Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I don't get it.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't get it.....
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We recently did these signs for a new coffee shop. The guy didn't ever get the permit and now that it's time to open he has a problem.

The idiots that run the city won't let anyone have red in their signs. I have no idea why, but they won't. They said these signs have too much red.......they aren't red!!!

I worked my but off on these signs with the gradient fade in the paint (maroon to orange). The pictures don't do it justice. Much nicer in person. I did not design the logo, just duplicated it.

We have been trying to get a nice sign in downtown for years so we could build more business in that area. Most of the signs are vinyl on MDO.

Now, they said he has to have it painted two solid colors. So much for my good portfolio piece!!!

Can anyone think of anyway to convince these historic idiots of allowing it. I'll charge him accordingly to repaint it but I don't want to. It's nice the way it is.

I just can't see how a vinyl MDO sign that is subpar can be any better than this sign that they say is red. UUUUGGGGHHHHHH...

OK, enough rant. I just can't win in this whacked out area.

-

-

[ July 05, 2007, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you can change their minds. They apparently have something against red, and maroon to them is just a dark red. But that's why they insist on preapproval for colors in a historic district.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds more like the Soviet Union than America.
I'll bet that if McDonald's wanted to put a little snack bar type restaurant downtown there, they would get their red on the sign for sure.
I think you should let all of us know this guys e-mail and overload his mail with questions why.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, that's just sad. I guess you could get some "expert" to explain to them that this color isn't red.

Since red is one of the primary colors, it is a small part of just about any other color, other than black and white (which really aren't colors). Tell that to the town folks and see what they say.

It just proves that you don't have to have brains to run a city.

By the way...it's a beautiful sign. You still have this photo for your portfolio.

Is there something in the ordinance that says that all signs have to be two colors and no more? Most national chain stores would not make it under that criteria.

If I remember correctly the sign ordinance in Jackson Hole says that no signs can have a white background. Whoever thought up these things probably thought it was a good idea at the time.

One of the problems is that most sign ordinances are produced by people who have no idea about anything visual. They don't want junk, but cannot come up with a definition of junk or what isn't junk.

I feel your pain, Amy. We all face the same type folks wherever we live.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sign is gorgeous just as it is.

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sign is incredible. Boy Amy, you have to do something to change their minds. No red? What could possibly be the reasoning behind that law? These people need some direction.

I'd call the United States Sign Council to see if color might fall under content, which is protected by the constitution. The United States Sign Council might help you even if you aren't a member. If that law is unconstitutional, and you can prove it to them, I'd put up the sign and see if they would bother to fight it knowing they would lose a law suit.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sign is one fabulous piece AS IT IS. I looked and looked but diddn't see any red save for my reaction to this 'authority type figure' in charge.

Is it the copper or the purple they object to??? If its just the purple you may be able to substitute a different color (at least temporarily.)

I'd advise your client to put the sign away until he gets his occupancy permit and then once the inspector is out of sight put it back up in a hurry. If the city challenges it there would be GREAT opportunity to have a public battle with plenty of press. Free publicity for the coffee shop. I'm sure the coffee shop customers would happily sign a petition and it would be the talk of the town... good for everyone except this dorky official.

-grampa dan

[ July 05, 2007, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I gotta say I absolutely love that sign & expect to see it in SOTM. Beautiful job!!

...secondly:
quote:
Originally posted by -grampa dan:
...put it back up...
If the city challenges it there would be GREAT opportunity to have a public battle with plenty of press. Free publicity for the coffee shop. I'm sure the coffee shop customers would happily sign a petition and it would be the talk of the town... good for everyone except this dorky official.

now that is a brilliant idea!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!
First class job Amy!
I don't see red but I would see red.

Maybe I would take Dan's advice.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it is a true historic district (in which the property owners vote it and it's rules into existence) there is little chance those rules would survive a court battle. Sign ordinances have to be content( and color) neutral. Problem is the time ( and money) to fight is more than most small businesses can afford. I alos like Dan's plan.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one gorgeous sign. I like Dan's idea, too.

A while back, I ran into one of those deals where the city ordinance totally conflicted with aesthetics. I provided renditions to the committee of some of the ways the sign could have been built and told them if I'd done that, we wouldn't be in the meeting. They approved our sign.

Sometimes those restrictions do get enforced on national chains. A few years ago when driving through Sedona, Arizona, I noticed McDonald's golden arches were teal.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what happens when ignorant, idiot politicians get to decide what is or isn't good for the whole. I have seen similar regulations that were eventually changed when someone had the gumption to challenge them. I wholeheartedly agree with Dan. I for one think someone must be color blind, if they see any red in your excellant sign. I say, give them what for and let the chips fall where they may... Good Luck, Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, just be glad you aren't doing sign work in Cary, NC. You'd be amazed at some of the bureaucratic BS in that town when it comes to signage.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have to deal with review boards all the time. Somebody that redecorated their bathroom 3 years ago all of the sudden thinks they are a designer. Now they have the authority to tell us how to do our jobs because they have a buddy on city council who appointed them to the review board.

Do you think I am off base??

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Jerry I don't think you are off base.

