Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I am tired of customers taking calls while I am waiting on them.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am tired of customers taking calls while I am waiting on them.
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I accept that just about every customer has a cell phone now a days, but I don't accept being rude and taking calls while I am working with them. Or how about a customer walks in while talking on the phone and expects you to wait while they carry on their conversation. Its really getting to me and I want to post a sign.

WOuld you post the sign outside, as they walk in? or on the counter? Has anyone else posted one? How did you word it?

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never mind the sign....

take a lesson and be rude right back.....

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest you go back to work. They will get to speak with you again when they are able to catch your attention again. They will eventually decide which is more important.
One shop that I go to has a sign asking "no cell phones" in their shop. I knew that one was coming!

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura,

I deal with this all the time and just a week ago I got very angry with a customer that accepted 3 calls while I was trying to get all their info on what they wanted, etc. I have a cell phone too, but I always silence the ringer if I am speaking to someone and then when I am done, I call whomever called me back.

They are inconsiderate, and I agree with posting some sort of sign. Though i just don't know how you would word it.

And Michael is right, sometimes you just need to be rude right back.

T

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just walk away and do something else. When they are done, come back and talk to them. It depends on what kind of day I am having but I would take my clue from the customer...if THEY are rude, I'd get REAL busy and make THEM wait.
I don't think a sign would help...they are too busy talking on their phone anyway. [Bash]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this architect that has his sexetary call me & put me on hold until he's done with his next call. I just hang up.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do it the same way movie theaters and other businesses do it:

Picture of a cell phone inside a circle with a slash through it, just like a No Smoking sign, with the words "No Cell Phones"

Put it on your door, right next to the handle where they will see it, and another one on top of the counter or hanging right on the front of the counter.

No need to be politically correct or word it all feely touchy. Tell them exactly what you want them to do. No "Please" and no "thank you" are required, just a big NO so they get the hint, otherwise they won't take you seriously! No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service has always worked.

We have businesses here with "NO TWEAKERS" and "NO CELL PHONES" emblazoned across their doors and windows. It's good to see some folks finally standing up to put an end to the bullcrap.

The next step (for me, at least) would be to grab some plaster and enough tight wire mesh to completely cover all the walls. Put a skim coat of plaster on the walls, stick the mesh into it, then another coat of plaster. The mesh will disrupt the cell phone signals and NOBODY will be able to get a signal in that area. Anyone walking through your door while on the phone will be instantly cut off as their signal vanishes. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix, was that a little Freudian slip?

I think Mike's no cell phone sign is how I would go.

Mike, what is a tweaker?

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikes Pipes is a tweaker, thats how he lost his weight [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura... first of all get a gun permit so you can tote a big gun... like a 44 magnum. Wear it on your side in a big leather holster.

Then post signs, "Please do not reach for your cell phone, as I may misinterpret your actions."

After one or two customer's phone rings, they reach for it, and you draw down on them... word will get around town that YOU DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE AT LAURA'S.

If you have an old desk or something in your showroom, you might even squeeze off a round or two into it for extra effect for those particularly annoying customers...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then Laura needs to post the following sign:

-

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Laura, I know it's rude, but how bad do you want their business? My competitor has the no interuption attitude.

Cell phones are a fact of life. I would just keep track of the time and charge the time into the deal. Its not worth loosing a client over.

Good luck [Smile]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would simply say - Perhaps you'd prefer to come back later when you're not so busy.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did the human race survive before cell phones? I am amazed when I get out in traffic at how every other driver has one stuck in his/her ear, blabbing away. Same thing in most public places....yakyakyakyakyakyak. How do folks find so much to talk about?

Yes, I have one, but it stays in my truck for emergencies only. Last time I had an emergency, the batteries were dead! [Mad]

My cell phone:

-

[ May 25, 2007, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Mark Tucker ]

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, that's a good way of looking at it. I personally have no shop at this time but make appointments with people through my cell phone, all kinds of appointments just like everyone else. I don't care if I'm speaking in person with a future customer and they get a call or I get a call as its all about the money for both of us, I give'm all a break and if new technology in communication bothers others than maybe the great outdoors will put them into a new perspective as its done me. Spending too much time in one's shop stops you from meeting new people unless waiting for customers to come to you is your trip.

cell phones forever [Applause]

--------------------

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue Brown
Visitor
Member # 6677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Brown   Email Sue Brown       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Campbell:
Mike, what is a tweaker?

