Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Best thinner for 1shot lettering enamel???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best thinner for 1shot lettering enamel???
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ellen Moser   Author's Homepage   Email Ellen Moser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,
We are having a bad problem with MAROON 1shot lettering enamel fading really fast! Every local sign we have done with this color is starting to embarrass us. We think it might be the thinner...??? We use regular paint thinner.. any suggestions from you awesome old-timers would be GREATLY appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!!

Ellen and Troy

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
Ellen's Airbrush and Signs
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA
870-665-2355 http://www.CustomPaintedSigns.com
http://www.Facebook.com/EllensAirbrush

Posts: 93 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had maroon "purple" out.
I never thin 1-S with paint thinner.
When I do thin, I use either regular turpentine or Chromatic Edge flow enhancer (when I can get it)
I feel that using plain old paint thinner affects the glossiness of the 1-S.
I also try to avoid using maroon or purple 1-Shot! (not Proper Purple)
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Culbertson
Visitor
Member # 7560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Culbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Culbertson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Echo what Jill said.

I've also had really good luck with Penetrol.

My  -

--------------------
Ryan Culbertson
The Sign Shop at Quick Copies
Greenwood, SC

Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies.
Mike Cooley - Drive By Truckers

Posts: 453 | From: Greenwood, South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure turps-right Jill.

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strictly use the one-shot reducer #6000

Paint thinner does just that, thins!

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maroon has been fading for years and now is the time to mix your own starting with 1-Shot Kool Crimson which is a red ( 106L ) For flow I would suggest 1-Shot #6000 reducer which is basically a flow enhancer and until the good folks at Spraylat get their heads out of that dark space on their backsides, this is the product to use. Spraylat should be manufacturing Chromatics ChromaFlo which they also own but have decided not to manufacture. Strange people they are for using 1-Shot for lettering and the Chromatic line for Bulletin colors.

BTW, I never thin my paints.

Love..... Joe [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what Joey said

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second what Joey said. 6000 is a good reducer, however, it tends to clabber up before you use it up...poor shelf life. I've gone to adding Penetrol for flow, works great and I get to use the entire can.

Like Joey pointed out, One Shot maroon has been pure garbage for years. I quit using it about ten years ago. I goes to crap in less than a year and any complaints to One Shot fall on deaf ears. Anything that calls for maroon gets either HOK striping urethane, an automotive urethane or vinyl, whatever is the best for the situation.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Jill said...What Joey said...Heck! What everyone else said!

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thinner is not the complete problem...it's the paint, but I would never suggest using paint thinner to make enamels flow better because it changes the formula of the paint too drastically. Others have given you the best advice for dealing with One Shot paints.

That's why so many have switched to 100% acrylics. Of course, pin stripers cannot use water based paints, and since I'm not a striper I will have to leave that area up to to Joey and and the rest of the gang.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slightly different take on this.

I only use Hi-Temp synthetic auto enamel reducer, along with a few drops of Penetrol per 1 oz. cup of paint. The brand of reducer doesn't seem to matter much, though I will say that I never liked the way One-Shot's 6000 handles.

Don't like thinner--weakens paint

Don't like turps---the smell.

Mix all to brushing consistency, pallette on edge of cup, add reducer as needed. Toss whatever is left, and don't put back in original paint can. It will turn the paint to Jell-o after a time.

Penetrol--punch a hole in the cap, and close it with a sheet metal screw. More accurate dispensing, and avoids the buildup on the cap threads. Penetrol makes real good glue when it comes to getting the cap off.

"Toss"---means dispose of properly---whatever that means these days.

One other thing---Maroon and several other colors are "two-coaters" going in---at least so I've found.

FWIW

bill preston

what is an old timer?

[ August 14, 2007, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Bill Preston ]

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This only reason I mentioned #6000 reducer is because this is what is offered in the 1Shot line-up. This additive was 1-Shots comparison to Chromatics ChromaFlo yet not entirely as the ChromaFlo works a heck of a lot better by adding resins I believe which help with gloss retention.

I whole heartedly agree with Raymond when he says its the paint but basically theres nothing we can do about it.

As I see things differently than most I too agree and dis-agree wil Bill, thinners aren't good for paints especially 1-Shot, but than again ChromaFlo or even #6000 isn't your ordinary reducer or thinner but an additive like penetrol.

I think the wording used today is mickey mouse and causes problems to those who don't use common sense to begin with. Just the word reducer tells you it reduces the paint properties just as the word thinner says it thins out its properties which is the exact same thing. Both of these thins the paint and reduces its properties but only a flow enhancer can give your paint body while adding to its longevity. I truly believe that big companies use more diplomacy than knowledge of what is needed and all this crap while they are still learning the process.

If Tramp was here he would certainly agree with me.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a difference between a reducer and a thinner.

A thinner only dilutes the paint so that it flows easier.

A reducer changes the consistance of paint so that it flows better.