If you comb through every last detail of the sign codes in my town and go strictly by the book, you will see that all signs are completely banned. Of course there are signs all over the place here so obviously either nobody actually knows the codes or they're not enforced at all.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, that is a very nice sign. I used to do some work in Rancho Santa Fe, just outside San Diego. All signs have to be green and white. Even corporate logos on banks, etc have to change to green and white. Its a very upscale area with nice architecture and landscaping and lots of green and white signs, some of them very poorly designed but they are green & white so they're OK. They would never listen to me. Its a battle I just chose not to fight. I hope someone does.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is nice! I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you but I'd love to know more details on the sign. Is it routered? How did you achieve the texture technique? Very nice!

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful sign, Amy.
Can't you convince them it's light tan & brown?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 8 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a great way to approach it. Tell them to specify the PMS color they do not approve of. IF they pick out a specific PMS color make sure you pick out a diffrent one since PMS colors are so close. Dont take s*** off these losers hanging onto the past. This is why I dont run anything thru the hysterical society. Its nothing but BS politics and time wasting committees.

Make them pick that PMS coclor and then stick it to them. the signs are awesome and they should be damn glad such quality is availbale to them

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. My customer is the one fighting with them. Sad thing is he has had a very popular cafe in town now for over 20 years and they still are busting his chops. I don't know what's going to happen.

Donna,

The signs were sent out to my router guy who did the textured background. He routed 4 signs, two smaller and two larger. The larger signs are glued together with wood boards going across to make a two sided hanging sign. The two smaller are on the sidewalk board. I actually tried to talk him out out the ones on the sidewalk sign as I figured they would get broken easily.

Sprayed and hand painted with RustScat Acrylic Latex Enamels (my favorite paint). The pinky, purply blend was trial and error, again with the RustScat paint.

Doug,

I did enter this in the SOTM but ole David Harding had to make something that blew it away!!! HE HE.

OK, I need to get to work. Thanks again. I'll let you know what comes of this.

[ July 06, 2007, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, that is a really nice sign!!!

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you, but I could just see this on one of those special interest segments on a local TV news program........"Sign has inspectors seeing red! The Coffe Bistro in downtown Lake Helen was recently refused a permit for a sign the inspectors say is red. This is Joe Soandso and I'm standing next to the sign in question sign, looking all over for the red they are talking about and haven't found it yet. Can any of you folks out there see it?" They eat this sort of thing up.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike South
Visitor
Member # 4523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike South   Email Mike South       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope your customer fights....Go to the city council meeting or whatever it is.
Be a little arogant and set that sign in front of them. Demand to explain the red. Have a sample of RED, hold it next to the sign.
Remind them of the 2 generations of business and tax dollars they have paid.

Tell em your using it...or else lawyers get involved.

Historical signs never had color...come on
When was red invented anyway?

Very NICE Sign.

--------------------
Mike South
ABC Glass & Signs, Inc.
1415 Main Street
Miles City, MT 59301

abc@midrivers.com
406-234-1234

Posts: 167 | From: Miles City, MT | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kurtzman
Visitor
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Kurtzman   Author's Homepage   Email John Kurtzman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy;
If your client has been unpopular with the city for 20 years in a previous business I can honestly say that he should not have started the new signs without first getting a permit, and I say this as a commissioner on the Norwalk Ct. Historical Commission. I can remember similar situations where those in controll seem to have had personal issues against those using improper procedures.Truthfully I don't think the color on the sign has anything to do with this one. My suggestion is that he might take this to the zoning board of appeals for restitution.

John Kurtzman
john@kurtzmansigns.com
www.kurtzmansigns.com

--------------------
John Kurtzman
J.G. Kurtzman Sign Shop
97 Taylor Ave. Norwalk, Ct. 06854

-----------------------------------
Creative communication since 1959

Posts: 213 | From: So. Norwalk, Ct. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Shuster
Resident

Member # 7307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Shuster   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Shuster       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain. I recently did a very nice design for a local farmers market to go on as a painted mural on an existing historic building. My design would cover up an old faded non-readable exisitng painted mural on the building. The state was willing to pay the city to make it happen. The city wanted a "sign" but not on the building "as it would detract from a historic building". Hence the city has no money to pay for the "sign" they want and the state won't fund anything but the mural on the building.

--------------------
Chris Shuster
BlueGrass Design, Inc.
16 Court St. Winchester, KY 40391
859-737-4199

Posts: 18 | From: Winchester, KY | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, just ask for the city sign ordinance.
It is either going to be written in the way they want or not, bottom line. Then you will know who is in the right. Beautiful work.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe all of the advice to fight the city over this. Apparently a lot of you have never dealt with code enforcement. They are not going to change their position so some business owner can have a little sign with the colors they desire. Especially since they tell you to get it approved before having it made. Even the big chains are subject to conforming to code wherever they set up for business. But this is the customer's problem, not Amy's. Get paid again to change it.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Taylor:
Amy, just be glad you aren't doing sign work in Cary, NC. You'd be amazed at some of the bureaucratic BS in that town when it comes to signage.

Co- signed...I stay AWAY from cary and I live right next to it.

