Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT Chicken Eggs OT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT Chicken Eggs OT
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I bought some chickies and now they are grown and now they are laying eggs. I originally bought them for yard decorations and the early morrning crow of the 2 roosters. But now the 2 hens are laying eggs. How fast do I have to harvest them for omlettes etc. 1 day old? 3 days old? The lady who sold me the chickens said the eggs are very good to eat.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we had chickens....every day then into the fridge!

You won't like them if the chickenits on them for a few days!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Collect the eggs daily- our chooks are giving us about nine a day.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with picking up daily. You'll notice when you crack them into a skillet they don't spread out like store bought. That's just because they're fresh. Store bought can be a month old.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every day....unless you are looking to try a certain Southeast Asian delicacy. [Eek!] http://manalang.com/philippines/manila/balut.html

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
duck

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!! [Smile] I love hearing other people have chickens.
Our chickens are just starting to lay too! I have 18 hens & two roosters - all different breeds. Our shop is at our house, so I hear when there is an egg ready. [Smile]
I put the eggs in the fridge that day.

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the sunny southland of 100 degree temperature, I sometimes miss two or three days gathering the eggs. I've never had a problem with them going bad. In the cooler climate of Washington state, once per week should work.

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have 2... cholesterol side up !!!

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best if done every day.
I once had a job on an egg farm, an old fashioned 3 story coop with 25,000 white leghorns.
We had auto waterers, but fed 2.5 tons of feed a day by hand from a tub on an overhead trolley that got filled from the roof bins.
2.5 scoops of the pail per feeder.
Me and the farmer picked 100,000 eggs a week by hand.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, a woman who raises chickens once told me that the ones that peel easy when hard boiled are the ones that are around a week old. Thought that was interesting.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We found that if the eggs were not gathered daily, there was always one hen developing the bad habit of becoming an egg eater. Eggs that are two days old are very edible. Alicia, you need a cow in your yard.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have lots of chickens here, gather every day, nothing like a still warm egg to crack into a pan with real sizzling butter!!

Home grown eggs where the hens have freedom to roam around the yard are lower cholestoral and higher in omega threes..

We give ours all sorts of kitchen scraps (except meat) they come running and flapping thier wings when I come out the back door with a bowl. It's cute.
A:)

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just put the eggs in the pantry, in a rack with lots of holes in it- never bothered with the fridge- but we quickly pencil the date on them, so we know to take the oldest first when using them up.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the hens are running loose in the yard, beware of secret laying places you don't find for awhile. It's quite a surprise to find a dozen eggs all in one spot simply because you didn't know a chicken was laying there.

I also highly endorse veggie scraps. My neighbour that worked at a deli had scraps daily that she'd simply dump over the coop fence from the road. The chickens took after them like lottery winnings. The coop was also in the same field as a compost pile. I have yet to taste eggs as good as those.

And collect daily! Especially with roosters on site!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'l also notice that your free-chicken eggs will have much deeper yellow in the yolk; more like deep chrome yellow to nearly orange. Commercial eggs are a paler, washed-out color.

Plus your other animals won't get as many ticks or fleas - what did you think those hens are eating when they peck all over the yard?

I'd love to have chickens, but we have a strict zoning law against any and all "farm animals".

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!