated and staffed by the city and will include historical information, pictures and examples pertaining to commercial wall advertising murals and signs. It will have sections dedicated to the heritage of the craft, the current Walldog movement from Allerton, IA on, as well as wall crafted signs along historical Rt.66. There will also be a gallery section available for any Walldog who may want to exhibit artwork for sale. This may include hand painted signs, pinstripe panels and other artwork. The duration of the exhibits and any consignment has not been decided and any input as to how that should be set up would be appreciated.

There has been interest in showing videos of past events. There is a room in the building that could be used for this. Our business has many videos and pictures to contribute and we could sure use any others that you feel would be an asset.

There is no cost for the Walldogs, and we hope that your thoughts about what you would like such a museum to represent would be welcome. Any work and photos that Walldogs would like to donate or lend to the museum would be VERY much appreciated. A dollar amount could accompany a donation so that we could document the contribution for your taxes.

The city has also obtained a 32' x 20' barn wall with a "Mail Pouch" advertisement on it. It'll eventually be installed when a proper space becomes available.

We feel the museum will help promote what a special experience it is to have a Walldog festival in a community. We hope that as time goes on the museum will be a success and that Walldogs and Letterheads will visit often and think of it as a place to call home. You will always be welcome with the same friendly enthusiasm that was exhibited by the good folks of Pontiac during this past summer's event.

Since we have no prior experience with being involved with a museum and the city does, we will assume an advisory posture and hope that we will be able to convey any thoughts and wishes that Walldogs may have about this venture.

The city council was informed of the museum at its last meeting and the funding particulars are being set up. Renovation of the space will begin soon. The building has approximately 2,400 sq ft. available for the museum. Painting, track lighting, tearing out a wall or 2 and installing some brick wallcoverings have all been mentioned. This space had been rented by a travel agency.

We now have a database set up to help communities interested in having a Walldog festival. This information will allow us to introduce communities to Walldogs who live close to them. Also if a community does not want a Walldog festival, but instead wants a mural or two, we will have a list of Walldogs that those communities can contact to get the projects completed. We hope it will provide work for those interested.

Although there have been Walldog festivals sprinkled throughout, the majority of them have been in the heartland of the U.S. Illinois has had the most. It would be great to see other areas call on the Dogs. It would be even better to have more Walldogs so that there could be more festivals, because they are FUN, FUN, and more FUN! Let's get it going and we hope that everybody can drop by to visit this new museum.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Faulkner
Visitor
Member # 2511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Faulkner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Faulkner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who's gonna do the sign?

your efforts are paying off in a big way
-thank you Diaz family!

Posts: 724 | From: Florissant, CO | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about being embrsed!!!! Pontiac (& of course the Diaz cllan) ROCK!!! Glad I was there!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news Bill hopefully it will help spawn more Walldog projects.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Walldog museum will be pretty cool. I have a ton of photos from several past meets if they will help. If there is anything I can do along the way let me know. Thanks again Bill, Jane and Family!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Elmgren
Visitor
Member # 11536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Elmgren   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Elmgren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great idea. Gotta love the city of Pontiac.

--------------------
Eric Elmgren
ericsignguy@comcast.net
A & E Graphic Signs
Park Ridge, IL
"The future isn't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

Posts: 192 | From: PARK RIDGE, ILLINOIS | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They just keep pushing the bar higher! Great idea!

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a great new development!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Idea.

Perhaps a hall of fame could be included based upon the book, Ghost Signs?

Both of the people and signs.

[ January 26, 2010, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Kent Smith ]

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a great idea!!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too applaud such a move...

For years it's been a dream of mine to start a hall of fame for pinstripers, this is wonderful news for walldogs...kudos....

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea for a museum. It will show other towns how having a walldog meet can energize a town and improve it's image with murals.

Maybe they can use an "honorary Mayor"! It would probably go to Jay or Dan anyway.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your idea Kent. But they should call it "A Wall of Fame"

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie Alexander
Visitor
Member # 11426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie Alexander   Email Ellie Alexander       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everyone! It’s Ellie from Pontiac Tourism. I just want to say how excited we are about the potential of the new museum. Of course, we are thrilled to be creating a place which will preserve memory of the men and women, the techniques, and the accomplishments of the early Walldogs. But, at the same time, we are equally pleased to have the opportunity to work with the modern Walldogs to promote their goals. We hope that you will all share your professional histories, personal stories, and artwork with us. We envision a museum & gallery which not only entertains the visitor, but serves as a reminder of the art and artists who helped make outdoor advertising such a vital component in American commercial history. Please contact us if you have anything which you would like us to consider as part of the museum.

