Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Where can a bro get a haircut?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where can a bro get a haircut?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for an African American barbershop. Cool name huh? What do ya think? Should I delete the barberpole? Thanks
 -

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd keep the pole. Maybe reduce it a bit to be more in balance with the Brough's panel and do some tweaking.

I love the guy's sense of humor.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delete the barber pole...or at least make it smaller. It doesn't need to be so prominent. IMHO.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the very serious risk of making a politically incorrect statement....

shessh should I or shouldn't I???

OK since the client has a sense of humor...

How about keeping the barber pole and adding an "Afro" type hairstyle effect to the globe on the top of the barber pole?

Just a thought, since you asked Wayne.

If anyone is offended...please direct comments to my junk mailbox!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you said that instead of me.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benefit of living in Canada Glenn?? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Hmmmm....why do I get the feeling that no matter how I answer that someone is going to get their panties in a twist. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it....except for the hugly barber pole:

-

The Barber Pole is an ancient symbol for barbers and is easily recognised...even by illiterate people.

[ August 26, 2009, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn

I don't personally care how twisted you panties get...leave me out of it. I no longer care, or want to be involved, with anything you have to say. There is too much BS going on on this board. I wish everyone was more civil

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

See! [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

This still isn't quite right but it was worth a shot...

-

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, your original pic didn't convince me that the thing behind the text was a barber's pole, till after I read the writing, and then saw a glimpse of a stripe.
The white circle/neg space on top attracted my attention before the text did, also.

I think Si has remedied all of those issues really well, though.

For a bit of lsteral thinking, could you incorporate a smaller, skinnier pole into the B or the H instead?

For some additionally peripatetic thoughts, do you really need the word 'shop' in the sign at all?
Over here, 'Barber' says it all.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Couldn't resist....

-

[ August 26, 2009, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I like what you have there... I do think that the barber pole would be more recognizable if it could show a little more of the red, white and blue striping part. Maybe you could reduce the size of the base and cap of it a little...

Overall, cool logo and cool name for the business!

And on a side note......

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Ogden:
I wish everyone was more civil

..... he says after a snarky comment towards Glenn, who had not even posted anything out of the way....

Jeff, I find it interesting.... I have seen a lot more snark and insults directed TOWARDS Glenn than I have seen FROM him... I guess since he was passionate about his views, and explained them articulately and civilly in a thread where a lot of other people posted their differing views with personal comments towards him, that he is now the bad guy that needs to be avoided. That seems pretty harsh.

Edited because upon re-reading, what I wrote seemed a little harsh as well..... I do hope what you wrote towards Glenn was in jest, however....

[ August 27, 2009, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Here's a just a quickie. Its a fun exersize.

-

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Jeff,

I thought you were just playing along to my response to Dave (which frankly I thought was brilliant on your part).

But, if I really have upset you somehow, please let me apologize to you. I didn't realize I had offended you.

[ August 26, 2009, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone has something negative to say about another member, my take is one of three things. Either private message, email, or if "man" enough and passionate enough, pick up the phone.

Personally I would not belittle myself in a public forum such as a bulletin board.

Attack someones actions - not their opinions or them personally.

To your question Wayne, have you considered adding the pole to the "H" with a fade between the two?

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, my friend, Don't you know Afros went out in the seventies? Where have you been? [Big Grin] But I think this might be more interesting if I could somehow add more of an AA suggestion to the design. Actually, this customer told me that he does some really creative stuff like cutting words and designs into people's hair/scalp etc.
Hey...maybe a graphic of some cornrows or something? I don't know.

Thanks for the great ideas, guys. I'll try a re-work tomorrow.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(OK, I hope my layout opinions weren't taken the wrong way- just trying to help with some alternative thoughts.)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just adding my thoughts here.

This is exactly the type of post we want to see more of. Good design is no accident. It's learned by observing the work of past masters such as Atkinson, Millar, Stevens, Harper and others. Gary Anderson always comes to mind as a great source for design ideas. Here's an example.

70 Gary Anderson Signs

I gotta be honest. There are many times I wish I could super glue Glenn's cut and paste buttons, but I have to give Glenn his dues here.

