Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Motorcycle Get Away

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Motorcycle Get Away
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bikerswithoutborders.org/

For those who like adventure, Mallory is a good fellow to watch.

In this clip he show some adventures on the back of a KLR. Perhaps this motorcycle, a 650 KLR, has more fellows traveling around the globe than all others combined.

I bought one four years ago. She's nudging 40,000 and holding up well. Neat thing about these little bikes, they are comfortable, fast and dependable. Ugly too. I love mine and leave the BMW in the garage. It's for sale.

I'm looking forward to heading south through the desert next month. Like most KLR riders, it's a trip alone. Good time to think.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun buddy!

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a great video Joe! I just bought a little Schwinn Scooter 50 cc. 115 miles per gallon!!!!!!!
Baby steps..maybe a license and something bigger someday...If I had a video for all the places I had traveled in my life so far....boy, what a movie that would be!
Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joe, what a great video.
I've been considering aKLR for a couple of years now. I have a great 1500 Vulcan but also have a cabin on a hill with a long very sandy access road. The big Kaw doesn't like sand at all.
I think there's a spot in the garage out there perfect for that 650.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1356 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,

Keep your eye on the used cycles in the paper and you may snag one cheap.

I see good used ones going between $1,400 to $3000. Since they've been made for years, and sell new for about $6,500 used ones are a bargain. With this bike, old is good.

KLR's love the sand and gravel so the access road will be fun. I get about 50 miles per gallon.

Be patient and you'll get one cheap.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing any signs lately, Joe?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Business is just awful. I spoke with Mark Y. the other day and he said you were soaking up all the big jobs. Just awful.

So, are we going together to Roswell? You could ride along on the back of my scoot. It'd be a blast. Unforgetable.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds exciting Joe, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass this time. Roswell has enough strange folks without adding me. I'm sure you'll fit right in though.

If business is so awful, how can you afford to take off and ride to Roswell? Must have got that check in from Extira.

Mark's right...I do all those good jobs up in Oklahoma.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

My good friend Cash,

I spoke to Grizz today. He’s my good Letterhead, motorcycle riding, friend in Spearfish, SD. He owns Grizzly Signs and is a Gold Leaf expert. We have a mutual motorcycle friend by the name of Cash and I wanted to keep him informed. Cash had a heart attack last month and is home recovering. This is his third bout.

Here’s the deal. For years Cash and his life long buddy Bill, would ride up to Alaska during the summer. They'd head north through Dead Horse, taking the backroads as far as they could go. They’d camp and explore for a couple of weeks. Since both were school teachers, and Cash’s wife didn’t mind, they’d make it a six to eight week adventure looking for old ghost towns built during the gold rush.

About five years ago Bill came down with a bad dose of cancer. Cash was devastated and took it really bad. They were like brothers. Bill didn’t have any other family. They ended up saying their fair wells.

The next thing I know Cash gets a leave of absence. Bill was cremated, and Cash puts him in his saddlebags and heard off to their favorite Alaska camping spot. There Cash burries Bill, turns around and rides directly home. I didn’t have any involvement in this except for a small brass sign for the grave.

Some people are made of special stuff and he’s one of them. Our long rides are probably over but the rich memories live on.

Cash and I had talked about going back up there. He and Dan Maxy made it last year. It’s a three week hard ride up if you don’t mess around. On our long rides we'd try to make three or four hundred miles a day but you couldn't plan on anything.

My next trip will be a smoothy. Down across the Texas panhandle tword Hobbs NM. There's a federal campground south of Carlsbad about two hours. From here it's a nice seven hour ride.

Pardon me for posting such an off topic piece. But I needed to.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Beautiful story, Joe. Have a great trip. I envy you.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Thanks Ray,

Here is a girl I'd like to meet. I read a couple of notes she posted while traveling. At that time she had managed to get into Chernoble, Russia.

There's seems to always be a couple of gals motorcycling around the world on their own. I admire them.

Awaken to Africa
On the 7th February 1993 at the age of 28 years, I began a journey that would change my life. To ride a motorcycle from South to North Africa. After fourteen months travelling Africa, I arrived in the UK (1995), where for twelve months, my trusty Yamaha TT600 and I "lived on the edge" racing around the congested streets of London. "We" worked for a West End motorcycle courier company. After writing my story (Nov.1996), and not finding a publisher, I headed home through Europe, Turkey, Central Asia, Siberia, bytrain across China and into Vietnam. In Hanoi, I placed my bike in storage (Transpo) and returned to Cairns, Australia. Six months on the road had worn me out - funds were low and I lacked the energy and enthusiasm to fully appreciate South-East Asia. I plan to return to Vietnam "end 2000" to complete the Asian-leg of my world motorcycle journey.
Countries: Kenya, Zaire, Congo, Gabon, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Birkino Faso, Mali, Mauritania, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Krygerstan, Kazakstan, China and Vietnam.
Heather Ellis Feb 1993 - Present

I'm such a gold plated woosie.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was cool Joe I sent the link to my buddies. Thanks, I hope to go cross country trails and dirt roads when the kids grow up. We all ride the kids and I play psycho cycle soccer with our German shepherd duke, he is usually on my team. It's like motorcycle polo with a soccer ball. My wife and I have been as far as Ohio on the street bikes.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Thanks Dana,

Be ever so careful in towns. Cars have a difficult time seeing motorcycles.

