Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » enamel paint match to PMS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: enamel paint match to PMS
Brenda Daley Giuseppin
Visitor
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Author's Homepage   Email Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone! Been a while since I've been here!

I have job that requires a enamel paint match to a specific pms colour. Normally we would use 1 shot and mix ourselves to match.
However, this is a large job that will be continuous through out the year and I want to ensure that our paint colour is consistant each time.
Does anyone know of a high quality paint as 1 shot that we can roll out on aluminum laminate board that will last and can be matched to pms colour by manufacturer. It also has to be a canadian company as I don't want to be shipping from the states and over the border..too much hassel.
Brenda

--------------------
Ottawa Custom Signs
Stittsville, Ontario

Posts: 346 | From: Stittsville, ON | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brenda, It sound like you should just mix your own 1-shot and keep the formula on file.
I've done this many times.
I also use the COLORTONES formula guide to start the eye ball match, then adjust it from there.
I always try to keep the job simple as possible, using normal sign shop materials.
Use the hardener to make it last longer.
It works fine. Good luck!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now days, you can take a CHIP OF COLOR, to any high end PAINT STORE.......give them the CHIP they can MATCH IT EXACTLY.....EVERYTIME.... in either a good OIL BASE OR LATEX paint.
SHERWIN WILLIAMS
MOORE PAINT
HOME DEPOT
LOWES

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracie Johnson
Visitor
Member # 6117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracie Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tracie Johnson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the One Shot web page, there's an "Ask Louie" link which actually could be one of a few people answering your question. My last request was anwered by Brian the Brush. Anyway... you can send them your PMS color and they will send you the formula for one shot.

There might be some variances I guess if your remixing it at different times, but even factories can have batch differences.

--------------------
Tracie Johnson
Signovations
Ventura, California

Posts: 444 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sherman Williams Match's PMS colors for us in their industrial enamel line.

We are also looking at getting the Mathews Paint System that will match PMS colors so we can just mix our paints in-house. But I think Denco or Midwest Sign supply can also match it for you but they are here in the states.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Henningson
Visitor
Member # 7442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Henningson   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Henningson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brenda, we usually use One Shot but when we need an exact PMS colour we use Cloverdale Paint (www.cloverdalepaint.com). They can match any colour and their marine enamel is really good. I know they're as far East as Manitoba, but I'm not sure if they are in Ontario to.

--------------------
Tom Henningson
De Jager Signs
11474-156 Street
Edmonton, AB, T5M 3N2
CANADA
Phone: (780) 453-3636

Posts: 41 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP, I've found some of these you-beaut match anything machines fail dismally if I give them certain shades of maroon to match- like carmine.

They all guarantee to give a perfect match, till I turn up with a chip, and the machine figures it out & says it'll only work to within 15% of what we want. Doing it by eye & experience still works better for me, coupled with the Pantone swatch recipe book.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can match a little bit, you can match a gallon. If you're using a lot, 1-shot can even mix you a batch at the factory. (well, they used to,... I think they still can... for a fee... but it is a 1 gallon minimum.)

that said, my personal experience is that most times I custom match a Pantone color with 1shot, the color fades more quickly than one of the out-of-the-can colors. Not sure why, but I guess it has something to do with the amount of pigment and the kinds.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthews Paint.

They can mix to match PMS and it's good stuff.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brenda Daley Giuseppin
Visitor
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Author's Homepage   Email Brenda Daley Giuseppin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your posts! Greatly appreciated.
I took Tracie's advice and contacted Louie at 1 Shot and received an email back today from him with the formula I require to mix my own pms 3308. I'm so pleased and now can proceed with the job. Thanks everyone....and thank you Tracie! [Smile]

--------------------
Ottawa Custom Signs
Stittsville, Ontario

Posts: 346 | From: Stittsville, ON | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!