Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Flexi Question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flexi Question...
Bernice Tornquist
Resident

Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernice Tornquist   Email Bernice Tornquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using FlexiPro (Version 5.8v2) for almost 15 years with no problem until my 'dear brother', bless his soul, asks me to 'plot' out a 35 foot banner on paper. I have a 24" Summagraphics D610 cutter/plotter (the media flanges [those roller things you put in each side of the vinyl rolls] are broken).

You're getting the picture, now, I think.

While cutting vinyl, the cutter decides where to cut up and down the roll, shall we say, "at will". I have watched this performance with amusement for 15 years, and went on with my rush orders. I said to myself, "I'll deal with this someday". Now, when I am ready to retire, 'my dear brother' calls me and asks me such a thing.

Now, we all know that there is a difference between cutting vinyl for a 35' banner AND plotting out a continuous banner out of paper for my brother so that he can fill in with tempera paint for his daughters' music festival, as he is on the music festival committee. Don't ask.... this is how he wants it done. First of all, the paper will get all chewed up by the pinch rollers if it goes up and down 35 feet, cutting the holes first, or something like that. Wouldn't that be a skewed mess?

I know what you are saying....just make the dear brother a banner. I have offered him that, free of charge. No, he wants a banner out of paper (just to complicate my life).

Sorry folks to those who are still reading this and are in this business to make a living....hope I'm not boring you. As you can see that I am not in this for the business anymore but it's still in my bones, AND I WANT to do this for 'my dear brother'. You see what you have to look forward to if you do this until retirement?

OK, the the heart of the matter...

I did go 'back to my manuals' and did some Flexi study. I found where in the Plotter Options one has to check off the selection "Optimize Cut Order" and also state for how long of a space one needs, whether it is 10" or 36", or whatever. What I understand is that it will plot everything up to that point, say 3 feet, then go on to the next three feet. It said in the manual that if it is left 'unchecked' it will cut/plot in the same order it was created in Flexi....which is, who knows? That would be fine, except that "Optimize Cut Order" WAS selected and it didn't do what it was supposed to do when I put in the measurement I wanted.

Perhaps, you say, I should get an update. I have an update in the drawer somewhere and don't want more programming that would be for wide format digital printing, etc. that I don't use so I don't want to install it.

Or, you ask, phone them up and ask them. Can one get hold of them now after all this time? Seems that things have changed with them.

This is why I am turning to you, my dear friends... Can I count on you, who have been such a help to me for so long. You have all been so helpful to me.

--------------------
Bernice Tornquist
Bernice's Signs & Graphics
Box 1799, Nipawin, SK
S0E 1E0 Canada

Posts: 676 | From: Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll start in with some thoughts. though by no means am I saying I have the answer.

If you have a pen for your plotter, and you have some paper, then I would expect that some testing may be in order. Maybe a smaller scale version of the file could be created, and maybe with the intention of making 5 segments of the file, to break down the 35 into more managable sizes.

Maybe each letter could be moved one click with the cursor, starting with the first one, so that "plot in the same order it was created" will mean plot one letter at a time, from first to last.

If the test works, you can enlarge the file & run again. If you try the idea of breaking the job up into five segments of approximately 7' each, this should be easier to keep on track. You could then do a little measuring to set your orgin before each subsequent segment.

Also, as a low-tech favor for a brother who clearly does not want a high tech product... I think you should first and foremost... allow yourself to enjoy just getting something close to useable without stressing over it having to be in one piece, or all in perfect alignment. It would probably not matter if it needs to be taped together, or if it travels uphill a little while, and then downhill a little while. And, if it does matter... then he could be told how difficult (to impossible) his request was, and that he could trim the paper to match the base line, & then cut & re-splice segments into alignment with each other.

just some ideas for you... another idea is to let someone else plot it for you, which may also be an option.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say for sure, but are the items you want drawn Grouped or Not? If Grouped, the Optimize option may be ignored. Try plotting with items ungrouped & see what happens. Also, make sure your panel size is set long enough to handle required length. As far as d610 is concerned, it's not rated to track 35'. Plot it as slow as possible to prevent unwanted wandering offtrack.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernice Tornquist
Resident

Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernice Tornquist   Email Bernice Tornquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Doug & Bill for your quick responses.

Doug: I have tried to make the smaller example (15"), as you have suggested, and watched just what order it was going to plot it out in. It was a good way to check it out, but anything I would do still made it jump all over so I knew it would not work for the big one.

I could try to move each letter incrementally, as you have suggested so that maybe it would plot in the same order.

Bill: The letters are 'out of text' and ungrouped. The media size is set at 1800" (150'). Is this what you mean? I have had the setting to plot as slow as possible.

Question: Is this still not a concern amongst vinyl cutters, even in cutting vinyl? Do others just put up with this?

By the way, I am now looking at making the banner 23' long and not 35.

Thank you for taking the time to answer...I do appreciate this.

--------------------
Bernice Tornquist
Box 1799, Nipawin, SK
S0E 1E0 Canada

Posts: 676 | From: Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that what you're looking for is in the panels tab, not just the cutting order. I don't know the version that you have, but if I go to production manager there is a place for paneling and I can set lengths there.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernice Tornquist
Resident

Member # 16

Rick, thanks...I think you have something there. I will persue that avenue....in the 'paneling' section.

Not sure why I had not thought of that, as I do use it for the 'width paneling', but not for the length.

Thanks for your help!

--------------------
Bernice Tornquist
Box 1799, Nipawin, SK
S0E 1E0 Canada

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!