Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Doug Allan, Joe Diaz and Jon Aston are proud to re-introduce: www.islandsign.com

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doug Allan, Joe Diaz and Jon Aston are proud to re-introduce: www.islandsign.com
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's been a long time coming, because I had thought of going another direction, and later backed out of that when I realized I wasn't ready to take all the steps that were in my court at that time. But this past winter I finally started up another serious push to decide on a designer, get a general theme & a few other important structural decisions made, & take the plunge.

Joe Diaz agreed to help me with the project & has not let me down with his willingness to try all the appropriate things I wanted to see, advise me if I had less appropriate ideas that didn't fall within the limitations of flash, xml, html, or my budget... and most of all, to follow my encouragement to let his design sensibilities bring my site to the next level by incorporating his own ideas on top of the ones I would throw his way.

Another shout out goes to Jon Aston of Marketing Partners. I've sent up my praises for Jon's consulting services many times because we have worked together on and off for several years now & have had some fairly detailed discussions of my website going back almost 2 years. Jon has been a valuable sounding board & source of constructive criticism during the design process, but even more importantly, he was integral in helping me visualize the essence of my web sites message, it's target market, it's specific objectives, and it's functionality.

Over the years of working with Jon, his ideas have educated me so well that I have to give him credit for some of my own ideas now too! Jon has countless hours of discussion and feedback into this web site. Of course Joe has countless hours too. (well, he's a pretty sharp business man... so he probably counted them)

Anyway, I'm sure both of these guys will enjoy showing off the new web site almost as much as I will, and I'm sure they know I want them to chime in on this thread.

Before I forget to mention it, the site is not completely done. I thought it would be good to start showing it off here before it's done, but be aware there are a few things incomplete. If anyone wants to advise me to scrap it & start over ...well, all opinions are welcome ...but there are a few things I already know I need to fix... and there may just be a killer suggestion I wouldn't have thought of, so please feel free to offer any constructive critiques. It is a flash site, and some load time trade-offs have been made in favor of "bells and whistles" I realize this won't align with everyone's view, but I'm OK with that trade-off.

You will also notice a blog link. That area will need a lot of my personal attention, but it exists as a magnet for my SEO concerns. My contact page is a first draft after my first day of exploring "Constant Contact" I am not at all satisfied with the first draft of my verbiage, as well as the exact look and feel of the interface, but I am confident the advantages of "Constant Contact" will be worth the effort, so tweaking that area, and all the incomplete areas of the blog (FAQ, etc) are my personal responsibility.

With those qualifications of the incomplete nature of this first unveiling out of the way...

...please feel free to check out www.islandsign.com and let me know what you think!
I put this in the "portfolio" forum, because the main focus of this web site is to show off my work, so don't miss the Gallery. Joe went beyond the call, to give me the type of gallery I wanted & I've never been more proud of how my work looks all in one place!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Doug, very well done. A nice mixture of technology and old fashioned skills. [Applause]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Beautiful and very well done

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. I like the gallery set-up.........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the gallery a lot. It's really easy to navigate.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Nice! Here is something interesting.

When I opened it for the first time, the Island Sign Logo appeared up in the left corner of the monitor along with the birds. After paging through I closed out and came back here.

I read Russ' post about the Gallery and went back to take a look, since the first time I just glanced and did not wait for it to open.

When I did your logo was centered. [I Don t Know] I closed out and re-opened a couple of times and could not make it appear in the corner.

Maybe just a glitch on my end.

It sure is a nice site. Doug you have done some beautiful work.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it....

Only critique is that for me, on dsl, the image transition for the main web page is very slow... the gallery took a while too.

Design critique, which I'm sure you've already considered, is that it might have been nice to actually, somehow, have the 'island' image rise up out of the water verses showing in the sky above the water. To me, the island configuration within surrounded by water makes more visual sense, and could nail the visual reference home.

Just a thought....nice job overall though.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great site. My first visit had the same result as Sam's, however.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an improvement Doug, very nice site [Applause]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first visit also had the same results as Sam's...but subsequently has loaded every time properly...very very nice site...I love it...my only critique...and it could be only personal preference because no one else has mentioned it...but I found the wavy effects as the portfolio pics came forward to be bothersome...maybe I'm too used to having things appear so immediate on the web...although a great effect...I began feeling a little sea sick while viewing and soon wanted them to appear more immediate and without the effect...just one opinion...of course the wavy effect goes with the water theme...which was your intention and that's a pretty neat idea in and of it's self.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I appreciate all the comments & the feedback.

The centering glitch has appeared sporadically during the design process. The fact that it is less likely to occur twice, makes it more challenging to troubleshoot. Joe is the expert here on everything except my concepts an content, so he knows all about this & we hope it can be resolved.

Todd, you are correct that the animation approach you mention was thought about from my earliest vision for an animated flash intro. Budget is the limitation to blame on that one, and therefore an area the site can evolve in time, if I wish to do so.

Rusty, your comments point to the area of most concern. Kelly also mentioned that when I pasted the link on Facebook, and a number of similar comments resulted from posting for the signs101 crowd. One other person did think it was intentional, as part of the watery theme. In actuality it is an anomaly I have little control over, related to the way Flash handles the moving images. I haven't asked Joe if there are tweaks to consider because the Diaz web site has a bit of that as well.

I guess my intentions to include all the same content on the blog site, www.islandsignmaui.com will be one way to offer viewers an alternative. Joe's gallery pics(Diazsignart.com)are smaller & seem to be a bit less wavy, so I suppose that could be another option to consider.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problems but now it seems to work. I think it's a great site. Well done!

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a killer site. That is something to be proud of.

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome site!

In the services section the little scroll bar button thingy didn't really catch my eye... first time through I thought the first three services were it. Second time through I was studying the moving water effect (starting to become annoying after a few minutes)and caught the scroll button out the corner of my eye... hey, more services.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it!

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool, Doug. I think it's great and the little bit of wavy effect on the gallery viewer doesn't really bother me that bad.

I noticed on your 'Our Facility' page it says you have a 63 foot large format printer. Now that is BIG! WHOA! [Wink]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Thanks Jon... got a few typos etc, on the list... that is one to fix for sure [Smile]

...another cool feature that probably won't see a lot of action, and is sure to be overlooked by many... but is cool anyway... did anyone check out the full screen mode? Top right side of control panel...

--------------------
Doug Allan

Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Main page did load slow for me too.

I clicked on your services page and read the first three and thought it was done. Just as I was going to go to the gallery, BAM, more services! I think it should be more apparent that there are more pages of services.

Overall though, I think the site is awesome! The layout is very interesting, but not distracting from the content. That is definitely a top site in my book.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a very beautiful site! Personally I do not enjoy all the bells and whistles on sites like this, I'm probably too impatient, and I can only take so much moving things on the screen, then I just want to get out of there. But that's me, and not to say there's something wrong with it. I wish you best of luck with it and much success. It's great to see your ambition and business sense!

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!