Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Painting Tires

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painting Tires
Dave Hunt
Visitor
Member # 4637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hunt   Email Dave Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who wants to "white letter" his tires. I've tried in the past with one shot but it wasn't very effective. Any ideas?

thanks in advance

--------------------
Dave Hunt
Derby Line, VT

Posts: 157 | From: Derby Line, VT | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you can get a marker for that at the auto parts store.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This paragraph was taken from a SketchKult forum in regards to the same subject
"I have a customer who wanted the lettering on his tires done in orange, I was advised to use Ronan Aquacote. So far it has been over a year and he told me they are holding up very well"

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That quote is from me, I asked on here and that was what was suggested and has worked well. Mind you this car was not a daily driver, which would be subjected to weekly washes and the like.

Seeing as you want white, I think a Tire Stick would be easier.

[ June 24, 2009, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes David Thompson you were the poster and this is my quote

quote:
There are those who do and those who don't do. Experimenting is the key to learning
Joey Madden

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the 'olden days', we used to do our tires with Mar-Hyde. It was a paint made for vinyl, rubber, leather, etc. Worked pretty well as long as you weren't into scraping the curbs.

I don't even know if they still make it, but it was pretty good stuff. I recolored the seat on a motorcycle I had with it .....then about an hour later, spilled gasoline on it. Didn't touch it.

Auto parts stores and body shop suppliers used to carry it.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update, the owner of the car I did the tires for had louvers punched in the hood which required repainting the hood. I went over there and put a stripe and a little lettering on back on the hood, the tires look as good as the day I did them. I asked if he was taking any special precautions on cleaning the tires, he replied that he treats them the same as any other tire.

So it looks like the Aquacoat is a very good paint for tires.

[ July 11, 2009, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Duplicolor has "Hot Tires" pens that should do the trick. They come in white, red and yellow and VIP can get them for ya. They go for about 7 bucks.

Hope this helps...
Rapid

[ July 12, 2009, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a water-based banner paint years ago to signwrite a business name on a 10 ft diam. caterpillar tyre, as the front sign for an earthmoving contractor.

It's still fine. It was done in the 80s - just plain white, but about three or four coats.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1-Shot Poster Paint sticks to rubber. It's worked for me.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!