Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Health Club September

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Health Club September
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Autumn is bearing down on us in the north!

The leaves are already starting to change, and the temps are dropping into the 30's and 40's at night.

Some nice cool dry days makes for some great cycling weather. Very little bugs, some warm and cool pockets of air to ride through, and great scenery is what it's all about.

The apples are being harvested, the Jamaicans are singing in the orchards, and the the air just smells sweet.

Get on the pedals, lace-up the running shoes, grab the dog's leash, and move!

Anyone moving out there?

Ahhhhhhhhh,.......September

Just move,
Bob

[ September 04, 2007, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1878 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh.. It's amazing we live in the same country Bob!

It's still 115+ here, bicycle tires melting to the pavement (or at least wearing down REALLY fast, when they're not spontaneously exploding from the heat, that is), too hot to really enjoy being out exercising in the afternoon except when at the lake. Most of my exercise time is spent in the air conditioned gym. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camille
Visitor
Member # 501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bob - been walking down here - lost 16 lbs so far! Lots more to go. Hope you are well!

--------------------
signs

Posts: 535 | From: pa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Bob, we have real falls too. I love the cooler feel of the air and changing surroundings.

I am happy to report I have started my AM walks again! I go a good pace for an hour after Cody gets dropped off at school. We have beautiful trails everywhere you go here and the dog is a happy camper too. Getting back into a regular routine is a very good feeling.

When the weather turns abit more ugly, I'll look into putting Cody in swimming and start the gym again, but I'm not in a hurry. I LOVE the outdoors!

Now I have to get my mind wrapped around work again... that's the hard part!

On mental health...

I seem to be in a gut and clean kinda mood though. My house is too full and everywhere I look I want to empty out stuff just to have some space. Time to book in that garage sale and just do it!

Spending so much time inside my house (remember I camp all summer LOL) makes me want to rip out crap and get working on that too. Found new water on the floor in the basement and my washer has been making a terrible banging sound since I got home... augh... I'm finding out quick like that plumbing is definately going to be staying in my future.

Ok, time for me to be inspired by something so I can get moving! The walking is an incredibly powerful tool, it seems to turn on your brain and make your vision clearer. Happy to be back in the health club again!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still hoofin' up the mtn most days...i just love this cool weather. i guess we're suppose to get a little indian summer tomorrow and sat...85 degrees.
i think the foliage will be early this year so moose mania should be colorful!

haven't lost anymore weight but i haven't found it either. good for you camille!!! you go girl!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee Mike, it is hard to believe we are in the same country. We have only hit 90 deg's 4 times this year, with the high being 91.7.

Camille, sounds great, good to hear things are going well. I'm doing just fine here.

Donna, you are so lucky to camp all summer. Plumbing, huh? Have you noticed, it's consistently the most inconsistent thing to work with? Nothing seems to match easily. I do sympathize with you, and commend you. PS: the smores are as awesome as you said they would be. (time for a few more miles on the bike to work them off) ha ha

Yes, this stuff is good for the mind! Talk about clear thinking, and sorting things out,...I refer to exercise as "de-fragging the hard drive." And talk about creativity!,...some of my best designs came from a good hard workout.

It's all good.

Hey K, any moose sightings?

My dog took me on a ferocious walk yesterday, I couldn't keep pace. Good dog. Woof.

Just move,
Bob

[ September 06, 2007, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1878 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donna, camping without plumbing and running water is starting to sound just like living in your house! [Smile] You should be used to it! hehehe. [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Mike, I have all that and more at the campground. It's my house that's the real issue. Maybe I ought to just move there and be done with it!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Bob says, it's all good.

I've kayaked more lately. Been putting in some miles on the treadmill. Still biking. There is always yardwork to keep me in shape too and when the weather cools up a bit I'll be out there hitting that harder.

Some home improvement projects on the horizon too. Always something going on around here. [Roll Eyes]

I really do feel best when I get some kind of exercise. Keeps me feeling energetic rather than lathargic.

