Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » need help with hanging large banner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need help with hanging large banner
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denny Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Denny Smith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received a call from a property manager out of state. They asked me to hang a 4' x 40' going out of business banner for a large chain retailer at the mall. I've never hung a banner this large and wondered what is the best method. The banner has grommets every 2 feet and will be attached to aluminum siding or concrete block. Should I use sheet metal screws and washers in each grommet or something else?

I don't want to pass this up, but I don't want to install it and have it fail. It only has to be up a maximum of 2 months.

Thanks in advance!

Denny

[ September 19, 2008, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Denny Smith ]

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Posts: 52 | From: Marion IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using screws and grommets would work. Tapcons (masonry screws) would work for concrete block.

I would get written approval for the install so you will not be held liable for damage to the facade.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you've got it Denny, use the sheet metal screws for the aluminum siding and Tapcons, like Bruce said for the block. I'd use small fender washers under the screws for insurance. By it being up against a wall where wind cannot really get behind it, I doubt you'll have any concerns.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and ditto to above

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denny,
I use nylon tap-in anchors.
Drill 1/4" holes into the block, and just hammer the anchors in. They have a mushroom head that will span the grommet.
For the metal sections, use self-tapping sheet metal screws.

This is a one-man installation procedure I've used for years. When working from a ladder, I use this method:
· I have the banner rolled up onto a cardboard core - for stability.
· I take a rope (about 20' or so) and I drop it through the core, and then tie a 2x4 to it at the bottom. This acts as a support for your banner during installation.
· You will tie the top of the rope to the LEFT side rail near the very top of your ladder, and only roll out the few feet that you are currently able to reach. You need to place it at the left in order to give yourself enough room to roll out enough banner, and you do NOT want so much banner exposed that it becomes a furling sail. To prevent the banner from rolling itself out like a roll of toilet paper, use a spring loaded hand clamp, or two, and secure it to the cardboard core on the top (sometimes on the bottom too, depending on size of banner - you'll need top and bottom secured for a 4'x40' ).
· Start at the top right end of the banner (if you're right-handed the first hole should go as far out as you can comfortably/safely reach - 2' or so) and drill the hole where the first anchor goes. Place the anchor through the grommet, and tap it in securely, but not "hammered home" quite yet.
· You are now in a position to then stretch the banner out a few feet to determine if it is level at the top. You MUST be level at this point, because whichever way you set the next grommet, that is the way the banner will continue to lay out. Drill and tap that anchor in, then go back and nail the first tap-in completely.
· Then repeat with the bottom right, then the next bottom grommet.
· At this point, you should be able to reach the next grommets to your left. Don't stretch to do so if you can't reach.
· You have secured 4-6 grommets, or 2-4 feet of banner.
· Now carefully roll out about the next 8 feet of banner, and then re-secure the clamps. You'll have about 8 feet of slack unfurled to allow you to move your ladder for the next section.
· Descend ladder, scoot it to the left just enough so you can comfortably reach the next unsecured grommet at your right.
· Climb ladder and continue drilling, anchoring, unrolling, clamping, and moving.

This is very effective, and depending on how your ladder climbing skills are (and if you have a decent drill), a 40' banner can be safely installed within an hour or so.
Try out this process near the ground in order to get used to the procedures, in case it doesn't make immediate sense to you. It really is quite simple and effective.

Disclaimer: If you do NOT feel comfortable on a ladder, or don't understand any of the above instructions, please do not attempt. I've been doing it for over 30 years, but it's not for everyone [Wink]

[ September 23, 2008, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Gene Golden ]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denny Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Denny Smith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene, that's the info I was looking for. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, and thanks to all that responded.

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Posts: 52 | From: Marion IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to get paid before the install....They are going out of business!

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Gene, since I'll more than likely be installing this by myself, do you have an easy method for figuring out where the first grommet should be anchored. It's going to need to be centered under the business sign and at 40' wide, I can't really measure that by myself to mark the center.

Also, can you explain a little more about the 2x4 you attach to the bottom of the banner. I assume it's perpendicular to the banner. How do you attach it to the core. How long should it be?

Going to put this up Friday. Thanks for the advice!

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denny,
I hope you got the email in time.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all again for the help. The Banner was installed yesterday and everything went extremely well - Thanks to Gene Goldman and his awesome instructions. Thanks so much for the emails!

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!