Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Love It or Hate It – Helvetica (again)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Love It or Hate It – Helvetica (again)
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many in the sign trade have a sharp distaste for Helvetica. Others love and swear by it (not at it). Love it or hate it, choice is your. One thing that is almost unarguable is its readability and use for many large corporations.  -

Not sure if this jump has been posted here yet or not; 40 Excellent Logos Created with Helvetica via webdesignerdepot. While I may not agree with the title (40 "Excellent"), they are recognizable and readable.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some of them are excellent. I think they were incorrect about the Dole logo.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing how simple (and effective) some really "big" logos are.

[ March 24, 2009, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Bill Lynch ]

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW that was an eye opener. it appears when other elements are added to a logo you tend to be distracted from what font it really is....i suppose a good question would be WHO has just helvetica without added embelishments or logos?

i like myriad by the way, just a little twang to it i dont care for arial

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracie Johnson
Visitor
Member # 6117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracie Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tracie Johnson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some really good, simple and effective logos there; however, a few of them are not helvetica...

--------------------
Tracie Johnson
Signovations
Ventura, California

Posts: 444 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, they look good. Helvetica, what are ya going to do? I guess it's better than a lot of other stuff out there. Stuff you cannot read. I do agree with some of the others that some of the logos were not true helvetica.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a month or so ago someone mentioned the PBS show on Helvetica. It was great and the sheer volume of logos and other graphics using this font was amazing. I did tape the show but you might be able to find a copy in your local library also.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about some of these logos and wondering how many of my clients would accept a line of type as a "logo"?

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll respond to Bill's post first (the last post)
Bill asks "How many customers would accept just a line of type for their logo?"

So I ask Bill,
"How many of your logo design customers are Fortune 100 corporations with a recognizable name?"

If you're branding a well known name, then your job as a logo designer is to get out of the way and let people read the name.

Some logos use Helvetica as the starting point, and then get clever.

FedEx crams the letters together to create a little arrow between the E and x.

Crate&Barrel just has a very simple logo to enhance a simple idea - right out of the box. They do it with just black and white.

American Apparel is ready to wear! (and also black and white)

Panasonic mostly relies on their name. Same for BASF and Jeep (but I think Jeep tweaked the ascender of the J -it seems a little shorter)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to improve my design skills, and that takes practice. So I just set myself the job of trying to use Helvetica to come up with a "type only" solution for

Bob's Shrimp Shack

I spent 45 minutes, and it was fun. Try it yourself and see what you can do. Or, come up with your own imaginary customer and sweat your type skills a bit.

Helvetica is pretty cool/corporate, so it is tough to warm it up.

I think the bottom design painted in Dark Bronze, with "shrimp" filled in with Coral, could be real nice. It still needs some work, but its heading in the right direction.
 -

--------------------

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess, i'd be hard pressed to charge client money for a "typestyle" logo like that. I mean..people are trying to save as much as they can these days and here I come saying, "yeah, and your sign is going to be an extra $250 for the logo"
And it's just some type style logo like that, I don't know...I can't think of many customers I could look in the eye and charge $250 to sit down and type a few letters out.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter -  - , with both post’s.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that last one, Scooter- good show!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It ain't how many fonts you have, its how you use them.
[Wink]

--------------------

David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me a logo has to be a bit more than what any moron can type out on a computer.

Panasonic, to me is not a logo. It is just type for a company that got huge and became associated as a logo. If you had a little "Mom & Pop" store with a one word name in Helvetica, no one would recognize it as a logo.

On Scooters list, the only ones I consider to be a logo are #4 and 6, the rest are just type to me.

I consider these logos because of the different styles and unusal centering of the words.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!