Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » giving marketing advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: giving marketing advice
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a customer who is a tight spot with her coffee shop. She's just a couple of doors away from the busiest Starbucks in the state (according to her) and needs to draw attention to her shop. She's got next to no money but is hard working and well connected.

I'd like to help her out with some guerilla marketing ideas but I don't want to just give them away. I called Dan Antonelli and he suggested putting them in a presentation format, thereby giving them some credibility and substance, and easier to charge for.

Does anyone here have a strategy for this kind of thing? Should I just ignore the whole idea and concentrate on the money-making activities in the shop? She is well connected in the community and could give me some stellar referrals.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could she roast some beans and let the smell out into the street?

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did another marketing package with a trash company. It was a step by step process because they had no money as well. So, I sold them a progressive series of projects with profit. Never give them full details just an outline. Yard signs. Truck signs. Flier packages all of it with an identity. They will cry about the cost but deny the increase in sales when it comes. So charge accordingly. Each step leads to the next. I know for a fact the trash company increased the client count because of my work.

He cried like a stuck pig when he had to buy a truck load of new carts to cover the new clients. His yard had 54 carts in storage. Now its empty. That plus the truck load of new carts, and he got rid of the deadbeat clients all meant a nice increase of business. He was well on his way of getting the minimum amount of new clients he needed to make a real profit. Then he stopped the package.

So, overall his income rose accordingly all with just a small cost spread in the long run. Did it mean another check for me? Nope, as with most amateur business persons they cannot or will not associate the increase in business with the marketing. He thinks its a one time thing that will continue to work. Even though he keeps asking for it the next step will not appear unless he pays well for it. So, soon the momentum will fade.

With you its almost the same thing. She an amateur marketer with no money. So step by step and charge for each step. A baby step at first.
They do not wish to pay because they have no faith. They do not know what they do not know. When they see an increase they fail to associate it with your work. So either get paid in steps or do not do it at all. I am doing a new package with a clearance house. Same deal. Step by step with a charge built in. Some will go the entire plan and many will balk at some final step.
That's my experience of the years for what its worth.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ft Collins seems like the kind of place that _could_ support a non-franchise coffee place.

that said, my first question is "are you qualified to give this person marketing advice?"

i don't know you, and i don't know how much you know about marketing. (making signs isn't a guaranty of knowledge about marketing)

if the answer is "yes" then sit her down, see what her buy-in is. is she willing to commit money? if not, then what can she commit?

otherwise, suggest some books (such as Conrad Levinson's "Guerilla Marketing" books, since he's the guy who coined the phrase, back in the 80s)

once she's read the books, then you can sit down and talk.

if she doesn't want to read, then she needs to hire somebody to do this for her. you, or somebody else. or she should just sell out to Starbucks and get into a different line of business. (or go work for Starbucks - they have great benefits package).

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Curtis: I like your incremental approach. Allows me to play out the string and charge with each step while not simply spewing out ideas that may be discounted because they're free.

Scooter: I appreciate what you said about my qualifications. I'm not trained in marketing but the sign business is a related field and 30 years in business has afforded me some experience that can be drawn on. Also I've read the Guerilla books and found them helpful. I agree 100% about her level of commitment--I don't want to do the work for her. I can only suggest actions that she may not have tried. (By the way, Ft. Collins is a great place for coffee shops of all kinds. It must be, judging be how many there are in this town).

I'm not going to devote a ton of time to this woman without some kind of idea about what she's willing to invest. Either time or money.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!