Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » *Hic*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *Hic*
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre St.Marie   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre St.Marie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who still drinks?
I met Lyn at age 31 or 32 and 1 week after we were married, I came home from work, popped a beer, took a swig and immediately began sneezing, eyes swelling and watering... misery.
But I didn't get it.
Next afternoon was a repeat performance. Same next day......... then... I began to get a clue.
I tried my Chivas Regal..... same thing.... wine... same thing... schnapps... yup. That was it. I turned severely allergic to alcohol at the drop of a hat, no logical reason, no prelude and its never changed.
In my younger days in Germany I drank both Henninger and Binding beer every day. 12% alcohol and usually two or three bottles a day. In retrospect its was a good thing, but those first few summers were hard.

Smoking? Two days after Lyn announced she was carrying Rosemary I stopped cold turkey after having smoked Camels and Lucky Strikes for 20 years. That was some 35 years ago. No relapses and no regrets. Best part?.......... My kids neither smoke nor drink.

P

--------------------
Pierre St.Marie
Stmariegraphics
Kalispell,Mt
www.stmariegraphics.com
------------------
Plan on knowing everything before I die and time's running out!

Posts: 4223 | From: Kalispell,Mt 59903 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pierre, When I was in high school, I spent my days Skateboarding and Snowboarding. when I was not doing that I was having a great time hanging with my friends causing trouble somewhere.. but all in good fun. I told myself, "I'm not bored enough to drink my face off and I don't have the cash to spend on smokes" So I didn't do any. Most of my friends were in the same boat. We had a "different" style of life and I do not regret a thing. Then, at one point when I was 14, I heard a band that helped me keep this way of thinking... "Minor Threat" .. I couldn't believe this band that I could relate to! I still live the same way, but spend most of my time with my kids. I glad to say, when it comes time to talk to my kids about it, I can tell them that I never smoked or drank, and why.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Taylor
Visitor
Member # 9081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Taylor   Email Aaron Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Mr Curtis, Minor Threat on a letterheads BB I new I was in the right place. I grew up on that band with a sk8 board in the other hand. Skateboarding, surfing and Punk got me into this whole lettering world. I loved the artwork of Jim Phillips and Pusshead. As for the drinking and hell raising I went that route but quickly learned that it was not for me. So now its juice boxes and brushes with my little girl.

-at

Still PuNk in Pensacola

--------------------
Aaron Taylor
A Router Works
Pensacola, Fl

Posts: 69 | From: Pensacola, Fl | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to drink like a fish years ago. I haven't touched the stuff in at least 8 years now. Pretty much the same for me I just realized it wasn't for me anymore. No allergic reactions, but man, I used to get shaky come late afternoon everyday I would need to get a few drinks and get "primed up" for later that evening.

I can't imagine doing that now. I couldn't even find the time if I wanted to.

Aaron, it's funny you say...
"Skateboarding, surfing and Punk got me into this whole lettering world."

graffiti got me into it and where I'm from a lot of graffiti writers were into Punk and skateboarding (not surfing though)
On the east coast.

[ May 16, 2008, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Dawud Shaheed ]

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Aaron, awesome. Yeah, skateboarding got me into the design world.. Mark Gonzalus AKA "the Gonz" did lots of great art work (he was a pro skater) A few years back Burton actually bought some of his art and used it for snowboard graphics! I was gonna get one just for my wall! I used to buy paints first when I got into skateboarding and paint the Grip Tape on the top of the deck.. things like the Minor Threat "Black Sheep" and the Exploited "skull"! I still Skate every now and then, and I went to a The Evens show last year and met Ian McKaye (originally of Minor Threat). It was real cool to talk to him about growing up in that scene.

As for now, I spend my days designing and sign making and listening to The Wiggles!!

