Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » acrylic paint on colourbond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: acrylic paint on colourbond
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Stokes   Email Mark Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all interested to hear your veiws especially from the aussies, I am doing a facia with colourbond sheets(2m x 30m) wanted to paint the background useing solver low sheen acrylic as this sign will cop a bit of weather and sun. I think enamel will chalk up to quickly has any one had success painting acrylic on colourbond?

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs
Mount Barker South Australia

Posts: 388 | From: Mount Barker | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Browne
Visitor
Member # 3375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Browne   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Browne       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stoka i have done some large signs on the side
of factorys with acrylic paint, i was worried about
it sticking, you could scratch it off with your finger
nail a week later but after a couple o months it
was stuck like sh#t to a blanket.
As long as you don't have to mask it i would
do it!
Cheers Kev

--------------------
Kev Browne
Kevin Browne Graphics
Mildura Australia

Posts: 35 | From: vic.australia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Mark,
what colour will the background be?
That lo-sheen solver stuff actually does last very well, I find. It's not as gutsy with pigment as it used to be, but I have not had it fail me.

The other option is to scuff the colourbond first- highly recommended- as all colorbonds except signwhite are actually designed to NOT have stuff stick to them- they're meant to be easy to clean & not stain.

ESP is also good- but I'm not sure how it is under acrylic paint.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious... what's Colourbond?

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Stokes   Email Mark Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
colour bond steel is pre painted/powder coated white finish .8mm or .6mm thickness which has a plastic film covering it great for bladeing/masking. Ian the background is black was going to scuff the background with a scotchbrite. Was keen to hear other experiences with it.

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs

Posts: 388 | From: Mount Barker | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, just buy black "Signwhite", or black "Alupanel". We get it from Sign Sheet Distributors here in Sydney. Possibly you can get it there, or transport it. Might cost more, but is guaranteed not to fail, and there is no prep time or coating costs. Just do the sums.

Cheers - Gregg

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, Gregg's right- I've been using black colourbond, and black alupanel for a while now- virtually the same price as white, and no need to paint it black- far better finish.

Contact Troy at Signsheet distributors. (see front cover of Visual Impact magazines, if you get them, or Image magazines.)

You will need to scuff black colourbond if you want paint to stick to it.
It does work well with a scuff, a wipe with ESP, and an enamel coat rolled on top.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

never new it came out in black, what is the sheen level like is it the same as white?

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs

Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quality is very good. No customer will ever really be more "picky" than you are.

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

spoke to sign sheet distributors chick on the phone really did not want to know me as I was from adelaide not sydney.
She said it is a matt to low sheen finish is it colour bond fencing iron?

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs

Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Mark, try this maybe?

Major Tom
3 Mais Street
Brompton SA 5007
Australia
08 8346 7100

Cheers - Gregg

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Mark, I had a load of stuff shipped up last year from Sydney by carrier to a place nearby.
They now have a Qld depot.
Surely there'd be someone in SA with it.

Try a plumbing or roofing manufacturer. They usually have a mixture of colours.

The black is a lowsheen black, but it's nice.
Wobbles in the flatness don't show up when it's not glossy. You can stick vinyl to it fine, too.

It's generaly around $52 for an 8x4 sheet of black colourbond.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Signwhite??? sure it's not straight colorbond??. I don't know why i have never heard of this as in the past they produced colors such as yellow which I used for Kodak work and Red which was close enough for Coca -Cola, but I was told years ago that signwriters were too tight to pay for the colors so they started producing it in white only. If it is colorbond I would stay right away from it as colourbond has the silicone added to it which makes it different from Signwhite, as Signwhite was deliberately made to accept ENAMEL or 2/pak or lacquer paint.

[ June 04, 2008, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: david drane ]

--------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesigns@bigpond.com
Downunder
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Dave, I've scuffed it, wiped it with ESP, and rolled enamel on. AOK!
Recently I had a sign come back for a new logo, and it began life as green colourbond.I sanded it, did the ESP coat, undercoated it, and then put the new ground colour down. The old stuff had stuck really well- no peeling after six years in the weather.

(the reASON FOr reusing the old stuff was it had been cut to a certain shape, to fit in a certain place, and it used several sheets- so a repaint was no harder than a fresh set of cuts on new material- besides none of the new colours was white, nor standard, so a full painting was needed.)

Mark- test it first.
I don't know if the black is black roofing colorbond, or black signwhite.

Black Alupanel is very paint receptive, and comes in gloss & flat. The gloss is a high gloss.
Sizes available are 2440 x 1220, and 3050 x 1500 at 3mm thick.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

dave went to my local steel supplier they said the same thing, Ian I will look into alupanel but it is fairley expensive.

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!