Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Help! Rigibility

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Rigibility
Bob Parsons
Visitor
Member # 1034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Parsons       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got pretty thin painted aluminum blanks and am using them for Real Estate A frame signs. They're light and they are 24" x 32" which is a good size. They are a tad too flimsy though. I need something light, inexpensive and can be glued. AND right away!

Thanks,

bob

--------------------
Bob Parsons
907-258-6283
rparsons@gci.net

Posts: 118 | From: Anchorage, AK / USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Parsons
Visitor
Member # 1034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Parsons       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I meant was, something light, inexpensive and can be glued on to what I have. It also has to be to be about a quarter inch max thickness...

--------------------
Bob Parsons
907-258-6283
rparsons@gci.net

Posts: 118 | From: Anchorage, AK / USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/4" masonite or plywood glued with contact cement would be my first guess.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Parsons
Visitor
Member # 1034

that might do it. for some reason i was just thinking of some type of U shaped plastic that could even clip on to the sides of these panels....

--------------------
Bob Parsons
907-258-6283
rparsons@gci.net

Sandy Baird
Resident

Member # 4773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandy Baird   Author's Homepage   Email Sandy Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

Could you not put a 90 degree bend on all four sides of your sign blank. The bends would go a long way to stiffen the panel. A quarter inch bend should do it.

Sandy

--------------------
Sandy "Monk" Baird
Windwalker Sign Studio
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4H9

Posts: 442 | From: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Parsons
Visitor
Member # 1034

Nah, Sandy the sign blanks already have rounded corners and I don't have a metal break. but you're right about the strength from a bend.

i just found some oak molding in the bin. this might just do the trick...

bp

I'm still open for suggestions though. I'm in the research and development stage...

--------------------
Bob Parsons
907-258-6283
rparsons@gci.net

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Bob,
Just about any outdoor substrate would work ok. My first thought was in line with Si's and I would think that masonite or other hardboard would be fine. But, I think you could use corrugated plastic too. After all, isn't that how alumalite is made?
The only problems I foresee are making sure you laminating both sides of the substrate with aluminum. And making sure whatever substrate you choose will stick to the aluminum without failure.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Parsons
Visitor
Member # 1034

i found some oak strips in the shop. They are about a 1/4 thick and 1/2 wide. I think they'll do the trick. Gluing them to a painted surface is my numero uno fear right now. I have liquid nails going and loctite brand of the same

--------------------
Bob Parsons
907-258-6283
rparsons@gci.net

Murray MacDonald
Visitor
Member # 3558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murray MacDonald   Email Murray MacDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,you got Gorilla Glue? Spray a little water on the aluminum, GG on the wood, clamp. Sticks like sh*t to a blanket. How about strips of Dibond instead of the oak?
MUR

--------------------
Murray MacDonald
OldTime Signs
529 Third Ave S
Kenora, ON.
P9N 1Y3
oldtimesigns@gokenora.com

Posts: 781 | From: Kenora, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Parsons
Visitor
Member # 1034

I do have Gorilla glue. Never thought of that for a non pourous surface. What I did on the prototype was rivets. I love rivets -- when I don't have to letter over them!

bp

--------------------
Bob Parsons
907-258-6283
rparsons@gci.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!