Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT Why this Grandpa's not been on the board much lately...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT Why this Grandpa's not been on the board much lately...
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandpa, Grandma, and five year old grandson David went camping in Big Bend National Park on the Texas/Mexico border.

Little David and I made a strenuous fourteen mile backpacking expedition to South Rim. We spent December 31 at 7424' elevation and got up to watch the sun rise on the new year over mountains in Mexico some eighty miles away.

I've spent the previous three New Year's Eves camped in those mountains with snow and ice and temperatures in the 18 to 24 degree range. This time, the thermometer didn't dip below 50 all night, although the wind made it chilly.

Following are some photos from our hike.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a cool tradition. But we're still going to need a bail receipt, doctor's excuse or note from your mom to excuse you for the absence. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Your grandson will have the most amazing memories ever! For that I thank you! And I'm sure you'll remember it too. [Smile]

I find it absolutely fascinating how each of us has such a different passion to bring forth and share with others in our lives. It really makes me think in terms of whom I'd chose to share the rest of my life with.

Breathtaking scenery!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tons of great memories in the making and I'm sure they will last a lifetime!

I would think we could excuse David just this once.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best part is Grandama waiting with Mac n Cheese [Smile]

Awesome!!

[ January 10, 2009, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cool man! Neat trip, neat photos....but I thought you said it was the 3 of you...didn't you forget to mention the professional photographer???

Or are you gonna try and make us believe that YOU took the pics? Yer a funny guy Dave.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David loved it. He said the mountains were "Beautiful!" When I asked him his favorite part, he said: "Throwing ouchies." It seems he enjoys jabbing fallen prickley pear cactus pads with my hiking pole and catapulting them off the cliff. I have no idea where he learned that bad habit. Musta been from watching TV...

There were loads of bear sightings but we never saw one, although I did figure out bears do not suffer from constipation and they don't do it in the woods, they do it on the trail. We were probably making too much noise and scared the bears toward the quieter hikers.

David wanted macaroni and cheese every meal (I know what will be in my pack next time) and I radioed Grandma from the top of Laguna Meadows Pass to place our order for Mac 'n Cheese two hours hence.

We've gone to Big Bend almost every year since 1966 and I've done the South Rim hike at least thirty times. I've backpacked the Grand Canyon and I feel South Rim runs neck and neck with it in the scenery department. It's about the same distance as hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back but about half the elevation change, although the Pinnacles Pass portion is every bit as arduous for its duration as the Bright Angel/Kaibab trails are in Grand Canyon. Once you get over Pinnacles Pass, the hiking is much easier from there to the Rim.

When I day hike the Rim, I go the other way around the mountains up Laguna Meadows Pass because the trail isn't nearly as steep that direction. When doing an overnighter, I grind up the Pinnacles trail first because it's a more direct route to the only spring up there, Boot Spring. That way, I don't have to haul so much water a great distance.

Of course, this year, Boot Spring was completely dry for the first time in my memory and I had to dip water out of stagnant pools in the creek bed. I hit it with chemicals, filtered it, boiled it, and flavored it, so we survived that nasty water physically and psychologically.

I've learned lots about backpacking with a five year old. Although he's 100% energy, it comes in 20' spurts. My GPS showed us stopped two minutes for every minute we were moving. To keep a steady pace, I learned to hold his hand and we'd walk hand in hand up the trail. I like to use hiking poles and I'd just collapse one and hang it from my pack and use the other in my free hand.

David wasn't the youngest person on the Rim New Year's Day. I met a man with his 16 month old son there, although the toddler had hitched a ride in daddy's pack. The father and I lamented that many children grow up doing nothing but playing video games and miss out on so much grandeur because they spend their lives glued to computer screens.

Two years ago, when I took David to Big Bend the first time, I hauled him on my back on some of the trails and started choking up as I reflected that when his momma was the same age, I hauled her on the same trails on my back, although I was only half as old then.

David's already bugging me to take him backpacking again. He calls backpacking "going to sleep on the big mountain" and even thanks God for the pretty mountains in his prayers. He also wants his sister to go along, but I haven't secured permission to take her camping yet, although I'm working on it...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, your trips are wonderful. What memories your grandson will have. Spectacular scenery and photos, what good wholesome experiences you are passing to the next generations. He will have the highest respect for this earth and all it's beauty. I think what you are doing is soooooo cool. Are you adopting?

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great trip David - thanks for sharing. Next time, your granddaughter should be sharing the sunrise with you and her brother - I'll vouch for you.....

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bec Bermudez   Author's Homepage   Email Bec Bermudez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is just amazing David, and so special. You are a great man.

--------------------
Bec "Phoebe's Mom" Bermudez
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, BC

Posts: 103 | From: Yarrow, BC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

James,

I bought Sophie a new 10 megapixel Canon digital camera for an anniversary present. It's lightweight, has 10X optical zoom, 3" screen on the back, shoots nice video, etc. I just had to test it out for her on South Rim. It took over 400 shots on one set of Lithium batteries and is still going strong. One of these days I'll be through testing it for her and she'll get to borrow it back.

A few years ago, I did sell to the Houston Chronicle some Big Bend photos of a hike up Mariscal Mountain and views 1800' down into Mariscal Canyon. I guess that does make me a professional photographer.

This is my favorite shot from this trip.