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old are you guys?I used to surf with Greg Weaver's bro Scott and we'd make fun of little Greggy until he started skatin'pools up the street from me and got endorsed by Cadillac wheels.After he was on the cover of the mags we wanted his autograph. Ty page was a crazy SOB. one day he goes "watch this" and he skated out into traffic on 101 in Leucadia and did his trade mark never ending 360 and made traffic screech to a halt.We had the good ole days where we'd do the bomber run on 4' long fiberglass boards we made in La Costa before they built any houses there.Sorry, just reminicing..........Here's a link from a funky video I found that was shot back then before developers, Japanese investors and road rage www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzzy7tRR0Ag Take paradise ,they put up a parking lot.(if you check out the vid, note the wheels and trucks.Primitive, but these were the first urethane wheels on the market and had noticeably more grip.)Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a surf/skate thread from a drinkin' thread. [Cool]

[ May 17, 2008, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Darcy Baker ]

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Darcy, that was awesome! You must have been around during the Z-Boys. When Stacey Peralta started up Powell-Peralta and created the "Bones Brigade", that's when I started, I'm 32 years old now and I still love and respect that surf style of skateboarding. When I was in college in St. John's NF I bought a Long Board similar to the one Greg Weaver is riding in that video. I still have it actually. St. John's is all hills and madness for that style, I would put on my walkman and listen to The Dead Milkmen while cruising down the streets... I passed a transit bus once! Fun stuff. Although I'm a little younger then Greg's days, I did grow up when Tony Alva started his own skate company "Alva". I skated with a pair of his signature Vans shoes once and the first board I tried to get my hands on was a Dave Dunken team Alva deck. The graphics were amazing! Thanks for posting the video, I love that type of thing. There is a movie out called "the Boys of Dogtown" it's based on the documentary called "the Z-Boys". If you haven't seen them both, you really should. It's all about the stuff I would read about in magazines. these are the guys that made Tony Hawk the man he is today. Skateboarding is more then just a hobby.. it's a way of thinking, and a way of life.

Thanks for the post Darcy. Awesome.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton

Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Curtis, I'm 53.Peralta wrote Lords of Dogtown and in it he tried to suggest that Ty tried to change his style to more freestyle like Z-Boys. In Reality Bruce Logan had been skating that style as far back as 64 and Ty is a few years younger than me but he'd been creating his own new tricks and had his style before Z- boys even started.I guess it was Stacy's movie so he could embellish a little. Good flick just the same.I didn't know Jay Adams but he rocked... a wildman.No Fear.Ty was bringing in good money for doing what he loved, He was making over 100k a year at around 20 and had a new Alpha Romeo.It blew my mind when my friend drained his pool when mommy was gone and all these guys came to skate it.Jam session.She was cool and when she got into it she'd make drinks and watch as well.

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee McKee   Email Lee McKee       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FUGAZI RULZ!

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Posts: 277 | From: Birmingham, Al | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Taylor
Visitor
Member # 9081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Taylor   Email Aaron Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darcy, thanks for the link to the video love it. I'm 31 and started sk8ing the same time as Mr. Curtis. Jay Adams, Alva ( which is my Boston terriers name) and Duane Peters were the guys I looked up to. It was a great time for skateboarding. It was not todays skateboarding scene. I never thought I would see pros in milk and walmart commercials, not that thats a bad thing, now city are supporting public skateparks and making places for kids to skate. I remember getting arrested for skating in a parking lot in the 90s. I still ride a skateboard but not to often. We have a local park with a great mini ramp. Thats what I stick to these days if I get out there. If you have not watched a modern sk8 video in the last years, its crazy where there taking it. Some of the trick are just truly insane. I remember when Duane Peters did the concrete loop years before Tony Hawk did it! and thought that was insane. Its really cool that it has progressed into a "sport" now, but I still miss the rebellious aspect of it.

-at

--------------------
Aaron Taylor
A Router Works
Pensacola, Fl

Posts: 69 | From: Pensacola, Fl | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Taylor
Visitor
Member # 9081

Darcy, thanks for the link to the video love it. I'm 31 and started sk8ing the same time as Mr. Curtis. Jay Adams, Alva ( which is my Boston terriers name) and Duane Peters were the guys I looked up to. It was a great time for skateboarding. It was not todays skateboarding scene. I never thought I would see pros in milk and walmart commercials, not that thats a bad thing, now city are supporting public skateparks and making places for kids to skate. I remember getting arrested for skating in a parking lot in the 90s. I still ride a skateboard but not to often. We have a local park with a great mini ramp. Thats what I stick to these days if I get out there. If you have not watched a modern sk8 video in the last years, its crazy where there taking it. Some of the trick are just truly insane. I remember when Duane Peters did the concrete loop years before Tony Hawk did it! and thought that was insane. Its really cool that it has progressed into a "sport" now, but I still miss the rebellious aspect of it.

