Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Dun & Bradstreet- what do they do for you? Are they worth the fees?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dun & Bradstreet- what do they do for you? Are they worth the fees?
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago Dun & Bradstreet called me and said they wanted to update my files and info. I know some companies contact them to see if you are legit and doing okY (like pay your bills). I paid them $426 to update the info. Today I get a call and they want to do more updating and monthly send me a printout of what companies have requested my info all for a low price of $600 year. We have been in business 14 years as a mom and pop size business.
What are your thoughts or experience with them?

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were a million plus a year corporate entity that needed a good looking resume...maybe I would consider it, but at my level? nah... I'd rather use that money to buy airline tickets for a vacation.

I guess I get 10 calls a year from people wanting to "update" their records...my question to them has always been "How can you update records we've never authorized you to keep in the first place".

Amazing how they just fall out of the air...click!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to remember that line the next time some company wants to "update"

Diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dianne. To assess just how valuable and accurate their information might be, think back to the request for update call that you received. If their procedure was similar to what I experienced, I pretty much could have told them anything that would have made me look good. They take telephone information verbatim, and to my knowledge there really isn't all that much follow-up done to confirm if the information that I've supplied is even anywhere near accurate.

If they haven't bone any follow-up with that information you supplied them (call to your bank to confirm balance etc), then what is their information REALLY WORTH ?

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny, I just got a call from themn today.
Amoung the the things they mentioned was a "slow pay" note on $5000 worth of office furniture from some company.
I have never bought $5000 of furniture for anywhere. They gave me a number to call to straighten it out.
Of course the main reason for the call was to sell me a subscription so I could monitor it myself.
I wonder if they have any regulations like the credit reporting agencies do?

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your money back.
In 20 years I never needed them and never paid them a dime. And never did ever hear about any one checking with them about my business. I came to hate teh phone calls for updates and usually hung up on them.

I have several 30 day net accounts and none of them ever wanted a dunn & brad number.

And what really piks me off is they charge you to see your data that you earned and what they are selling to others.

here you are

http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/company-information.asp?prodid=0&catalog=Home&GUID=FA51BC3A-09AA-4A56-B192-44045B19852B&cm_mmc=n/a

[ March 09, 2007, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dunn and bradstreet is a joke. i would never pay them a dime...they do nothing for you, imo. i have NEVER in 14 yrs of business had any corporate company not want to do business with me because d&b didn't have any info. we are small sign businesses...besides joe blow excavation doesn't call d&b before they decide about lettering their trucks...trust me, ya don't need em............

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They called me all the time! About two years ago the guy was giving me the yearly "sell" over the phone. I interrupted him and said, "I have a question for you." He said "Go ahead. Ask away!" I said, "Tell me the truth. Are you (Dunn & Bradstreet) listed?" He thought a second and said "We don't list ourselves."
I hung up!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those smucks sent me some snail mail saying I had a major change in my business credit report and to call immediately. I call to find out what the heck is going on and after abotu 20 min the guy says a $50 bill wasn't paid. I asked by who to whom??? He couldn't tell me that. [Mad] I pried a little bit more and then he said I needed to cough up ~$350-400 for something and I said I don't care about $50, if anyone wants to do business with me they can call me and see what type of person I am. I've paid all my bills, etc.
I haven't heard back from them in quite a while now. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a secong thought
Who is gooan pay a couple hundred to check on you when they are just goona order a $2,000 dollar sign?

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunn&Bradstreet, second biggest joke of the year IMO. Did you know you can call them and give false information on a business and they never verify your info? You can ruin a very good business for some poor hard working person. D&B has to be a major rip-off. I once had a bad experience with them. I wound up telling them to lay off before I took legal action. End of that. Thanks for listening. Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dunn and bradstreet are about as worthless as an ad in the yellow pages and the BBB. actually the yello pages may be worth more. I usually hang up in their face and then report their number to the donotcall list. what a worthless company.

and the BBB is worthless and a waste of time along with the chamber of commerce another waste of time and money.

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donald Miner, what's the biggest joke?

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane - Save your money. A D&B number can be useful to large firms, but for a small business it has no impact.

Vic G

--------------------
Victor Georgiou
Danville, CA , USA

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How can you update records we've never authorized you to keep in the first place."
--------------
This all sounds crooked as a barrel of snakes. 20 years ago D&B made overtures to our little signshop out in the sticks. There was absolutely no advantage, so I never thought about it again. But now, see what Brian says!

"I call to find out what the heck is going on and after abotu 20 min the guy says a $50 bill wasn't paid. I asked by who to whom??? He couldn't tell me that. I pried a little bit more and then he said I needed to cough up ~$350-400 for something..."

That's more than I need to know. If your state maintains a Do Not Call list, I'd report these scum every time.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm listed, but I don't pay the extra fees for checking my report, adding references, etc. I think it does help with larger credit situations, though.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my call from them yesterday. I feel like one of the big boys now.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, the biggest joke of the year is this illegal immigration issue, and our beloved politicians handling of the situation. But I am not trying to sabotage this thread, so I will leave further comments till l;ater. Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!