Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Free Standing Waiter Sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free Standing Waiter Sign
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this going to work? He'd be made out of 3/4" MDO, printed and painted.  - He'd be all screwed together. Maybe someone has tried this and it didn't work. Or, maybe there is a ready made product for the man, you know, to stand him up.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia;

That would work perfectly providing the slot between the cross pieces is close to the thickness of the panel (man). It could be made a bit simpler if you leave the cross pieces off and slot the base pieces and the panel (man) directly together.

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did one of these of a baker for the pie department for a chian of grocery stores, five years back. He turned out very fine, but then I found a dozen, full sized, carved, painted, Chinese made, bakers at Nebraska Furniture Mart for half of what I charged, The carved guy had his palm out where you could even set a pie on it! I could not resist turning the grocery chain manager onto the pieces and they turned out being met with great success. My 2D version looked fine and they paid me for it, but gave it back to me and it now stands on my deck, advertising "Pies for the Holiday Seasons". It always pays to look out for your client's best interests! They have remained a loyal client.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the number to the Chinamen? What, did they charge like $100.00 ea. Shgeee! Well this guy is gonna be a wine steward, holding a couple of bottles of wine.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston McCall
Visitor
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston McCall   Author's Homepage   Email Preston McCall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They ran $220 each. Mine was actually $600 for the one, but would have run $400 ea for 11 of them. Of course, there was another $50 ea shipping for the Chinese ones. Still, they did look so much better.

I also did some of these guys at a big finance lot where they used old spare tires to weight them down and could roll them in at night. Also did a couple of Caps looking very pfficial with whistles in their mouths... The braces seem to work best of the are adjustibe as the wind will blow these around.

Now along those lines, now that you mention a wine steward, I also did a standing bartender years ago that was out of 3/4 plywood with a spring loaded arm that when you stepped on his foot, the arm would spring up with a bottle of tequila in his hand. He was painted very realistically in latex and acrylics, but looked awesome. It was for a party a friend of mine was having and I spent days on the guy. I love making these 3D and 2D characters, but any more, I gotta charge for them.

--------------------
Preston McCall
112 Rim Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico
text: 5056607370

Posts: 1552 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creative Banner has spider feet. I think the larger size is suppose to hold up to a 4x8. 2 metal pieces put 1 on front, 1 on back & bolt through the MDO. I used the smaller ones for some counter signs & they worked great.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it will work great to me.... I'd like to see a picture of it when you're done...

You need to charge something for it though... I don't think it should be free. [Wink]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,

Here's one I did last year - it's only four feet high. Made from MDF (it's inside) and painted in one shot. I made the base as an oval of ¾" MDF and cut a slot in it to take the "body". I did have to put a couple of braces up the back of the legs, though, to minimize the flexing of the body.

-

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rollie Eldred
Resident

Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rollie Eldred   Author's Homepage   Email Rollie Eldred       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few of the signs I did for last year's Detroit Autorama.
 -
I later made these nice folding easels for the others:
 -

--------------------
Rollie Eldred
Ashtabula, OH

"Making the World Beautiful...One Sign at a Time!"

Posts: 66 | From: Ashtabula, OH (Really Saybrook-on-the-lake) | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that is a cool econoline bar.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rollie Eldred
Resident

Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rollie Eldred   Author's Homepage   Email Rollie Eldred       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cisco! It was a pleasure constructing a few years back! That's an "Honor" coming from you!
link:
http://www.showvans.com/showvans/rollie/econobar/index.htm

--------------------
Rollie Eldred
Ashtabula, OH

"Making the World Beautiful...One Sign at a Time!"

Posts: 66 | From: Ashtabula, OH (Really Saybrook-on-the-lake) | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a cool bar, Rollie. I wish I hadda thought of that when I was trying to decide what to do with my old similar Econoline years ago.

Why didn't you call me........?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Alicia,
I was wondering if this stand up wine guy is going to be outside or inside. ¾" plywood is really going to be heavy and will need strong bracing and a heavier base. If he is going to be used primarily indoors, why not try using ¼" thick scooter board? It is pretty rigid and cuts great with a sabre saw. Your base idea will work great but I would still brace the back of his legs with a triangular support sorta like a paper easelback for countercard displays.

I made a 5'5" tall court jester for a New Years Eve party (First Night celebration) out of ½" thick white foamboard and made a easelback support out of coroplast. It was for indoor use for photo ops for the kids. Digital print vinyl and a few hours labor and we were done.

I also made a 8' 11" tall stand up of the tallest man in history, Robert Wadlow who was from our area in Alton, IL. He was ½" thick foamboard and we used a vertical banner stand and mounted it to his back so he could stand straight up without leaning back at and angle.

That turned out great, but only for indoor use.
If you have to cart the darn thing around, it's much easier using lighter weight material for your customer. If he is going to be in a windy area or outdoors I can see using MDO or DiBond for something stronger. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Okay, I ordered a couple of these sign stands  - They came from this place, Sign Brackets I'll post a pic when I get all done.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, you are the production queen!
I love it.

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia,

Let me know how they work out. Those are what I was talking about at Creative Banner. I've used the smaller ones for counter displays, curious about the bigger ones.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!