Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Static cling Question???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Static cling Question???
Buren Harrelson
Visitor
Member # 9381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buren Harrelson   Email Buren Harrelson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my clients who has a restaurant wants to get decals for his windows that say Special & other things. No big deal except he wants to be able to remove them & put them up at will. I have some white Avery Static Cling & wandering how well it would hold up as far as being taken on & off. It will be printed & thinking reverse on the inside window. Any better idea's is appreciated. Thanks, Buren

--------------------
Buren Harrelson
Vinyl Ink
Whiteville,NC

Posts: 162 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only used it a few times (I used the clear, not the white), but it seems to work well. You need to caution your customer that if the material gets dirty it can lose its "cling". My guess - and its only a guess - is that they'll get 3 or 4 uses per piece, IF they handle and store it carefully.

That said, digitally printed paper posters might cost less, be disposable, and they can change their offers every time. I guess it depends on how often your customer is going to use the same "specials".

If they plan to re-use them every month, then maybe a hard-laminated piece would serve better. (Hang it in the window with suction cup hooks.)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done similar in the past but done on Polystyrene ( you could use other,Coroplast, etc.) and cut out to shapes like the "special" cut out in a starburst shape.

Small tabs of low-tac two-sided tape really works great. When not in use just remove the tab of tape and add next time around.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've screen printed and edge printed on static for years. White static is usually first surface printed. It's face printed and stuck on the outside of the glass. For interior placement we reverse print the static and overcoat with white.

I know that you will get some adhesion from the face side if you print it but I don't think it will be a secure and reusable as the other way around.

I'm with Scooter and Sam. There are some very light weight banner tracks that you can snap in posters and hang on windows with the suction cups. MUCH easier for a client to hang. Large static can really look like crap it not installed correctly. We've all seen it in McDonalds and BK's windows.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buren Harrelson
Visitor
Member # 9381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buren Harrelson   Email Buren Harrelson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, I rather go with some type of substrate myself. That would be better for them anyway. Thanks again

--------------------
Buren Harrelson
Vinyl Ink
Whiteville,NC

Posts: 162 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oracal has a new removable and repositionable vinyl:

Orajet 3268, 6Mil, Special low-tack adhesive that enables graphic to be moved and reapplied, 3 year durablilty.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!