Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Officially retired

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Officially retired
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a sad day last Monday morning. So much time has been invested to make it the best it could be. Many late nights working to cut off a second here or a half second there. Working out to stay fit. Phone calls to suppliers. Long road trips and time away from the family. Busted knuckles and bruised limbs. Unexpected expense after expense.

I finally sold my beloved Superbike.

It has been a very fun trip though. I have seen all parts of the country, made LOTS of friends and have lots of good memories. Five Championships, 2 of which were National. I am going to be 38 in about a week and I don't heal as fast as I used to. I have had a few close calls where I may have been only a split second away from meeting my maker. 160 mph at the end of the straight at Road Atlanta, braking and tipping in with your knee on the ground will never be matched by anything else I could ever do again.

I have 2 children and have decided I need to grow up and take our business up a couple of notches. We are moving into a 4500 sq/ft building and have a full time employing starting next week. The ride will not be as fun, but it should be more profitable.

I still have my GSXR750 streetbike, so I can continue going to SBTT and instructing if time allows.

If anyone would like to take a ride on that bike go to:

www.puresportsdesigns.com/grattan_lwtsb.wmv

It is a race at Grattan MI. I led most of the race, got passed in one of my close meetings with our God, and passed them back before they called the race for rain. Sorry to give it away, but the play by play isn't there.

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very exciting.
You're making the right call.
Enjoy your kids.
[Applause]

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Jerry, I know its no conselation, but you are walking away with all limbs and head intact. Bike racing is a young man's sport. And although you are far from old, bikes are unforgiving. It's not like a car with a roll cage etc. The safety net just isn't there. Maybe you can find something else for the adrenelin. And it sounds like you were a top notch competitor. There will be MANY young people anxious to learn from you. Pass it on man.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you had a great ride Jerry! Going out on top is always the best decision.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I here ya. I'm 35 and did a nice little grade 3 Shoulder separation this past weekend. Nothing like a nice new bone sticking out of my shoulder permanently. I've been second guessing my dirt bike hobby for the past week.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez! And to think that I gave up playing volleyball because a jammed finger could put me out of commission for awhile.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been tough to say I'm not going to do it again. I know I have made the right decision though. Now the race is to get all the jobs out the door. I am a very competitive person so I enjoy the business side too.

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry I agree with George there. I'm glad you got out whilst you still can in one piece!

Gene, good one!

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, racing is psychologically addicting and it's very tough to quit altogether... maybe you should buy a sprint car and just move to a little safer but still adrenaline pumping ride...

I don't recommend quitting racing cold turkey...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!