Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Trader Joe's Sign Jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trader Joe's Sign Jobs
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://jobsearch.traderjoes.newjobs.com/jobsearch.asp?col=dlt&lid=&fn=11454&q=&sort=dt&vw=b

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey kids...are ya gittin' my room ready or just
goofing off as usual?

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here that "thrives under pressure"? [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not for $8 an hour.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very telling on what has happened to the sign industry. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, I'd do it if there were one close by.
Health bennies and not having to deal with some of my sign customers?
Doesn't sound that bad.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way, I need at least $8.50 or no dice.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a bonified pinstriper my question is. Is that $8.00 for a minute's work or an hourly wage?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the links says $8 to $10 an hour. That is about right for the amount of experience they require, but it's still hard to see someone thriving under pressure for that kind of money.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carole Bersin
Visitor
Member # 5710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carole Bersin   Author's Homepage   Email Carole Bersin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was super slow and broke this winter I actually went out to apply for the Trader Joes job in Minnesota, which BTW is still being advertised, thinking that a few days a week of guaranteed work wouldn't be a bad thing. Their "part time" was 30 to 35 hours a week and you were to be spending a significant amount of time not making signs but being out on the floor stocking, checking prices and even cashiering.

Needless to say when they offered me the job I decided to wait it out until work picked up and I haven't starved yet. And they were offering $10 to $12 an hour here.

--------------------
Carole Bersin
Carole Bersin Painting
3527 24th Av S, Minneapolis, Mn 55406
cbersin@visi.com

Posts: 211 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack, You come on down anytime...we've got a room for you!

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE I need at least $8.25 per hour to support my upper class lifestyle. thats a little bit on the demeaning side for a professional dontcha think? I mean for the pay I wonder if they will let you play with some of those big ass markers they had back in the 80s for grocery stores and you get to play on butcher paper

but you know some idiot will take that job and save trader hoes a good bit of money OR the quality of their look will diminish.....mmmm Im thinking the latter

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chump change for someone with those qualifications. Rotsoruck suckahs!

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love these ads.

"Yes, you too can make chalkboard signs for our deli departments in between stocking shelves and changing price tags!!!
We'll pay you based on your experience the same amount as a dishwasher!!!
We'll also give you a minimal discount on food so you don't starve AND give us some of the money we gave you on payday back.
Heck, you don't even have to have a high school diploma, but it would be nice if you did know how to spell "pomegranate" when we put them on sale.

By the way, how well do you handle pressure?"

Yeah, here's a career move... [Smile]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You paint 160 signs and whaddaya get??
another day older and deeper in dept
Saint Peter don'tcha call me 'Cause-
I can't go...I owe my soul to the Company
Store

It's an OK job for a high school or college kid.
Less offensive than the ad I just saw for a sign franchise job, three pages of qualifications,basiclly capable of doing everyhting on your own, and you make $12/hour

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... so lose your job tomorrow, what are you going to do?

Apply at sign shops? Doesn't work, everyone tells you that you are overqualified because they are looking for a production worker at $10 an hour.

Now what? How long do you go before that Trader Joe's job actually looks good, because you need a JOB period??

Be careful the things you say about stuff like this, how many people here are totally safe in the jobs they are in?!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sit in an ac office designing and printing simple signs for the man at $12.00 an hour plus the health bennys. Sounds better than; Hi welcome to Wal Mart, if you are retired and need to stay busy while paying for your meds. All the alligator meat you can eat!

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot! I'd do it! But the commute would kill me!!

.....wonder if they have a fuel allowance?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I wouldn't think of belittling anyone who chose to take such a job as their "entry portal" into the sign business. There is a certain and sure dignity in earning one's daily bread through honest work, however humble.

Case in point: Didn't the late Mike Stevens once hold a very similar job of making the signs for a similar retail operation ? I believe it was there that he applied and honed his skills in making the banners & cards for "store specials" and in-store promotions. It was in just such a situation that remarkable speed and "eye for spatial relationships" developed.

Who knows if some youngster may come along and find that making signs is something he or she will develop a lifelong passion for ? Everyone starts on the bottom rung in this business, and if we all stop to have a laugh at the expense those starting on that bottom rung,we might find that one of those might keep on climbing until they begin surpassing OUR BEST EFFORTS. [Eek!]

Any job is what you make of it, and it isn't necessarily only about the pay scale.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, Ken!!

Heck, if I could hand letter well and Maple Grove wasn't something like 60 miles from here... I would love to make $12 an hour with benies!!!

The economy the way it is, so many people losing their jobs, taxes and everything else going up, its tough out there!

Bruce and I were talking tonight... I think too many people get too comfortable in their little spaces, and don't really appreciate what they have.

Until you lose it.

You wanna talk about thriving under pressure? Heck, sometimes its really more like surviving under pressure.

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see the signs and murals in the TJ's around this part of the country and they are not done by entry level labor, they're very well done.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya,, go from 6 figs a year to zero and see how long it takes to think a job like that looks good....

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it looked good, guys.
There is nothing better than a dependable weekly (or bi-weekly) paycheck.
When I had my "real" job at the hardware, I made signs there all the time. It was fun and I loved it.
I didn't even mind stocking shelves. But I hated being a cashier. I guess I'm not a people person.
After the week I've had, this little job sounds even better.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I read in the job discription, "good lettering skills" I think of that classic Bob Parsons cartoon about "the nice sign" [Smile]

The closest store to me would be the one in Georgia. For a part time job, the wages are higher than what they pay around here. How does the pay rate compare to where you are?