Dusty.. a tweaker is a speed freak.. umm as in Meth.. .. I used to work grave yard shift as a grocery checker.. Tweakers grocery shop in the middle of the nite..lol .. boy was that fun..

Now as to cell phones.. If people get on their phones at the counter.. and its not related to something important to the sign.. We will just walk away and get back to work.. I basically tell them.. Let me know when your ready for me.

and and if people call me then put me on hold .. i tend to hang up too... I dont have time time to sit on hold.. nor stand at the counter waiting for someone to get off their cell

--------------------
sue brown
american instant signs
pasadena, calif

Posts: 90 | From: southern california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger MacMunn
Visitor
Member # 4316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rodger MacMunn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use a cell much, but often one is waiting on an important call & trying to do business at the same time........ my shop phone usually rings when I'm talking to a customer, so there's no difference.
I deal with it quickly & call back later so as to not waste my customer's time, so if the shoe is on the other foot, I'd simply carry on working until they were ready to talk.
I would think a sign prohibiting cell usage in your shop would appear rude - we're ALL busy.....

--------------------
Rodger MacMunn
T.R. MacMunn & Sons
C.P.207, Sharbot Lake, ON
613-279-1230
trmac@frontenac.net

Posts: 474 | From: Sharbot Lake, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just crank the surround sound up to the max and go back to work in the shop. I refuse to stand around waiting for them.

My shop...my rules.
Rapid

[ May 25, 2007, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty, Sue got it on the tweaker definition but you'll be able to spot a tweaker quite easily if you see one out in public. Their skin will be drawn tight, likely full of scars where they've used their fingernails to literally gouge out chunks of skin because they think they see bugs crawling on their faces, and they stutter like Elmer Fudd only a tweaker is extra-entertaining because they'll have a nervous tick or shake to go along with the stuttering (hence the nickname tweaker). A real mess.

I don't think posting a sign barring cell phone use in your business is rude. They're coming to you for their needs and anyone that respects anyone else's time will not balk at not using a phone during the meeting. It does go both ways, I won't take a call while I'm talking to someone else. That's what voicemail is for. Unless someone is on their deathbed or pregnant or stranded on the side of the road in B.F.E. there just isn't anything important enough to be glued to the phone - a slave to the Bell.

I think the whole phone thing just reeks of irony.

Alexander Bell invents the phone so people could communicate easier.

People get tired of answering the phone all the time or missing calls so someone else invents the answering machine.

Then along comes caller ID at home and combined with the answering machine, people start screening their calls (so they don't have to talk to anyone they don't want.)

Then someone else invents the mobile phone so people can always take calls wherever they are.

Then the mobile phone gets voicemail and caller ID built-in so people can screen their calls and avoid talking to each other again.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

geez Mike ya forgot the invention of the sign machine like the one you use which turns persons into sign and graphics wizards.

and how bout the invention of the color wheel so persons can see what its gonna look like [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

well Joey I'm startin' to hate "sign machines" too... I prefer looking at the world through the tiny square on the back of a camera... it's a narrow view but it's the one I like. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

and your photography is excellent Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many types of cell phone users here too:

I appreciate when someone receives a call that they can't miss and they attempt to take it outside. I tell them to remain inside because they'll never hear their conversation on the street. The person on the other end of the line can't see that my customer is busy with me, it's not their fault!

I also appreciate the ones who will look at the screen and realize that they'll take it later. I always give them the option of taking the call.

Cell phones have become our lifelines and I don't begrudge anyone taking a business call while "shopping in my store".
He has already taken the time out of his busy life to come to MY shop to do business with me.
I will accept a little inconvenience or delay in my daily routine to accommodate a client.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene, you're a good man....

But after standing around, shifting from one foot to the other, tapping the counter, fuming, and having random thoughts of beating someone with a coroplast sign, listening to the following for 10 min... I still stand by the 44 Mag solution.

"Honey, yes we can eat out tonight..."

"No.. that's fine with me..."

"Yes, you cook plenty, it's perfectly fine if we eat out tonight.."

"No, honey.... you are a good wife..."

"I know, we've eaten out all week... it doesn't matter...."

"No... we had seafood last night... I'm thinking more of Outback tonight..."

"Yes, I'm saving $20 bucks here at the sign shop... we can afford it..."

"Yes, they ARE the ones that have the Bloomin' Oni......"

BLAM... BLAM BLAM.... BLAM!

