Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » PVC Sheet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PVC Sheet
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last Signcraft had a nice how-to article featuring Wayne Bodley. The lettering on the sign was cut from PVC sheet and screwed to the background panel.

I've talked to many, many people in California about PVC and they ALL say that this stuff is not recommended for outside use. It gets hard and cracks upon exposure to U.V. light.

Do you guys and gals have different experiance with it? Do you have to coat it? Sure would save time if I didn't have to paint it. Does it hold up acceptably?

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Barlow, Good morning....Yes you can use it! The white will still need paint. Just scuff it and paint with a good semi gloss acrylic.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to expand on what John said,
when you paint the PVC, you are protecting it from the harmful UV rays of the sun. (this is the same reason you paint wood)

the other thing to be aware of is that the PVC will expand/contract faster and to a greater degree than most other materials. For letters under 12 inches its not a big deal, but for large pieces (such as a 4 foot long border detail or something) you need to allow for the expansion.

the letters are brittle, and can become more brittle over time, so they aren't good where vandalism or impact is likely. for example, if somebody throws a tennis ball at a 1/4" thick letter, if could crack. (less of an issue with thicker materials.)

the other issue with PVC is that the edges are porous and so you either need to fill/smooth them (extra labor), or accept a different texture than the face. they always end up looking "cheap" to me, and the cost savings isn't that great compared to other materials.

finally, all that said, PVC isn't a very environmentally sound product.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use alot of PVC and I love it. i do prime and paint all pvc white or not. I have noticed in the winter (or lack there of down here) if PVC is very cold it will shatter like glass if impacted. havent had a problem with any yet. we do alot of routed plaques and routed letters all have been fine

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used it a lot too. Just follow the precautions above, paint it good, and you should not have any real problems. Remember, many plastics get brittle when cold, and will crack (acrylics, for instance), so don't let that stop you. Just be sure to allow for expansion and contraction (oversize holes, etc.) Good luck

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ger, ask Ron P.
He seems to do a lot with it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used a lot of it outdoors on special projects and it has held up well for many years. But I would not recommend it for projects which will require large pieces (e.g. full sheets) due to the expansion/contraction issues, especially in brutal climates.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!