Keep it movin' people! [Smile]

~nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Oh my gosh, I feel amazing! Another long walk today. I nearly didn't because I slept in and my body was buried in the morning fog while getting Cody off to school. But I decided my body wouldn't rule my mind. I made the right choice.

Don't let your achin' body rule you!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

There's Janette!

Quote from Donna: "Don't let your achin' body rule you!

Amen to that!

There are many a day that I have to talk myself into moving, and riding, but at the 15 mile mark, when you're in a groove, you thank yourself for getting off of that couch.

After a good work-out, you can feel the energy your body has for the rest of the day. The mind is awake, the senses are in overdrive, and you know life is good,....you know you can handle anything,...physically and mentally.

Nice new photos you two! You look radiant.

Anyone else moving out there?

Just move,
Bob

--------------------

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still in on this one, working the Gym and staying in shape BUT!!!

Can't wait until October cause the apple pies are running low and you all know what is coming next.

-

I Love my pie!! [Smile]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1697 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Bob, moving? MOVING? Shoot man, I'm ROCKIN'!!

I'm thinking like Sam now... I'm training FOUR HOURS every day, two hours in the morning, two hours in the evening.... getting myself ready for the onslaught of pie and other goodies.. you know.. first it's the apple pie and caramel apples in September, then it's the Halloween candy in October.. November brings pumpkin pies and December is all about mint flavored m&m's, cookies and cannoli! [Smile]

Some might say 4 hours a day is excessive but to me the only excessive part is my grocery bill! It takes a lot of food to keep up that pace. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Crap Mike, you're crazy but I know you already know that.

4 hours a day. When is too much too much I have to ask. I thought your body needed time to repair between workouts. I know you have a better explaination and I'm all ears!

I often want to do more than I do but I also don't want to injure myself.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m trying to get into better shape for backpacking the Grand Canyon without taking the two thousand dollar helicopter ride out. I got a membership in the city recreation center and walk a half mile there every day to work out. So far, I’m down thirteen pounds since January and I’m trying to double that. If I do so, I’ll weigh the same with my backpack as I did earlier this year without it, plus I’ll be in better shape.

I tried running every morning but don’t enjoy running for the sake of running. Give me a football, basketball, or soccer ball and I’ll run for hours. At the gym, I check out a basketball and run some full court and then do 500 steps on their stair climber. I hit their full range of Nautilus machines every other day.

So far, I feel as if one of those mules at the Grand Canyon has kicked me off the rim. Actually, the pain is way down and I feel stronger in the afternoons and notice I’m walking straighter. I’ve got scoliosis and fused vertebrae from previous fractures in my spine and ribs and have dealt with back pain for years. Strengthening the core muscles seems to be helping. I plan to keep it up.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5099 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I finally get to join this thread!

I joined a gym three weeks ago with one of my friends. The plan is that we'll meet there twice a week and keep each other motivated.

The first two weeks went well.. then I went to Burning Man and came home with a summer cold, so i'm out of rythm, but

I lost 10 pounds at Burning Man. (too hot to eat plus biking everywhere all the time)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 hour workout four days a week. I start with 3+ miles on an elliptical trainer and then do 25k-30k of weights before my morning coffee workout. [Wink]

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Donna, it gets a little complicated but basically, there's several different "systems" your body uses for locomotion. There's the aerobic system that most are familiar with, with their regular cardio exercise, which trains the body for endurance activities. There's the anaerobic system which is high intensity cardio, the type where your legs feel like they're literally on fire. There's anabolic exercise which is weightlifting, where little oxygen is used during the exercise (ie: it's also anaerobic) but protein synthesis within the body is triggered which causes muscles to repair the damage and grow stronger. Then within the muscles there are different types of muscle fibers that are suited for either endurance activities, strength, or quick explosive power.

You can train all these different systems by utilizing different training techniques for each, and alternating them so you can actually train one system while another one is recovering.

In other words, one of my daily workouts (usually the morning) will be high intensity whether it's weight lifting or cardio, and the second workout will be lower intensity aerobic cardio which isn't too physically taxing, it just goes on and on forever. [Wink]

This kind of plan requires solid nutrition and lots of it for proper recovery. I even take a shake with me that amounts to about 600 calories of protein and carbohydrates, and drink this while working out. It really helps with speedy recovery.

