Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Life expectancy of printed Dibond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Life expectancy of printed Dibond
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the life expectancy of an image printed directly on Dibond? How long before the first signs of fading? Does UV lamination help?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the biggest bit of misunderstanding here, where there's lots of sun & UV exposure, is that people think a UV print, is UV resistant.

Not so. IT's UV-cured.

I can't answer your lifespan question, but I've found UV-lamination of digital prints is good here. We have one sign nearby I did about four years ago- and it faces the hot western sun and is still in good order- mostly in red & reflex blue on white.

It also depends on who printed it, and the quality of their ink & laminate though. I know of digital prints on the highway about 30 miles from here, (facing the sun-north) that have not lasted three years but become all washed out pale very quickly. It looks worse because it was a photo. Now it looks like a splattering of mud.

All those are on vinyl, applied to dibond, not printed on dibond though, sorry.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kelly

There are lots of variables. In our area, probably like yours, north facing prints will last lots longer than those facing other directions. Yes, laminate definatly helps. I have had lots of success printing on Oracal or 3M with comply. Hope this helps [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not actually providing thge product, just trying to figure out a comparison for a client. The directly printed Dibond is cheaper, but will it last as long as HP vinyl and paint?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure on 5 years MAXIMUM for a digital print - no matter what it is printed onto. (Of course, it could be LESS than that). Usually there's one color that will fade faster than the others (often it is the yellow), and so you get a color shift (everything become pinkish or blueish). If all the colors fade equally, it isn't as noticeable.

With paint or vinyl, you're probably looking at a 5 year MINIMUM and up to 10 years before you notice any change. Yes, there can be fading before that, but it probably wont be "noticeable". After that, you may have some fading, but it tends to be equal fading across the board, so its still not so bad.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can warranty up to 5 years... info here, info would be realtive to any ecosol inks and almost every company offers vinyls and laminates similar to those described by roland .

I've got prints out there for over 4 years now that are holding up well (some on economy vinyl)

http://www.rolanddga.com/color/products/media/material/detail.asp?tid=2

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weston Pulley
Visitor
Member # 10330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weston Pulley   Email Weston Pulley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On another forum, a credible supplier of direct to substrate UV prints, stated that UV printed substrates would only last 3 years even with laminate.

--------------------
Weston Pulley
WP Signs Plus
Nova Scotia

Posts: 44 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!