-

Here's my favorite from last year, shot on Lost Mine Peak.

-

Here's a couple others shot at Lost Mine Peak. David and I camped on the ridge at the right top of the picture and watched the sun rise from there.

-

-

I really like this one my wife took. I call it "First Bike Lesson".

-

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bookmark_this_page! Done.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What fantastic Scenery, memories, experiences. One of my lifelong dreams is to see the grand canyon, I'm hoping to be able to get there by motorcycle one day.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What fantastic Scenery, memories, experiences. One of my lifelong dreams is to see the grand canyon, I'm hoping to be able to get there by motorcycle one day.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a neat way to start a snowy, cold day in NYS! Thanks for your post, David!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grampa wasn't cool like you. [Frown] That is amazing! Sure makes you appreciate someone much bigger than ourselves. Your grandson can also get to know that "someone" too

I have had the opportunity to meet & work with you. Your energy level is unbeliveable. Thanks for sharing.

OK, I need a nap now. [Wink]

[Cool]

[ January 11, 2009, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Yeah!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Susan,

He does have great respect for the earth and its beauty is offended to find garbage on the ground anywhere. I have to reign him in at times for his own safety. When I stop for gas, he sometimes gets out and starts picking up the trash around the gas station.

We always come back with our hikes packing out more than we went in with. On the way back from Big Bend, we spent the night at a rest area to watch the meteor shower. The next morning, I took this shot of David with one of many armloads of trash he’d picked up at the rest area. The next picture is taken from another rest area where David was picking up trash until I noticed he was also gathering dirty diapers left on the ground, etc. The mountain in that picture and the next one is Sierra Madera, which is actually the central rebound peak from a large meteorite impact approximately 50 million years ago. My father and Gene and Caroline Shoemaker did the geological studies on it in the early ‘60s to determine its origin. A few miles from the mountain the road drops down a ridge which is actually the rim of the crater.

-

Another treat of Big Bend is the nightly Sierra Del Carmen show. The setting sun sets the del Carmens aglow with stunning beauty. The del Carmens get to 7424' and are just over the river into Mexico. The Mexican village of Boquillas is in the second picture with the Sierra Fronteriza beyond the del Carmens. The Fronteriza gets to almost 9000'. My sunrise picture from the rim shows the sun rising over the Fronteriza. The Rio Grande cuts Boquillas canyon through the del Carmens. It’s about 1600' deep and twenty five miles in length. I have canoed it several times.

-

Another major canyon in Big Bend is Santa Elena Canyon. It is 1600' deep and the canoe run, which I’ve done two or three times, is 17 miles. That’s my 85 year old father looking up at the canyon wall.

-

Here’s some more views of the exit of Santa Elena Canyon, including a picture of Santa Elena from South Rim.

-

Here’s a century plant with a tree that didn’t last a century.

-

This is window rock in the Grapevine Hills section of the park.

-

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
Super beautiful pictures.
those are going to be powerful memories in that boys mind, I'm willing to bet.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I wish my father-in-law ( or my own absent father) would spend any amount of time with my son beyond a quick trip for dinner.

We get accused of "doing too much" with our son. I suppose it is the pendulum swinging the other way since neither Paul or I had much involvement in our lives from our own fathers.

It is great to see that little David has such a great role model.

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for taking the time to share these beautiful moments. Your photos take my breath away.

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Nikki,

As you well know, there's no "doing too much" with children. They thrive on "quantity time", which beats "quality time", as long as the "quantity time" isn't just spent drinking beer and scratching. Doing things with children draws them close and helps you to be able to instill the standards you wish them to live by.

Just after he became a grandpa, I recall Rick Sacks saying something like: "I realized he was only a few hours old and I'd already taken him fishing eight times."

I felt the same way holding my grandson the first time--there were myriad plans of activities together, places to go, and things to teach him. Now, I'm getting to actually do those things. We've already strapped our backpacks on five times together and I hope we'll do it and many other activities numerous times in the years to come.

Edited to keep grandson from following my example in spelling.

[ January 17, 2009, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're a good Grampa.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dawgee.

Not a bad photographer,either!

If he passes on his sense of humour too, what are his great grandkids are going to be like?

That's if they can keep up with Great Granddad's energy level!!!!!!

I applaud you David!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your not looking to adopt a 50 year old grandson are you?
God bless you and your grandson for taking time to enjoy what is out there, and for being good stewards. What great time it must be for all of you.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is wrong with drinking beer and scratching?

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judi says Big Bend was one of her favorites where she hiked with her Dad and Gandad often. She also was a counselor at nearby Prude Ranch through high school. Brings back good memories for her so thanks for the photos as well.

Nothing better than the relationship with grandkids. I have 3 boys and 2 girls and had them all together for the holidays. Really a challenge with 5 at a time, ranging from 5 to 14 but I had fun anyway.

[ January 19, 2009, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Kent Smith ]

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

The Prude Ranch is a cool place. It's in the Davis Mountains (the second highest range in Texas), about 125 miles north of Big Bend. The McDonald Observatory is a few miles away. I've often thought if a person had been in the army in the 1800s, the prettiest place to be stationed would have been Fort Davis, Texas, just a few miles from the Prude Ranch. The setting there is just spectacular.

The Chisos Mountains in Big Bend are the third highest range in Texas and the only mountain range completely inside a national park.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!