Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Special Application for Magnetic Signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Special Application for Magnetic Signs
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local ambulance corps has a Dodge Durango that they converted into an emergency vehicle.
From time to time..the county 911 uses it.
I lettered the doors with 3M scotchlite.
When the county uses the vehicle,they put a magnetic
over the vehicle lettering.
the letters on the door are 2 color(2 layers) and are husky bold letters and are thick enough negate
the magnetics ability to stick to the door,allowing the magnets to blow off..
I suggested peeling the letters on the door and making a set of magnets for both users...who ever uses it puts a sign on it..they said that is not an option.
any ideas?

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Boone.... would static cling material go on over all that mess? I made some static cling signs that a friend puts on the back side windows on his truck, and they've never blown off when he's using them.

However, it's just white lettering on the clear static cling, and it goes down pretty tight to the glass. If you had to put a full background to cover the other lettering, it might act funny.

Also.... it ain't something they could slap on before leaving on a call. It's harder to get that static cling on smooth and tight than it would be a magnetic sign...

[ December 18, 2008, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could try to sell them a dozen of their logo
printed on oracal 3621 (removable) / no need to laminate. Nice for temporary application no glue residues.

that way they could just apply the graphics over the one that are always there. peel off when done...
then another set the next time...

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VHB Tape some tracks on the bottom, and up the sides of both door panels.
Then slide an aluminum sign into the slot from the top. The sign should stay put.
You may want to place some foam tape on the back of the sign to prevent scratching the vehicle's finish (remove the adhesive on the tape that's exposed - it's just there as a buffer and it will also make the fit tighter).

[ December 18, 2008, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Gene Golden ]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikey
If static cling will not work, they can always get another pair of doors! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gorilla glue!

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you gave them great options and one that would make sense, I see no other way to do this than to place both logos on mags and swap them out.

yes Len maybe they could use some roundtrack doors and pop them in on the pins for easy removal

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aluminum panels with heavy duty magnets on the corners. You can make the sign a size where the magnets won't hit the lettering but it really shouldn't matter.

http://www.florawrecker.com/catalog/tow-light-accessories-c-481_477_1_192/heavy-duty-magnet-120-pound-p-984

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh huh...get to going bout 60 mph and that wind gets up under that 1/8" gap and see if they dont flig off. He given them a great option I wouldnt go any further with figuring out solutions

they will come to their senses...one day

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikey,

You gave then the best option. There's no use trying to reinvent the wheel when the wheel's not broken.

Drop the design onto mags and yank the lettering off of the truck. Any other solution is probably going to involve some kind of hanging system,tracks, frame that'll just muck things up worse.

If they don't listen to your best solution, let them come up with a better idea, but rmember that you always have the ability to pass on any job if it's not one you want.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce...if four of those magnets will hold a 2'x2'x2' cube on top of some high school kids pizza delivery car running 80 through my neighborhood I think on the doors of the truck they'll be okay.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Oh i know what they are for. i just dont think it would work on the side of the vehicle. and when they use those "car toppers" dont they also have straps?

--------------------

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Oh i know what they are for. i just dont think it would work on the side of the vehicle. and when they use those "car toppers" dont they also have straps?

i think the whole subject should be dropped,best option was given, let it go

--------------------

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One company had a window glass service - 24hr/365days.

The owners were not allowed to "work" on the Sabbath.
Their gentile crews could, though [Wink]
To satisfy their conscience, they had a "flip-over" sign.
A piano hinge was placed along the centerline of the name (let's call it "Caplan's" Glass) and they attached a piece of aluminum across the center of the name section (the aluminum was half the height of the letters). When the aluminum was hinged down, it read "Caplan's".
When it was secured in the flipped up position, it read "Service".

So it was ALWAYS lettered... technically.
I think God could see through the attempt though [Smile]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Lens idear with the extra lettered up doors. Too bad it's not a jeep, for easy door swappage.

Dodges have funny body lines anyway.
But, if your magnets were a couple inches past your lettering all the way around I would think they would stay on. Mags show every spec of dust underneath, so you would probably eventually see ghost lettering underneath at an angle. [I Don t Know]

Or, maybe have them tape just the front edge of the magnets down, so the wind can't get under.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... surprised no one here has thought of THIS one.... be perfect for you, Boone.

Peel the durn vinyl off and PAINT the base logo back on. Then the magnetics would stick over the top of it......

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Tony...unfortunately...the lettering fills the area and cannot be overlapped with a wide margin.
Existing lettering goes all the way to the edges of the doors..because it wasnt designed to be covered up
I hate to not have a solution for a customer...but in this case...I dont think there is one...
a good idea for another post

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, my man that is the real solution you have there. If it were my job it would have been paint in the beginning. May the brush live forever!

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon,

Good idea if you live in the southern half of the country, but I tried that once up here where the road salts and sand are common place. Unless you clear coat over the painted lettering, the mags will probably do damage.

Despite warning my customer to keep the mags clean, he'd flop them on, often when the doors were covered in road grim. The on and off scuffed the crap out of the painted lettering.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikey Boone,

How about boosting the magnetic's power?

You can try placing another sheet of magnetic on the inside of the door if you can get access into it, then there would be a little extra "pull" for the magnetic on the outside.

Or a few of those magnets Patrick linked to would be easier to install through the door's support structure.

Or try doubling up layers of the magnetic to be applied to the outside.

If you have any steel or aluminum blanks laying around you can try mocking up some ideas.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Jon,
I don't think you want to letter with Reflective Paint, do you?
These are Scotchlite letters.

I'd also be concerned with the heat beneath the Mags doing damage and possibly peeling the paint off.
But it was a decent suggestion otherwise.

[ December 20, 2008, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Gene Golden ]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!