Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » metallic silver pinstripe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: metallic silver pinstripe
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a call today from someone who is wanting some straight line striping on an antique car. He mentioned matallic silver and I am trying to persuade him out of that as I just hate doing metallic anything with 1-shot. It just never has acceptable, even coverage, especially when pulling a long line. Durability is also am issue. I just stay away from the stuff.

If he insists, can you offer me any advice? I am not familiar with HOK. Is their silver decent to work with?

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use HOK when ever I want a silver or gold pinstripe, you just need to use their reducer. Another option is Sid Moses "MoLac" lacquer thinned with lacquer retarder. (have not personally used this)

If you are concerned about durability you can use hardener in the HOK or clear it. (I like to wait a couple days for that.)

Depending on the year and type of car, the original color may have been gray rather than silver. If this is a restoration rather than a hot rod, some research might be necessary to be sure of the proper color and stripe placement. I believe some of the late thirties and early Packards did have a silver stripe....

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use 1-shot met. silver for striping. I certainly guarentee to the max, that it's gonna be just about all gone in about 9 months. Try the HOK. Practice a bit, on someone else's car before you do your customer's. But if your don't want to go through the hassele of using another paint, do the striping maybe first in Med Grey then go over it in silver. At least when it starts to fade, it might not look as bad.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a buddy and I did a carshow a couple weeks ago and someone wanted silver lines. we mixed up a dove grey (black, white, drop of imitation gold)... halved it with met. silver.

doesn't have the same pop as just silver but covered well and just enough "sparkle" in the sun

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOK silver is difficult at best. DuPont Hot Hues silver is far superior in all aspects. We switched over to the Dupont on our silver and gold over a year ago. I used some silver to letter a truck a month or so ago and was very pleased with the results.

The drawbacks ( and you knew this was coming ) is the price. DuPont urethanes only come in half pints. I think I paid like $46 for the last can. Also, we had a can of the DuPont catalyst jell up on us long before it was used up. The gal at the paint store said she was hearing the same thing from others. On the bright side, HOK catalyst seems to work just fine with it. Be sure to follow the recommended ratio. DuPont calls for 3:1

If you go with the Dupont and upon mixing it, you find it too runny for your taste...let it sit for a few minutes and it will get nice and workable. The brilliance of this stuff is amazing and it leaves almost no brush marks on over strokes like O.S is bad about.

[ June 05, 2009, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: George Perkins ]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at napa today and saw some on a roll [Smile]

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forty lashes with a wet trout for Jason.

[Wink]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd answer this question but the fact is that although most all of the newer paints really suck because of the lead or in reality the lack of lead which causes persons to become immobile and remain at a standstill, this is what really sucks.

We all had an advanced look at what was going on and what was being removed from the shelves not so long ago. There are others including myself who I feel are on top of their craft and made it necessary to acquire and keep acquiring paints and materials of yesterday until they have exactly what they need to keep doing what it is they have been doing for years.

I personally use 1-Shot and HOK both lead based paints along with remnants of Chromatic and some others which I cannot remember the names at the moment along with the formulas we all used back when these paints were kings. Along my way I visit with shops, ol'sign dudes and supply houses which may still have these paints in the basement just sitting there and I offer the bay them or trade for whatever makes the deal.

I find both the HOK and the 1-Shot silver of yesterday to cover as it did when these paints flourished and you can to, that is if you can remember when it was made by the companies who owned them. Such as the case of 1-Shot which was originally owned by Consumers which I must have enough to last till I croak, same goes for Chromatic where on the lable will tell you where it was made, should be Stony Point NY I believe. Not all bulletin colors are just that as some of the formulas were for the lettering paints for manufacturing reason.

Ahh, what can I really tell you that I haven't already done in all the years I've been on the BB whereas most were too busy trying to prove me wrong and now are in deep dodo trying to find newer paints to cover their ass so to speak.

Oh well, that's all I have to say [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone. I found out that the car is a '37 something and the color spec calls for silver, but like Jim Moser said, it is actually a light gray.

As for Joey, I never did stockpile paint but rather brushes. I keep them in a sealed tupperware tub with a few moth balls in there. I have some Langnickle gray flats as well as a bunch of blue handle French Luco gray quills, my favorite. These must be at least 20 years old or more. These are fantastic brushes as I still am using some purchased around that same time.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt, I can send you enough leaded silver paint either in 1-Shot or in HOK to do that vehicle. As far as the color, it may be silver with white added for coverage as they done it that way back when. In the past when I had problems, my dad would give me pointers on what was used when he striped factory vehicles.

If need be just call my cell phone at 541-660-1092

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Curt, I can send you enough leaded silver paint either in 1-Shot or in HOK to do that vehicle.
Hey Joey..THAT is a nice offer, along with the advice about adding a bit of white.

Curt..take Joey up on the offer, He showed me some of his stash of paints and he'll send you the "real stuff".

(Sorry if I make you look like a "nice guy" Joey!!! Wouldn't want to damage your reputation!!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] )

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!