--------------------
Ellie Alexander
Pontiac Tourism
115 W. Howard St.
Pontiac, IL. 61764

Posts: 17 | From: Pontiac Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pontiac is starting to become "our" town. Keep up the good work and of course you know you have our help.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pontiac continues to amaze - it's easy to have a "big idea" but it takes people with the knowledge, skills, and energy of Ellie, Bob and the fantastic citizens of Pontiac to make things HAPPEN.......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David C. Petri
Visitor
Member # 6645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David C. Petri   Email David C. Petri       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's AWESOME!! Congratulations to the Diazes!!
If you need any help, let me know. You live in a fine town, Bill. A perfect spot for it.

--------------------
David C. Petri
Flying Peach Custom Paint
Green Bay, WI 54302
cell 920-246-7821

Posts: 79 | From: Green Bay, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BUMP......thought something really worthwhile deserved another go...

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished up a logo for the museum. Next step is to add some color. Dad plans on hand-painting this on the windows of the building. I'm hoping he will do some gold leaf [Wink]

-

Then here shortly, I want to post some of the ideas we have been talking about at the meetings. If you guys have any ideas for displays or exhibits, let us know.

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe,

Have you ever considered putting up a post showing us the process you go through in creating your designs? The museum logo is top notch. I'd love to know what you go through (as I'm sure we all would) in arriving at the final design.

I'm in awe of your talent.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Nice work Joe!

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Logo Joe....can't wait to see it in color!

One of the questions I hear most often at Walldog events is "how do you transfer the art up to that large scale"?

It might be nice to have some examples of how the layout process takes place....here is one that I had to go back in and nail down the details on.....1/2" on art = 1'-0" on wall......just thinking out loud here?

-

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killer logo, Joe. Who's the lefty signpainter?

How can we contribute to the museum?

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an extraordinary affirmation of what you good people did there!! I know I enjoyed all the pictures, and must admit, wished I was there helping. It looked like such a cool thing to be part of. Congratulations on the positive impact you made within your community - something to be very proud of.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We didn't want it to be one specific person, and even though the design was kind of based on a photo of Bill becuase we had a bunch of photos of him to work from (at the right angle, at the right placement) we tried to make it vague enough that it wasn't TOO obvious who it was. And we flipped the photo in honor of my brother. He was an oldtime signpainter that a few of you have met at some of our mini meets but he died unexpectedly a couple years ago. He was mainly a lefty but I have seen him start a line of copy with his left hand and finish it with his right! Sadly we didn't have any photos of him painting that we could work from. But he's the one in OUR vision of the painter. I miss him.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I like that idea Dale.

Tom and Kathy Durham had an idea where we would collect all of the T-shirts from every event and string them up in the building on a clothes line.

There is room in the back of the building where we plan on projecting movies including the documentary from last summer on to the wall. And creating a small little movie theater.

Since we have so many photos, we also plan on utilizing a few flat panel TVs that will have photo slideshows on a loop.

I had an idea of setting up a full scale diorama of an actual project. We would set up a heavely used scaffold and place mannequins wearing walldog clothing with brushes in hand and paint cups next to them.

Anyway, more ideas to come. [Wink]

Here is the logo in color:
 -

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, looks dynamite!

Dale, looks like you did some studying to achieve your project, I remember seeing the finish of it...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, that's really nice. I love how you work the light. I'll be looking for a t-shirt with that design. Good job

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spectacular

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Tom and Kathy, seems like a bed and breakfast with Pontiac auto theme would fit right in! I also really liked the Victorian themes they have in the beautiful homes there too. What a cool town, now a museum for walldogs, nice.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carole Bersin
Visitor
Member # 5710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carole Bersin   Author's Homepage   Email Carole Bersin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great logo Joe.
I'll be down in Chicago for a week at the end of March. Think I'll see if I can drag my dad down there for a little mural day trip.

--------------------
Carole Bersin
Carole Bersin Painting
3527 24th Av S, Minneapolis, Mn 55406
cbersin@visi.com

Posts: 211 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baty
Deceased

Member # 9776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baty   Email Mark Baty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, Jane and Joe,

Great work and ideas all around!
May I add to Dale Minor's idea to include
an educational display about how the work is
done, past and now. I was just reading a book
on Leonardo DeVinci, and it was obvious the
author was unaware how he had transfered his
image to the surface of the wall mural.

Mark,

--------------------
Mark Baty
Mark 1 Studio
1980 SE Leeann Drive
Waukee, IA 50263

Posts: 45 | From: Waukee, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!