I have looked around their site quite a bit. They have some team members featured. The sign guy they have featured has a BA in illustration and goes in to work at 4AM [Eek!]

I've been looking for a part time job for a while now. Most places are like TJ here, they want you to way more hours than what I would consider "part time".
When I was greeted with the frustration in finding a suitable part time job, I decided to attack things on a different angle. I booked a whole bunch of car shows, bike events and what not in and around the area on weekends this summer. One small job on a bike is equal to more than any part time job would bring in.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jilly, you were the first person I thought of when I saw that ad.
Anyone who has seen Jill whip out panels at a letterhead meet would know she'd be perfect. She has an eye for color and layout, can knock em off one after the other, and comes up with clever and fun panels all the time.

I can think of alot worse jobs!!!
Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of a competitor we had back in the late 1970's when my father first opened up the shop.

Back then, a lot of grocery stores had hand-painted signs made from banner paper or butcher paper taped to the insides of the front windows advertising that week's sale item.

To get his foot in the door, Dad decided to offer a really low price so he could get his foot in the door -- $4 for 4'x6'.

He got laughed at. The other guy was doing them for $1 each.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting to see the different takes on a an entry level job....
of course when you figure in the value of benefits it increases the attractiveness,
many couples in the trades have one spouse work a "real" job just for the benefits (I'm talking in the USA where health insurance for a family can cost $5-12K a year).
But putting aside the benefits, what is the difference between taking a low paying job so signs can be created for a company at a cut rate price and doing the same thing as an independent sign maker?
If someone says things are slow, I'll take a job making signs for minimal wage that's OK, but then someone else says, things are slow so I'm going to cut my prices, and gets a pep talk on charging what you're worth and cheapening the trade?

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you look at the listings in CA, they are more like $13 - $15/hr.

I posted this thinking of someone like Jill who made the hard choice to work in the hardware store to bring in some extra cash - would she rather do that or do something like this where she could use her skills and creativity.

Dana is right as well, (and Curtis) - life doesn't always work out the way we plan. $10+/hr plus benefits in a pleasant work environment doesn't sound too bad.

Just for conversation sake, I have never encountered an unpleasant TJ's employee. They always seen genuinely happy to be there. They are small, clean stores that sell quality food products.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really a comment on the job, but doing this type of work is a great way to develop your skills.

Way back there in the old days I did supermarket paper signs (3' x 5') in my garage in the evenings. Usually about 10 or 12 different layouts for five stores - total of over 50 paper signs...all done in one evening. Great way to develop brush and layout skills. And the money wasn't bad either, if you could stand the boredom. Picked the copy up on Wednesday and delivered to one store on Friday - they then distributed them to the other stores.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and Raymond knocked Glen's dad out of the business!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Perkins:

The closest store to me would be the one in Georgia. For a part time job, the wages are higher than what they pay around here. How does the pay rate compare to where you are?

TJ's wages blow the local payscales to pieces. If you could get $8/hr here you'd be doing well and if you got $12/hr you'd obviously be in management - comparing with similar "entry level" jobs, that is.

That's why I also prefer to attack business in different ways when things get tight. I could work at a job, which I have no problems with, but what I'd get paid for a week's work I can make in an afternoon with one project, and chances are the job will zap my energy so I won't feel like trying to improve my own business. I've been there before.

Although, the TJ's sign job would probably be a fun challenge and diversion for me. Since I don't do a lot of handlettering it would be sink or swim trying to come up with a hundred snappy and unique mini-layouts every day, and I like the challenge.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a couple of their Sign Artist's contact me and "pick my brain" a little bit about doing Window Promo's. One of them approached me while I was on a job. Nice, a very good artist- type, but when it came to Lettering he fell "way short", although he does dabble in it on the side. I gave him a very critique, nothing too harsh but advised him on seeking out some Lettering Fundamentals etc. He thanked me and I never heard from him again. He was young and eager and should probably stay put for awhile, but hey everyone wants to "spread them wings".

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Ken Henry, mentioned about Mike Stevens, doing
the paper signs and showcards...That was in San
Jose, CA. I had the rare privledge once a week to
work with him at Mel Cotton,s Sporting Goods.We
would arrange a mess of different size cards for
sale pricing on varied items such as lanterns,
Tent stakes, Tarps and probably about 80 different
things. Mike was extremely fast and would do some
layouts for me to follow while he was knockin'
stuff out. He was doing ten pieces while I would
do three.
He probably would not have been there if he didn't
need the money.
That was around 1963. I would sometimes go to
visit him at Payless Drugs, on 1st street which
was the main art department for all the stores
and that was upstairs above the store. There were
about ten sign writers going at it most times.
I also worked partime at a display house which
did paper signs for a lot of stores in San Jose,
where Stevens, would also come to work on
occasions.
The only sign painters making money were the
shop owners and the billboard painters. they were
union members....
Every thing was done with brain and hands.
It was a lot of work but very rewarding and no
IDS crashes.

So...yea TJ's ain't so bad about right now.
Maybe 09' will be somewhat better.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich Stebbing, you are one of the few I look up too, you enlighten me through your work and friendship [Smile]

Not Jack, he's too weird

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Yup, Rich is one of the all time cool letterheads. I'm with you there Joey.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
Folsom, CA

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kimberly Zanetti:
Yup, Rich is one of the all time cool letterheads. I'm with you there Joey.

ditto [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!