-at

--------------------
Aaron Taylor
A Router Works
Pensacola, Fl

Aaron Taylor
Visitor
Member # 9081

Oh yeah, Lee your right Fugazi does rule!

-at

--------------------
Aaron Taylor
A Router Works
Pensacola, Fl

Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Aaron, we truly are criminals.I got arrested for riding my bike on the wrong side of the street when I was 16 {while carrying my board).I figured it was safer than getting run over by some fool I couldn't see.I went to court with $50 in my pocket and the judge said it was $100.They made me spend the day in jail and I still had to pay the fine.Don't think they liked longhairs.Got revenge though, my dad was art director and cartoonist at the local paper and he did an editorial cartoon showing a baby with a tricycle behind bars.Two cons talking to each other "Shoulda been here last week, Judge threw some kid in jail for riding his bike on the wrong side of the street."

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Guys, this is awesome! and yes.. Fugazi does rock! Darcy, here is a link to a video that changed my life.. when I do get the odd chance to go skating now, I still only skate in this style. The kids these days (well, what I call kids) don't get it. Skateboarding is amazing now, but it's a job now, not as fun when you have to kill yourself to keep a sponsor. this video is back when it was fun. Check it out.. I love it so much, Ray Barbie is one of the greats. The songs are from McRad... it was one of the first albums I put in my iPod.. love having it digital.. never thought I'd see the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw1goX6AMDg

Enjoy guys.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton

Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been Alcohol free for 16 years
Cigarette free for 28 years (started really young)
Been dip free for 22 years
Been drug free 25 years

I love not being tied to those products. I understand those who have a hard time kicking these habits. I was lucky to be able to quit all of them cold turkey and never feel the urge to go back.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drink free for 20 years and smoke free for 19 years.

it's cheaper as a lifestyle too. [Wink]

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee McKee   Email Lee McKee       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been Drink Free for about 20 hours. Never did see the "big deal" with smoking so I never even started.
Is this the progression of life for a signpainter? Smoke, Drink, and Party untill one day something clicks and you give it all up?
I know everyone is different but, there has to be another sign painter out there that enjoys a pint or two every once in a while. [Smile]

All in moderation I say...

Oh Yeah, Have you seen "Fu Man Chu"?

[ May 19, 2008, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Lee McKee ]

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Posts: 277 | From: Birmingham, Al | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lawrence Armstrong
Resident

Member # 8336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawrence Armstrong   Author's Homepage   Email Lawrence Armstrong       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quit drinking 19 years ago. Drug free for the past 28 years. I still smoke a half a pack of cigarettes a day. Quiting those has been on my mind quite a bit lately so hopefully in the not too distant future those will be on the quit list as well.

--------------------
Lawrence Armstrong
1059 Price Road,
Parksville B.C. Canada V9P 2X1

Posts: 142 | From: Parksville B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best advice I ever was given:

"Know when and why to put the cork back in the bottle"

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe there's a bit of realisation too, that alcohol can be used as a paint thinner...

I started & stopped drinking in my teens- financial reasons were the main reason for stopping, plus the taste & 'what's the big deal' issue.

My friends at work kept their daily drinks going, and I began to save my money instead. After 18 months, I had saved enough to go backpacking for five months all over Europe & Britain- THAT was a good time & well worth it!

I like a nice port, but there was really no incentive to drink after getting out of the habit & saving money.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gave up smoking 10 years ago but I still enjoy a glass of wine with friends. Occasionally have a joint but have never tried any other kind of drug. I live a fairly clean lifestyle, would rather go out for a nice meal than go to a bar and drink. I get a buzz out of playing tennis or swimming with friends

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Hey Anne, Is the "Herb" Illegal in Kiwi Land??

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't read the thread, but skimmed through and saw a bunch of stuff about free alcohol, free smokes and free drugs.

Where's this party? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, I believe it's called..AMSTERDAM!

been there.

wow

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm enjoying a wee single malt as I drink this thread. I have a dram or two 'most every night, although I have been known to enjoy a nice Shiraz & the occasional Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale.
Haven't had a smoke in 13 years...........still have days where I'd crawl 10 miles on my hands & knees over barbed wire, broken glass & dirty diapers for a pipe full of Gulden Dansk.
My new addiction.........honey dates! I eat at least 2kg of them every week.

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 472 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!