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon points out the real cause of those " hate those cell phone calls. Most would accept it if someone had to take a call that seemed worthy.
But those calls just to yak,,
Those are exactly the calls that cause the problems.

I left in the middle a lunch date with a supplier once because of that. Sorry he had to pay the bill.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Golden, you ARE the man. That's what I wanted to say. [Applause]

[Cool]

[ May 26, 2007, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gene too.
I will also take my calls while with a client, but I'll say "excuse me, I'll make this brief"
If it's a pre-scheduled appointment for an important client, I won't... but the usual walk-ins can wait a minute... I'm always doing ten things when they walk in, so I'm already making a sacrifice to help them... and if they get a call... I got 9 other things I can return to for a few mnutes.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone takes a call while we're in the middle of a conversation, I just pretend they disappeared.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm of the opinion of Gene, Rick, and Doug. In fact, if I were forced to list the top 1000 things that bug me, the cell phone thing wouldn't make my list. I just find something else to do while people are on the phone. Most of the time the calls are short, and it's not much of an interruption.

Something that does make my list: store owners/employees that don't acknowledge my presence when I walk into their store, and they are busy with another customer. It would be nice to have them say, "I'll be with you as soon as I can"., instead of pretending you don't exist.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I don't want to be inturpted with their phone I will turn off my phone in front of them and
say something like "there now we won't be disturbed"

Some take the hint and turn off or at least ignore any incoming calls...others are still clueless.

I've also stareted to leave in the middle of their phone conversation telling them "I gotta go" you want to see them get off the phone fast...it's pretty funny.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane Diaz:
Just walk away and do something else. When they are done, come back and talk to them. It depends on what kind of day I am having but I would take my clue from the customer...if THEY are rude, I'd get REAL busy and make THEM wait.
I don't think a sign would help...they are too busy talking on their phone anyway. [Bash]

Sounds good.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Lowry
Visitor
Member # 7353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Lowry   Author's Homepage   Email Kathy Lowry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, being interrupted by a customers cellphone irritates me to no end. I too have thought of putting up a sign requesting no cellphones. 99% of the time my customers calls are frivolous. My time is valuable. I stand at my counter with a bored look on my face, tapping my fingers and sighing. Sometimes i'll go back to work on a job but that means i'll be getting into the job again and have to be interrupted again.

I will not interrupt a customer who has taken the time to come into my shop to answer my phone. They may tell me to take the call but i tell them that they've taken the time to come in and i will not interrupt our business. I have voice mail and if that caller really wants to talk to me they can leave a message or call back.

--------------------
Kathy Lowry
Lowry's Sign Shop
2004-B W. Pinhook Rd.
Lafayette, LA 70508
337-233-4412
signs@lowrysprinting.com

RIP Pvt. Mark Graham, US Army 7/26/1984 - 3/7/2007

Posts: 20 | From: Lafayette, LA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Bierce
Visitor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Bierce   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bierce       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ McMullin:
Something that does make my list: store owners/employees that don't acknowledge my presence when I walk into their store, and they are busy with another customer. It would be nice to have them say, "I'll be with you as soon as I can"., instead of pretending you don't exist.

Amen Russ! I can't stand it when people do that.

As far as the whole cell phone things goes, I chalk it up to something I read in "How to win friends and influence people" over the weekend.

To paraphrase:
"Everyone craves the feeling that they're important"

Cell phones give people that feeling. By yapping on the phone they're puffing themselves up and sending the message to the rest of us "Hey, I'm a really important person and really must take this call".

And don't even get me started with all the New Yorkers who are addicted to their "Crackberry's"

[ May 29, 2007, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Paul Bierce ]

--------------------
Paul Bierce - Designer
pabierce@hotmail.com
www.paulbierce.com

Posts: 330 | From: Dix Hills, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Jon's solution....open fire!

But I would add one thing: After the smoke clears, relieve them of their phone and sell it on eBay.

We're in this business for profit after all, aren't we?! [Razz] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol Ms.Laura . . . don'cha love people?? Actually if it were'nt for all these people on the planet things would run a lot smoother . . . [Razz]

Meanwhile . . . mabey put up a sign on your counter that says.... (in some real frilly and sweet typestyle):

'We reserve the right to completely ignore you for several minutes even after your phone conversation is complete'

(and the small print says: For better service, we respond to courtesy)

Mabey add a 'caution' sign at top and a big, smiley face at the bottom for implied sarcasm . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old Chinese Proverb:

"He who writes checks or pays in cash answer as many cell phone calls as he need to" [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!