Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 4x8 / cut off storage systems?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4x8 / cut off storage systems?
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 17 years I have yet to come up with a good way to store sheet stock. It ends up leaning against every wall in the shop. After a while you don't even know what you have anymore. I don't know how many sheets of 4x8 mdo, dibond, HDU, Poly, .040, PVC, and coro I have that have 3 x 5 signs or smaller cut from them.

Does anyone have any photos or suggestions of how you store you materials? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hear ya on that!!! i have a friend who loves to organize, so i have him come over and whip my sorry asss into shape. he separates all my scraps into piles by substrate & size. when he's done i see what i have. even though its just in piles leaning up against my walls, i can take an inventory of it and when i have some smaller stuff to do i go to the pile.
i do have 3 slots that i can slide 4x8s into.
i could use a more long term solution on this so i'm curious what the real organized folks do.

[ March 09, 2007, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I need something, I just go steal it from Jake. No storage needed.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a room that I store all my 4x8 sheet stock in. I put the lighter stuff in the back, working the heavier stuff forward and the Dibond is in the very front. I mark D/F on double-faced Dibond or if it's a color other than white I write that on it (in blue Stabillo of course). I have three off-cut stacks against the wall also, one that is 4' wide, one that is 2-3' wide and one that is less than 2' by whatever length. If I have plenty of larger stuff I don't save smaller scraps and if it's smaller than 12 x 18 it gets tossed regardless. This stuff breeds when you turn out the lights; you come in the next day and half the room is taken up with useless trash that you're paying $65 SF/Yr to store. The panel storage opens into the panel saw room too so that's really nice.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, here are sa couple pictures of what we did. I think we all run into this problem, and since we moved, we were destined to be organized. So we took some 2x4's and plywood and constructed dividers for our materials.

Hope this give you an idea. It keeps it out of the way and in easy view.

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=Thoying714&P=&AID=4357830&Pres=Y

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Storing offcuts is a challenge. You need to cull them regularly. We have adapted standard industrial shelving to store full sheets and in the middle built a pigeon hole rack for smaller pieces. Like any system, it breaks down if not kept up.
 -
 -

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm just a one-guy shop, so I don't have much lying around.

i have one shelf and three stacks. the shelf holds anything under 24" x 24" (mostly aluminum blanks). beneath the shelf is anything up to 24" x 48". next to that is a pile of the bigger stuff.

sorting: the tallest stuff in the back. if you have two pieces the same height, the narrow one is in front of the wider one. in one quick look i can tell if i have something the size i need. yeah, i gotta move a few pieces to get to it, but i'm only moving things if i know i got what i want.

i mix all the materials - Dibond, MDO, Sintra, acryllic. If what I need is 4' x 3' its often faster/cheaper/easier to use up that "scrap" of Dibond than to order and cut down a whole sheet of MDO (and end up with even more scraps...)

the other thing i do is trim my cutoffs to "standard" sizes. that 37" x 27" piece becomes 3' x 2' before i stick it into storage. (I cut it down at the same time i was cutting the original panel, since that's when i'm running the saw.)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what Mike built for us a few years ago.

-

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!