Most rides for me are at distance. With a GPS on board it's fairly easy to avoid metropolitan areas.

In the old days I made little charts and posted them below my speedometer. Like: Root US122 to Denver, Turn right on US88 (Five Miles) etc. That way I didn't need to refer to a map. Now with the electronics, I can putt right through, even at night. Having to stop at night, holding a flashlight between the teeth in the pouring rain to read a map leaves much to be desired. It really slows you down too.

I love riding at night but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun without the electronics.

Be careful and ride within your comfort zone.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..I'm planning a day trip myself this weekend. Up in Vermont there's a particular obscure state road that runs for some 25 twisty miles through a state forest. I found it by accident a few years ago riding my Triumph Thuderbird, and have always wanted to go back, so Saturday I'm going to trailer the Norton up to Lebanon, New Hampshire, and take a nice 4 to 6 hour ride through the Vermont backroads, stop someplace for a good steak dinner, and get home sometime Saturday night.

In two weeks I'm also heading for a pig roast at a good friend's house in Maryland, just east of DC. I've known Fred since high school when we took advanced study courses together; I became a sign painter and he's a rocket scientist (seriously - he works for NASA). Fred and his Dad got me interested in British bikes way back when, so again, I'm going to trailer the Norton to my mother's in Pennsylvania, and ride from there, taking backroads down the Eastern Shore and over the Bay Bridge.

I get where Joe is coming from; a good long ride is a fine thing to clear your head, especially on a bike that feels right. I also have a two-year old Kawasaki Concourse, with saddlebags, fairing, shaft drive, and electric everything that I bought specifically for long road trips - but it ends up in the garage while I go out bombing around the backroads on a rawboned old hunk of iron and oil that was built in England during the Nixon administration. Why? Because unlike any other form of transport, a motorcycle is a uniquely visceral and emotional experience. My Kawasaki is big, smooth, comfy, and about as exciting as kissing my sister. The Norton is rough, mean, fast and tempermental; it's like going out to a juke joint on a Saturday night with a wild redhead who gets you dancing on the tables and doing it in the back seat [Cool] . Its the mechanical equivalent of reason vs. emotion, Bach vs. Led Zeppelin, the yin and yang. One's no good without the other.

Keep the rubber side down, and ride safe. [Applause]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Cam,

Great post on British motorcycles. I was raised on them and the exhaust sound is absolute music to my ears. One travel advantage you have is location. There are so many potential interesting trips up there.

Although you’re not a dedicated Concourse rider, it’s still a cozy and comfortable ride during the cooler weather. It’s more like a “Stout” than a “Martini”. I’d bet you could ride her to the West Coast, non-stop, without a problem. Dang good bike.

Although you and I don’t ride like most folks, it’s nice to see they are able to get out and enjoy themselves. During my trips I see all types. Fancy, duded up rigs, with pinstripes all over them and un-comforatable little rockets. I have to laugh but their owners are enjoying themselves and that’s good. Along the way I get to meet some interesting folks too. Most are in groups and having fun. Many have CD’s and intercoms on board. Lord save me.

Have a safe and enjoyable summer.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Say goodnight, Joe - it's bedtime.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Hey Pops, did you just wake up?

I called and talked with Mike yesterday. He said you were making the Firday bank deposit and that would take some time.

Your re-thinking the Roswell trip, aren't you.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Mike said that you called and complained most of the morning. I'll send you the bill for Mike's lost time.

No, no Roswell trip for me. I actually have a business to run. But, if I had a bankroll like yours I would give it some thought.

Mike said that you were endorsing some new products. I'm sure you'll be able to make more trips now.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone didn't know you two, they'd think all that bickering was real. [Eek!]

Joe, I wish I could join you on the Roswell ride - I deeply miss riding in the Southwest, and bombing around on Jeep roads on a KTM sounds terrific.

Yesterday I took the Vermont ride - trailered the Norton to just outside Brattleboro and rode north through the mountains as far as Barre before turning for home. My only disappointment was my "favorite road" that I mentioned in the last post; frost heaves from this past winter had just about destroyed the pavement, to the point of being dangerous. A twisty road with decent paving is a joy on the Norton, but when it has massive tire-grabbing cracks and chunks of broken asphalt and gravel, its a nightmare.

Nonetheless, Vermont on a clear spring day is delightful. If you are ever out East, Joe, and want to do some great riding, this is it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!