It takes much less reducer to get the same flow than a thinner.

A flow enhancer really doesn't thin a paint, it just makes it flow easier.

Penetrol, Edge and Chromaflo are flow enhancers with added resins to help keep the body in the paint.

My preference is to use flow enhancer and reducer, it only requirs atiny bit of each, as they seem to enhance each other.

Works for me!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen Moser   Author's Homepage   Email Ellen Moser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!! Y'all are Awesome. We feel like such children when we come to Letterville!!! Thanks so very VERY much for sharing your knowledge and experience. Will put this new info to good use!!!!!

Ellen and Troy

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
Ellen's Airbrush and Signs
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA
870-665-2355 http://www.CustomPaintedSigns.com
http://www.Facebook.com/EllensAirbrush

Posts: 93 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well ya learn something every day no wonder I've been having problems with 1-shot when lettering and not when I pinstripe lol /..I to was about to change the thinners totaly cause of, but I'm not getting lots of work to notice much or experiment lol

13 folds

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, OK,

In chat a couple of years ago there was a discussion about how to stop the fading of maroon. I was told to add a drop or 2 of 1Shot black and a drop of white. Also that the addition of 1Shot hardner would help a lot. Sooooo, that's what I do. So far so good. Would an additional coat of a UV clear help things????

The guy with only questions about paint.......and no answers...

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, Joe Chips, I've got three "welcome to" a village signs that have now been out about 5 years---3 four by eights. Each has a panel that takes up about a third of each face done with maroon one shot bulletin color. Two coats rolled using foam rollers and feathered off with a foam brush. No reducers or any other additives, or added colors. Paint straight out of the can.

Even the one facing South still looks pretty darn good---so to answer your question----I don't have an answer.

bill preston

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinner to me was for dipping the brush into
when it started to load up too much.
The other time I might use thinner is if the
paint was a little too fat from the can.
Now on the other hand the batch of reducers,
enhancers or what ever were only to use under
alternate weather conditions regarding the
temperature of a given surface.
At times...if needed when lettering a cold
window or galvanized billboards, I would pee in
a can and mix in a little to the paint to keep
the color from sliding off of the surface.
Something to do with a acidic reaction.

Crazyjack

P.S. Learned that from Johnny Berg.

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Stokes   Email Mark Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reds , Burgundy, purple enamel fade/chalk to quick. If you can get a crash repairer or paint your own backgrounds as this paint will last longer. Or as someone has mentioned lay vinyl on your substrate.

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs
Mount Barker South Australia

Posts: 388 | From: Mount Barker | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure Turps and Penetrol in enamels.

As mentioned above by Joe a little black in the maroon helps. Large areas a black undercoat. at least when it fades the white background doesn't show thru.

PS: I always double coat Maroon and red regardless if they enamel or acrylic.

[ August 15, 2007, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting no one's yet mentioned what we do- get a red oxide/burnt sienna/venetian red/ reddy brown tint, and use that for the first coat, and maroon for the second coat. I find that red oxide-coloured enamel is one of the most stable colours- rust doesn't oxidise, does it! If ther maroon fades, it'll fade to something similar that's stable.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hay Jack how many hits of acid did you take in order to make the acid pee?

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]
I always had trouble peeing in the can.
Love.....Jill
PS
I have heard that it works, though!

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be a plumbing problem, Jill.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, no one even mentioned about using Gasoline for thinner.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia.gasoline is a good brush cleaner, and sometimes good on a cold day when walldogging.

If you use gas for a thinner, Joey will come up there and spank you!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

...and gasoline smells even worse than turps...or urine.
Love.....Jill

Ryan Culbertson
Visitor
Member # 7560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Culbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Culbertson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever used bad Moonshine?

--------------------
Ryan Culbertson
The Sign Shop at Quick Copies
Greenwood, SC

Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies.
Mike Cooley - Drive By Truckers

Posts: 453 | From: Greenwood, South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A ornery old house painter who was around while I was still cutting teeth used to quip how he'd spit a little chew in the enamel to make 'er slide.

Now that's a flow enhancer.

BTW -- thinner is what you put on your rag and tuck in your back pocket that gives you those nice raised welts on your posterior.

Reds are the worse fading colors for paint across the board on this planet, maroon being the worse. They break down from the ultra violet rays of the sun. It only stands to reason that the more paint that is in the film, the longer it will keep from fading. Thinning these colors hastens the process. Double and triple coating should be considered. UV inhibitors in clears will help, but alkyd paints such as lettering and bulletin colors are the worse. Acrylic resin paints such as in automotive acrylic urethanes are the best, and for brushing paints premium acrylic latex is the best and even they have limited longevity.

But the red in stained glass windows is permanent, that's why when I retire I'm going to take up this fascinating process. I'm starting to buy books. I love stained glass art.

That's it ... I figured it out. Just add glass to your maroon paint and have at it.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!