Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Revenge of the Pea Shooter. (4 axis Routing))

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Revenge of the Pea Shooter. (4 axis Routing))
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was goofing off this weekend and decided to build a 4th axis for the SB from some old machine parts I had laying around. Here is a test part I made from an old 4x4.Trying some different designs and depths.

Getting ready to do some work in the house, I think some decorative spindles are in the plan.

((Don't Laugh too hard at my Ghetto table.. Its 10 years old now and still does the job. (And its paid for).))

-

-  -

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY NICE Bill!!! I watched a video last week of one of them in action. They look pretty slick!

Are you able to create these type of routing files and if so in what program??

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,
This design was done in Artcam. I just laid out my Flat blank to the Diameter/width with you PI*r2 formula. so it worked out that mt 4x4 once turned was 3.25 which gives me a 10.210 Circumference so I made my blank 10.210w x 22t. Did all my layout. Just imported some stock stuff I had into AC.
Wrote all my codes, then used a program called CnC wrapper. (Slick program for $25) and it converted my codes to run the indexer. I did it as my X axis converts to my B Axis and it changes it to degrees instead.
Pretty simple actually.

I also use a program called Rhinocam that will do continuous 4 and 5 axis machining that way I can machine stuff in full 3d with undercuts.

I am in the process of developing/Building a machine. (My Vertiroute Series)that will be able to machine items out a full blocks of 4ft x 4ft x 10ft or longer material.(Foam or HDU).. Once I Get my patent # I will post more details on it along with some other specialized CnC tools I have designed.
Since I've been a little slow I'm putting my down time to good use. (Kinda)

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you just won the router wars!!!!!!
That is amazing Bill!
I can't wait to see more.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is absolutely incredible Bill. Nice job.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill - my eyes are rolling around inside my head like marbles in a tin can.... Not sure what your Chinese explanation all means...but I do know this...THAT was really cool! Nice job!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work Bill,

And it's all done with a Pea Shooter and lots of creativity.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that is some cool stuff!

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, your 'ghetto table' is really impressive, so are you! Well done!

(Our router has spare sockets for a 4th axis to be attached to the control board. The idea of a rotary axis is tempting. Did you get a 2nd-hand lathe chuck & servo, or new? You wouldn't need a limit switch or start/end when all you do is rotate, would you? )

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a cool idea! Looks great Bill.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that is one impressive piece of work.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did he say? I have no idea what all those words mean, but I do know that you produce some fantastic work. Congratulations on using your creativity.

And here I am still trying to cut out a square.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Cat said!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2283 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it when the mind is put into the creativity mode and something like this emerges.

Bravo. Ok back to tearing my router apart.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Was goofing off this weekend and decided to build a 4th axis for the SB from some old machine parts I had laying around.
I was goofing off this weekend and so far have rendered our RV unusable for the promised Thanksgiving camping trip with the grandkids. I need to apply some of your creative genius to getting the RV back in functioning form.

Great job!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what size is that rotary chuck?

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is WAAAAY cool!
Another question or two.....
What type bit did you use?
I have an old machinist's lathe; can it be adapted to use for this?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Thanks everyone.. It was fun now on to the large version.

Ian, Curtis, Wayne
The Rotary axis is an Old Sherline 4 Inch Rotary Table with a 2 to 1 reduction allowing me to use a stepper as that gives me a .09 degree resoultion which is great for items up to 8" or so. I had this from an old mill setup.

(The next setup may be all servo driven as the resolution is much higher but very high resolution can be achieved with steppers and the right gear reductions at the cost of speed.)

The Stepper motor was new I bought New from Keling is a Nema 23. And I had to buy a Gecko Driver that I installed into the shopbot controller.

http://www.kelinginc.net/StepperMotor.html (They're a great source for do it yourselfers as you can buy parts or whole kits)

As for the Limit switch. I had one on there but was useless as you said all it does is go round and round so I took it off and just reset my zero once I get the blank installed.

Wanye You could use the lathe chuck but would have to modify it to accept the drive shaft from the motor.. For a direct drive system along with a mounting plate. Pretty easy task with a lathe and mill.

I would look at transmission setup using a gilmer belt. (Toothed belt) with corresponding gears to increase the resolution you can get them at all different resolutions. This may be the setup I use on the big machine so I don't have to buy such honken big motors. (Or even a car timing chain.)

As for the piece at hand. I started with a scrap chunk of 4x4 from an old pallet. Did my roughing/Round with a 1/2" bit.. I got a little aggressive by trying to go to fast and lost about 5 degrees so I had to slow it down. (Tried it round the board at 20ips OOPS)

Did my roughing cuts with a 1/4 flat with a .08 offset then the finish cut was done with a 1/8 ball bit with a 8% overlap.. I did do a section with a 1/16" ball bit but really didn't see much improvement so I stopped. Total time machining the part was about 8 hours.

I machine the item along the Y Axis. By doing this it gave the rotary tables stepper a break instead of always turning. The Y carriage would cut then rotary would turn 1/2 degree then the y would go back. with the x axis never moving.This is called indexing.

For continuous machining whereas all 4 axis move at the same time you need special programs designed for this. I use one called Rhinocam that's an add on for Rhino 3d and that's a whole other monster to get into. I will post some samples of that next week.
Hope all this make sense.. There's a reason I will never write a book.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Bill!

I was wondering, when you said 'now on to the large version', how you would fit it under the router head, but I see you dropped the chuck & lathe parts below or down into the bed...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bill!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm impressed Bill! It amazes what people on this BB can do! Amazing! I envy your talent!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Dan is interested on it you know you have a winner.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Bill,
When you are turning a piece like that, at the end of the table, does the x axis remain stationary?

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Wayne,
On this piece and most work the X axis is not used.

I'll try to make a video of all 4 axis running at the same time. I'm not sure if my controller will support a full 4 axis continuously running.

I need to make a part file for that and see

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with MultiCam this morning. Apparently they have a 4th axis router now in production. This may just get real interesting...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Tell them, I can be bought if the price is right.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!