Then on the weekend I rest. This allows the last system in the equation, the Central Nervous System (CNS), to recover as well. When someone feels drained and don't feel like working out, this is usually just CNS fatigue. A day or two, or maybe a week off will take care of it. True physical overtraining is harder to do. The muscles will adapt to anything you throw at them, given enough time and consistency, so the main symptom of true overtraining is tendonitis or other joint problems, and those take weeks or months to heal. Even still, the joints will adapt to stress too but they need more time for conditioning than muscles. My joints are conditioned from when I carried a whole lot more weight so I have no issues there, plus I keep my exercises on the lower impact side.

Someone that just wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle doesn't need to go this far, but I'm at another end of the spectrum. Not only do I have some stubborn weight to get rid of that the simpler one hour a day plans can't take care of, I am training for significant physical performance gains in my sports.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

HEHEHE!!

I've changed my routine yet again! [Smile]

In August I posted about training 3-4 hours every day and eating 5,000-6,000 calories per day. Weightloss sparked.

A little over a week ago I cut the exercise down to 1.5-2 hours a day and am now eating roughly 2,000 calories. The weight is just melting off now. Literally. I'm down 7.5lbs so far this month.

Looks like the hardcore eating and training is just what I needed to spark the metabolism.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Mike, can you please explain why my scale shows me gaining with all the walking I'm doing?!?!? I'm hiding the scale. Who cares. I feel so much better and stronger, like I'm fuelled for the day. Scale for sale!

I'd even call myself abit of a hardcore walker. If you walk in the rain, you really mean it! My dog is looking leaner anyway.

Nice going Mike! How about the rest of you?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Sometimes you just gotta throw the scales away (when they're not being nice to you hahaha) but if you're gaining weight just walking, you're either eating too much or not burning enough energy.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Well the weather has been great lately, so the bicycle has been getting a workout! Lots of miles racking-up.

Riding twice a day some days.

As a matter of fact, I am goimg to take the bike to Moose Mania this weekend. Lot's of hills to climb there!

I think I need to walk Toffee. When the weather gets this nice, I get selfish and ride a lot. Sorry Toffee, we'll go for a walk tonight. Woof.

Donna, your scale is wrong just like mine. Maybe a two for one sale? [Smile]

It's all so good.

Just move,
Bob

--------------------

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday afternoon for the first time in fifteen years I ate what I thought was 2 of the finest Cannolis I've ever had, the ends were enclosed with chopped pistachio, I then walked 2 miles and ate the other 2 when I got back to the house [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

I've had the hardest time finding good cannoli since I moved west. Now I just make them myself, but mine are enclosed with chopped almonds, chocolate shavings and a cherry.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chocolate shavings, ... oh I'm there! haha

I've been doing great here. Back on a walking/running kick and putting in some miles.

I read something in Oprah magazine about doing interval sprints, so I'm starting to experiment with that abit.

Hope everyone's keepin' it shakin' out there.
The holidays are right around the corner. [Smile]

~nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm down over 15 lbs. I think I'm going to try to keep going, although I seem to be rather "stuck" at the level I'm at now. Hopefully I will get over the hump soon,

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since July 1st. I have taken off 14lbs.and at 300 I'm ready to start on the other part.I have changed portions and way less dairy products.OH ya and lots of motorcycle riding LOL.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

So good to hear that everyone is moving.

Interval sprints, hu? Well, lately, I have been trying to mix more srints into my bike rides. I have been trying to sprint every other hill, and remain seated on the other half. Seems to be helping to build leg strength better than a constant, not so stressful cadence.

Everyone drinking enough water? Breathing deeply?

Randy, glad to see your progress. Any exercise mixed in with your plans? Great to hear the reduced portions. It makes such a difference.

I too have reduced my dairy intake and replaced some of that with water. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a cold glass a milk, and good ice-cream like the rest. Just less now, ha ha.

The weather is holding-out, and the bike is calling my name.

Just move,
Bob

--------------------

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!