Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » It took 30 years...........I finally did it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It took 30 years...........I finally did it!
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 30 years in business I finally stuck my thumb in the balde of a table saw!

11 Stitches!

I'd post a photo but you really don't want to see what a carbide blade does to flesh!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!
How about the other thumb? Is it still there?

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't hurt much but looks a mess.Years ago I got 44 stitches on my leg from a worm drive with a rip blade.Only did that once. I feel your pain.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Golden
Visitor
Member # 6870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Golden   Email Joe Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sends shivers down my spine man. Glad your OK!!

My son asked the other day why I made a comb lick push stick for cutting wood on my table saw, I think you should post the pic so I can so him your thumb rather then having to see his own one day.

I truely am sorry but so glad it was only 11 stitches.

--------------------
Sharing the WORD one sign at a time!!
Joe Golden
Signage
721 Oak ST, Madisonville KY, 42431
270-871-0454

Posts: 270 | From: Madisonville, Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darcy...I know what you mean...did that in 1952 while building a roof over the 2nd story! Mine took 56 stiches....been very careful ever since!

[ May 21, 2008, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never forget the time I stabbed myself in the forehead with a #1 Grumbacher sword in which the blood was dripping down my face and onto the floor. I was 10 years old at the time and my dad grabbed my arm and told me never to thin my paint again and to wipe the red paint from the floor. I still today thank God that I never have to use a table saw in my line of work.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a radial arm saw.....and right near it so i see it everytime i use..i got a little sign...
BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you're ok and I thank you for NOT posting picts.

My table saw scares the bejeebers out of me. It's been sitting in the corner thinking about what it did for about a year now.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! 30 years is a long time...I've got five more years to go....and I'm prone to daydream. But so far, I think about my guitar playing every time I get my hands near the blade and I use a wooden push stick. The band saw and mitresaw make me think of guitars too.... and Skilsaws make me think of femoral arteries. [Eek!]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arggggggh! But then "no brain ... no pain"
[Razz]

Over the years I've had my fair share of slice and dice. Left fore finger and thumb have a large number of battle scars from acto knives!

Worst accident I ever saw was an apprentice drilling holes in a steel frame. Drill snapped the tip off and he plunged the rest right thru the centre of his left thumbnail.

Panic stations while we tried to take the drill off the bit. Don't know how they removed the rest in hospital, but I bet his eyes were smarting.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you tell a good carpenter after 30 years?

He still has 10 digits!

Glad it wasn't worse ...I drove a piece of white oak half way thru my hand from a "kickback" a few years back so I know your pain.

Oh and for those of you that are afaid of power saws...stay away from them but if you use choose to respect them then use them carefully and there is no need for fear...at least til you try to cut off yer thumb like Vic did.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee McKee   Email Lee McKee       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nearly cut my finger off when I was a teenager. I sunk a circular saw blade into my finger length wise, straight down the middle - through the knuckle. Passed out on the way to the hospital. Something like 275 stiches. Till this day, everytime I hear a power saw crank my skin crawls and my eye starts to twich. Needless to say I am VERY resectful of power tools now and have not had an accident since.

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Posts: 277 | From: Birmingham, Al | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years back, a kickback forced my left palm onto a 3/4" dado stack - I'll never do that again. [Eek!]

Guys in the shop nearly passed out when they saw it. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Come on you guys. Try getting a doberman pincer attack your leg and then tear it away to get it grabbed again. That's when I hit it with my purse!
26 stitches and a quarter inch from my artery.
...that was 1977.
I never did mess up with a saw yet, and have run five types: don't want to find out!
Take care!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a little thumb trimming with a band saw one time--no stitches and surprisingly little blood.

I saw a radial saw with a shaper head drive a piece of wood through the wall of a friend's garage about 35 years ago and it made quite an impression on me, if not the wall.

I'm very cautious around my saws.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet hate (and major concern) is Angle Grinders!

Here in OZ they don't have a "Dead mans switch" ,,, that means switch them on they stay on.

The most lethal weapon in any shop.

Grinding a steel sign frame ... phone call ,,, switch grinder off and at the wall socket. Apprentice comes along to finish the job while I'm busy, Switches on grinder. No go, switched off at the wall.

Lays grinder down on soft top stool I had been sitting on and switches on at the wall!!!

8" angle grinder goes 20ft across the shop and the stool about same the other way!

ANY power tool demands respect and understanding!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shared a wood shop with a guy that had a habit of throwing his scraps on the floor in front of the saw and standing on them as he worked. He'd often clean up when the pile seemed worthy. I'd often straddle the pile. This procedure and the mix of ripping some long, wet, heavy lumber cased my had to drop into the blade severing my thumb through the joint. Th joys of modern surgery put it back together. Had there been a guard on the saw this would not have happened, nor would I have been able to work the saw. I still have the safety equipment removed so I can use it, and try to keep the work area clean.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tony for reminding us all just how dangerous table saws can be.

Glad to hear you still have your thumb and I sure hope it mends fast.

We have a old table saw that Steve's grandfather gave us years ago and every time it is turned on I remind everyone to BE CAREFUL.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing about it was, the whole time I was using the saw I kept thinking of getting cut! I shut the saw off and didn't wait for the blade to stop. I flipped the lever on the guide to move it and grabbed onto the center of it. The bale was higher than usual and my thumb laid right on it.
To be honest, the needles in the end of my thumb to numb it hurt worse than the saw did!
The doctor said I was in second place that day. A guy ahead of me got himself with a "carpet knife"!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What took ya so long?

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took about 30 years, but I finally did it too--glued my fingers big time with superglue today.

My wife, daughter, and I were doing volunteer work at my grandson's school the last couple days helping set up the new computers for the staff and classrooms. We were unpacking, assembling, delivering, plugging everything in, loading printer drivers.

This afternoon, my daughter and I were installing the cable locks, which involve using super glue to install some brackets onto the CPU and monitor. After going through numerous tubes of super glue on this project, I didn't notice that the last tube I used was leaking at the back. As I squirted glue on the brackets, it was also oozing out the back and firmly glued the tube to my fingers. No one had any nail polish remover or acetone so after a half hour, I had to carefully pry the tube off my fingers without glueing any more of my body to it. I didn't lose any major chunks of skin but my fingers are a little raw.

I guess a table saw would have taken that tube off but I don't think I want to try that method.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!