Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Help. I can't get my computer on.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help. I can't get my computer on.
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an old Dell at home and was using the other day. I can't remember if I did a RESTART or just shut it off for a few minutes and then started it backup. Either way it only comes on as far as the DELL screen.

I have tried getting into the SETUP and can't even get there. When it starts up and gets to the screen that says ENTER SETUP - PUSH DELETE and I hit the delete key, it says that it is entering SETUP but it then just stays there...never going any farther. I have even left it that way for over an hour.

I then unhooked that hard drive and hooked up another and it does the exact same thing.

[ January 03, 2008, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Harvey
Visitor
Member # 6580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Harvey   Email Jonathan Harvey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine did that when I installed a new hard drive, but it wasn't the hard drive it was the software for the hard drive that did it.

--------------------
Jonathan Harvey
Harvey's Signs and Designs
214 N. Main Newton,KS 67114
316-283-2424
(no telemarketers)

Posts: 63 | From: Newton, KS | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get out your trusty boot disk,,

OR try booting with F8.. into safe mode.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked the Battery on the Motherboard?
It powers the Bios & keeps the Day/Clock running on time. When you had the computer up & running, did you happen to notice if it was keeping the correct time? (& day?)

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis,
I've F8-ed until the cows come home. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

I know what the BIOS is but I don't know if its stored on the HD or in another spot separate from the HD, like a chip or something. Could I haven't gotten a virus in the BIOS? The reason that I had the extra HD available was because it had been on Garry's computer and a few months ago he couldn't get it to boot. When I installed it on mine as a SLAVE I was able to view it. I then unhooked my HD leaving just his, it booted fine. I was wondering if it was possible to have had a virus there somewhere laying dormat, waiting to be activated and got into my BIOS.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
send it to me for repairs..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!