I don't know what kind of people make these rules up , but around here, some of the KFC's are all blue. Does it make people feel safer or more important to live in these types of communities?

I don't get it either...
THe sign nazis have made a few of my customers take down their window splashes also.
What a bunch of idiots.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work constantly in our Historical district here. It seems the goal is to weed out the crap signs. This is definately not the case!
What a weird demand.
You need to find the origination of that decision to omit red. There may be a simple reason like they didn't want red letters on a red brick building?... who knows? Look into it.

Paint a 2'x4' board fire red & set it next to yours at the meeting.

Beautiful signs! This type of crap really burns my a#@!

PS.. you may want to make an absolutely HORRIBLE & CHEAP sign that fits their criteria (break ALL the design rules you ever knew!) & present that along with your beautiful, professional sign.

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Present this to those simple minded control freaks!

- ! That's brown, not red by the way.

LOVELY isn't it?

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Bierce
Visitor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Bierce   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bierce       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The words of wisdom, "Choose your battles wisely" comes to mind with regards to this whole affair.

Will taking on city hall benefit your business?

--------------------
Paul Bierce - Designer
pabierce@hotmail.com
www.paulbierce.com

Posts: 330 | From: Dix Hills, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...be careful with what you show kooks like these, if they see Michaels design, they will most likely INSIST on IT!

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

--UPDATE-- --UPDATE--

It turns out the contractor that pulled the permits turned in a color copy of the original sketch which looked more red than it should have.

After seeing the sign in person they said nothing was wrong with it and let him put it up. They said the only thing is it should have been made from wood rather than HDU. There are HDU signs all through there!!

So, it's a done deal.

[ July 10, 2007, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YYYYAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!! Chalk one up for our side!
Beautiful work Amy. Congratulations on the install. And you didn't even have to jeprodize your business/city relationship to do it. Win win. [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a note for the future, i've shown the atkinson and henderson books to hysterical society folks just to wake 'em up about the wild colours actually used for signs back then, they confuse building colours with sign colours, i've actually been told to make the signs with the same 3 colours as the building so the signs 'blend in', why bother with a sign at all? My favourite speech to them is to explain the difference between contrast and conflict and that you can have one without the other. Without contrast you'll love a historic district to death with boredom. Most towns would rather have open stores than boarded up windows and no jobs/taxes, but it's a battle sometimes. CONGRATULATIONS!

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~~~Aaaaaaaa'meeeeeee~~~whatch'u gonna dooo~~~~~~

Amy, I certainly can identify with your dilemma since we have a 'Hysterical' society too and they are not only VERY picky but disunified as well since for some reason some businesses get away with assinine stuff while others are made to 'walk the chalk'.

I can honestly say that this particular sign would pass here since as you said it is NOT red, nor a 'loud' colour, but more of a 'burnt orange. Our particluar group here evidently believes 'loud' colours did not exist in those days, and thus everything must be some muted-dusty shade of 'age'.

You did a great job and this IS a GREAT looking sign and had I done it I would be almost willing to take it to court just to make the point.

By and large, I've never been completely convinced the historic committees ANY where can really prove what colours were OR were'nt used in the 1800's. We have NO colour pics, no actual colour samples that ar NEW or original . . .
What has decades of fading and non-climate controlled ineteriors really done to the colour?? There's no computer data to refer to. Who's memory was consulted for these things??

From ancient art we can see broad use of many vibrant colours from around the world. (Aside from such religious extremists as Amish for example) are we to beleive that the early settlers were the original colour police banning the use of any vibrant colours in or on homes and businesses in the early days of our American history?? Was Betsy Ross an early revolutionist with her daring red stripes??

*sigh* I could certainly add more . . .

Signed,
NOT sorry for the rant . . .

[ July 13, 2007, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s. I was once told there was no historical precedent for gold leaf and that it looks too brassy, I asked, in my most diplomatic tone, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN PICTURES OF THE FREAKIN PYRAMIDS? they've been around a little longer than the main drag of Bayfield, and they have gold leaf in 'em

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by -grampa dan:
...put it back up...
If the city challenges it there would be GREAT opportunity to have a public battle with plenty of press. Free publicity for the coffee shop. I'm sure the coffee shop customers would happily sign a petition and it would be the talk of the town... good for everyone except this dorky official.

Your sign is absolutely great!

Sign professionals should get involved in re-writing sign regulations in their communities, I highly recommend it!

Most regs. were complied by those who know absolutely nothing about signs and are opposed to everything that applies to them, residents, uninformed individuals and people from histerical groups that want to turn their community into a poster community for the national planning associations.

Revamping regulations to be fair to all, the municipality, community, residents and the most important, the business community, who by the way brings in many tax dollars to support your community Should be of the highest importance.

The United States Sign Council is a great association to belong to for professional sign people. I have been a member for several years, their information and help was beneficial in re-writing our local sign by-laws. I chaired our sign by-law task force, a committee of five brought forth new regulation to protect everyone including the business community.

The USSC will in fact work with you to fight bad and overly restrictive by laws!

I agree with Grampa Dan,
Bring out the sign after occupancy permit is issued, use this as a test case. Contact the USSC.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!