It's refreshing to see people actually take a few seconds to draw up and present an alternative design. Good job Glenn.

The next step is to expand on why one design just looks better than another. There is reason. It's all in Mike Steven's book Mastering Layout and Design.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJ Duvall
Visitor
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJ Duvall   Author's Homepage   Email TJ Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he doesn't have one already, can you incorporate an actual real, rotating barber pole somehow?

--------------------
TJ Duvall
Diamond State Graphics, Inc.

New Castle, DE 19720

Posts: 396 | From: New Castle,Delaware | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
if I could somehow add more of an AA suggestion to the design
maybe alter your colors to green, red and yellow?

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Maybe it doesn' need a barber pole? Here's a simulation of a sandblasted version. Maybe that red needs a thin white outline?

-

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I really like it with a barber pole... just think it needed a little work... kinda like Si showed, but maybe not quite to that extreme.... just my opinion.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I am the rookie here but here goes.

The shape of the pole competes with the the shape the name is enclosed in.
Glen's black and white is better but doesn't show enough of the pole's stripes to quickly communicate that it is a barber pole. Show the red, blue, & white stripes.
Simply raise Glen's pole and keep the size he has it at.

-

I learn a lot here by seeing others responses and why they would change something. I am greatful I can learn through this forum and thank those who respond and try for constant improvement.

[ August 27, 2009, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Brickman ]

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might cut off the bottom part of the pole, slide the copy up, and then add a larger border to the whole thing.
 -

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, the barber pole is a key element... I like what john has going...the colors are right and tying the border into the border around the barber pole works well visually for me.

My only suggestion as an improvement to John's image...is that I think it's important that the barber pole show at least a red stripe followed by a white stripe.... so it actually visually cues you in to a traditional *striped* pole. Right now it looks to be solid red....my only quibble.

But yeah, I think John's is working the best for me...nicely done.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for my 2 cents..........i like the pole, like the wording as is in waynes 1st post...........BUT THAT SPACE AROUND THE LETTERING IS WAY TO THICK......
thin it and the leave the barber pole.......and the barber pole will be more visible.
SI YOU TRYIN TO START SOME THIN....you mean all black are ILLITERATE???????? SEE......glen didnt even go there.......hahahahahahahaha
BUT THEN AGAIN......his FLOYDS post.......is offensive, my wifes family name is FLOYD....her uncle was "pretty boy"......so watch it glen. hahahahahahahaha

[ August 27, 2009, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

I agree with Todd. I like where John is going with the design. It looks much better.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP, chill baby, I think Glenn was referring to Floyd the barber from Mayberry, whose feeble attempt at making it look like he was cutting hair resulted in his hands shaking over the customers' head. Or he could have just been putting up a typical Letterville panel where many of them contain humorous phrases.

Anyway, back to the topic, Wayne, I would keep the barber pole. With hair salons becoming so prolific, barbers are proud of their true barber heritage, sort of like hand letterers in our industry. I think it is a very important part of the sign. I agree with others, show a red stripe and part of a white one at the top and a blue stripe at the bottom. Si is on the right track, I just think his rendition has the pole a little too skinny and too tall. This sign will be a winner.

[ August 27, 2009, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Good comments, but I still find the white balloon on top of the pole too visually dominating, as it currently sits. Si, in making it a light grey, took the starkness out of it which really helped, IMHO.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know "exactly" what kind of shop or client (or his clientele) this is... but IMHO the whole direction may be wrong.
Glenn's picture post drove it home for me.
You say the guy does creative styling but the whole barber pole and old fashion text (a banner even)thing has me thinking gray hair and crew cuts.
About as bologna and mayo on white bread as it gets.
... but maybe that's what he wants. (traditional and cliche)
[I Don t Know]

[ August 27, 2009, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Mark Matyjakowski ]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Well,
I have never been in an AA barbershop but I'm not past giving it a try, if for nothing but to see how 'traditional' his shop is. I'm past due for a visit anyway. The customer has a barber pole on his business cards so, he must think it's appropriate. So I'll put it back in.
Thanks guys!

[ August 27, 2009, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!