Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » kill this font

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kill this font
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992364819927171.html?mod=yhoofront

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree... but it is easy to weed.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comic Sans doesn't bother me. It's like any other font. It's good for some things, and not for others.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you wanna kill somehting...

kill scriptina, the font of any high end wedding place.

Also kill curlz, he chosen font of anyone with a home embroidery machine.

and lets kill ANY font the could be used as letterhead on newpapers so "out-of-towners" wont be tempted to use it in all caps of their back windows

theres my monday kill font list

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so relieved to see this. I've hated Comic Sans since I first laid eyes on it and I couldn't explain why. It was just a visceral reaction. In fact, I actually thought there was something wrong with me because of the reaction I had to this simple typeface.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know this was a world-wide phenomenon and now I feel vindicated.

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 15 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed reading the history of the font. To many people, "fonts happen". I like to know who made it, and why.

As for the font itself, I've used it. (In comics, even!)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind it, as long as it is not too large and used in the proper format.

I just saw an ad in an auto body magazine that looks like it was made in MS Paint. Of course it was full of loud colors, helvitica and comic sans. The comic sans looked terrible how they used it . . .

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Comic Sans when used in the proper format. Hobo is a font that's on my kill list. It's just an ugly font that is over used around here.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All fonts have rights......
Im calling the Font Police on Ken....
he is being "fontist"....

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can grow to hate almost any font which has been used to death. Especially if it has been squished, stretched, distorted, or filled with diamond plate or chisel effects.
I was just saying to Karyn that Lithos is like the mullet of fonts.
Some fonts just do not remain in style.
Others are classic.
Crillee and Serpentine are "stick a fork in me" fonts. Overused, overcooked.
Comic Sans is more like gummy macaroni.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the fact that the word "Font" is even in my vocabulary!

I believe there was a time, long ago, when you actually had to have some talent in order to paint a sign or letter a truck.

Now we have computer buffoons claiming to have enough knowlegde to make fun or complain about a typestyle? Are'nt these the same people who think Old English, done in all upper case is cool looking?

[ April 21, 2009, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comic Sans does not personally bother me. I use it whenever I am doing a cartoon bubble.... like when I doctor up a photo of OP.

I also occasionally use it for listing drafting type of specs.

I don't use it for general body copy or headlines or logos.

This, like all fonts has it's useful place....well, some fonts don't have a place at all. I too would put HOBO on the cancel list.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Bull Sign & Custom
Visitor
Member # 1876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im surprised nobody's mentioned Algerian the most hideous overused font on every computer They stretch it.. squash it but whatever is done to it it still ends up lookin sh...t
and to use it for trucks ...what is wrong with these people

--------------------
Terry Bull
Sign & Custom
Grays Essex England

www.signandcustom.webeden.co.uk
www.pinheadlounge.com/terry

Posts: 317 | From: Grays ,Essex ,England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of Algerian first thing!!!

I can live with almost any bad or overused font, even crillee and serpentine and whatever.

But that Algerian font .... ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I was forced to letter an entire truck door (I mean I filled that door up from edge to edge) recently with Algerian because the guy's wife had to have it.

Didn't bother me one bit to get paid for it!!! But I wouldn't lay claim to it!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
University Roman is another one that makes me gag. [Bash] People like it because it looks "old fashioned", until I show them what a REAL vintage letter style looks like.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comic Sans is aptly named. I have never seen it in a comic book. Comic letterers don't leave that much of a mess behind them.

AND WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE rename Arial to something that starts with a "Z" so the quicky sticky shop has to look at the rest of the fonts they got with their cutter!!!!

Just sayin'
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brush script makes me hurl...especially when its arc-d....aaaack, i think i just vomitted in my mouth.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another font I avoid like the plague is Times Roman. So many designers have been taught that it's a "classic" - I find it cold, stilted and mechanical. Almost anything from the Caslon, Bookman or Garamond families have more style, integrity, and life to them.

How have your tastes in letterstyles changed over the years? For example, I used to love Goudy Bold; now I can't even look at it. [Razz]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one that's been in style is Papyrus. Some of the geniuses that sell signs like to tell customers that it can be made into a 12" channel letter. [Bash]

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even Papyrus looks good in certain situations. Unfortunately, most customers choose to use it for all of the other situations.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry Hargraves
Resident

Member # 6837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerry Hargraves   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Hargraves       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I was the only one who was sick of Papyrus. I really like some of the general letter forms but I'm going to scream the next time I have to paint it and it's shadow onto an awning.

--------------------
Kerry H
Kerry's Signs
Vallejo, CA

Posts: 160 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baty
Deceased

Member # 9776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baty   Email Mark Baty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time a customer wants to select their favorite font; tell them yes--if I can pick
out your next automobile.

Mark Baty
"Color Guru"

Sometimes I wonder why they come to us.

--------------------
Mark Baty
Mark 1 Studio
1980 SE Leeann Drive
Waukee, IA 50263

Posts: 45 | From: Waukee, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda Yoder
Resident

Member # 7340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynda Yoder   Email Lynda Yoder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anybody else out there that didn't know what font meant? I thought they were alphabet styles. Geez. Lynda

--------------------
Lynda Yoder Wayne
Yoder Signs & Designs
4735 List Rd
Grass Lake, MI

Posts: 154 | From: Grass Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!