Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » You gotta answer the phone..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You gotta answer the phone..
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a couple calls this week to do some nice panels. The first thing out of the customers mouth was, "I can't believe you answered the phone". Seems they are trying to get some work done but they continually get answering machines or a phone clerk who is not competant for the job.. (in this day and age of cells ?) Anyway, I just got a nice panel job because the customwer was desperatly calling around tyring to get a firm answer. Yes or no could it be done. He couldn't wait speculating on a return call. Yes I can do it by the weekend. Yes I will meet with you this evening. The job is MINE!

On the other hand..

I been trying to get some guilding supplies since Dixie. Not much only about $130 bux worth.. At first it was a casual approach calling every now and then but getting answering machines or a order taker who didn't give me answers with confidence. I dont wish to spend the time waiting for and working with something that "might" work.

Now that I NEED the supplies I call and still continue to get the machine or when I do get a live person they are just a clerk who says "come on down and we will see what you need. Frustrating!!!.. Now I will bypass known suppliers to call around to find what I need. No more time for bullscat..

No, I will not drive down to see if you can match something, no i will not leave a message and wait for someone to call me back. I do not have the pleasure of being able to accept a call back just any old time. Why? because while at an appointment I will not answer the cell,,,

I do not want speculation whether I can get what I need. I must have a positive answer if I can get the supplies. Yes or no. sheesh...

You just gotta answer the phone.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis hammond:
I do not have the pleasure of being able to accept a call back just any old time. Why? because while at an appointment I will not answer the cell,,,

quote:
Originally posted by Curtis hammond:
I do not want speculation whether I can get what I need. I must have a positive answer if I can get the supplies. Yes or no. sheesh...

You just gotta answer the phone.

Just a little contradicting don't you think?

If this customer had called while you were in an appointment, you would have been just another answering machine too.

It's a tough call, and I too rarely answer the phone if I have my hands full or if with a client at the time. I will return a message when I have a chance, but I can't be sitting by the phone all day waiting for that "cherry" job. Sure, maybe I'll miss getting a job from someone who wants me at their beckon call, But that type of customer might be a real PITA and I might have just saved myself from the aggravation that could arise.

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just a little contradicting don't you think?
NOPE.. like I said,, continually getting an answering machine.. as in call after call.. for days..

I perfectly understand an occasional message system.. but not for days,, or even weeks,,

This is a FYI post for all of us. There is more than a few of us who are allowing work to go elsewhere because of failing to answer them phone calls.
Hpw much does it cost to get them calls?

[ October 25, 2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upgraded the phone system at the shop this year and one of the 'benifits' is that everyone now has Vmail.
What this means in effect is that you will get answering machines. Unless I am actually sitting at my desk I won't pick up the phone (won't even hear it) but each and every time my phone rings it is indeed for me, and every call does get returned.
At first I wasn't sure I liked the system, but now that I'm not married to the phone I find my time in the shop to be much more productive. I deal with phone calls at a time of my choosing and not when I'm in the middle of doing something else. People who are themselves used to vmail are more likely to leave detailed useful messages that help a job progress, often needing no followup other than a quick reply to their vmail or and email response. Another huge benifit is that all calls are directed, no-one wastes time taking messages for anyone else.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I am here I answer every phone call..telemarketers get a curt, offensive reply, all others are handled in an appropriate manner.

When I am away on a job, I check my messages (using the cell phone) and reply to all as soon as possible. (within a few hours).

If you don't answer or reply ASAP then you WILL be losing business.

[ October 25, 2006, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8892 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before signs I was in computer sales for some large manufacturers. In 87, 88, 89 I worked for a startup out of Portland, Oregon. Less than 200 employees when I started...about a 1000 when I left. They had built their company culture to get everyone to answer the phone before the second ring because it just might be a client ( or future client) that needs an answer to something. I saw internal meetings when a phone would ring. Five people would spring to their feet and go for the phone as soon as it rang. Allowing the phone to ring twice was considered a violation of company policy. The policy did a great job of making everyone aware that the customer comes first.

In my little shop we always interrupt our activity and answer the phone. After all it just might be a customer that wants something.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats great Chuck, but who gets priority? The customer in front of you with whom you are in a discussion, or the unknown person on the other end of the line?

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I am away, my phone is forwarded to my cell. If you don't believe what Curtis is saying, just compare your caller ID with your voice mail. The difference is very educational. Many will hang up rather than leave voice mail. It's a fact. [Smile]

How many of you are willing to leave voice mails? Think about it.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3496 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're with a customer & the phone rings... he'll/she'll understand. Inform them you are there alone, excuse yourself, answer the phone, take a QUICK message & call them back after the "live one" leaves.

If your phone rings constantly... consider a receptionist.

Not real complicated. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Ellis
Resident

Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Ellis   Email Dawn Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis, have you tried Letterhead Sign Supply? Their number is (800) 531-3359. I've always reached a real person when I've called during business hours and they are able to answer and suggest the best gilding supplies for my project because they know a lot more about gold leaf than I do!

--------------------
Dawn Ellis
Signs by Dawn
Long Beach, CA
signsbydawn@aol.com

Trust yourself. Listen to the voice within. It is always right.

Posts: 456 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

yes, dawn,, they have been very informative and very helpfull.. Answered dozons of questions for me,,

--------------------

Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Curtis, tell me who you DO get your help & supplies from, because I am saving to get some gilding stuff too!

I think when you are calling a supplier you need to have a person answer the phone, one that knows about the products.

I have no cell phone, but my customers usually do leave a message & I return the call soon as I get their message.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can attest to what curt is saying. i have an answering machine, when iam awake and outa the office i forward the land line to the cell, been doin this since i got the mobile signs shop. PEOPLE WANT TO TALK TO PEOPLE.... everybody is tired of answerning machines, voice mail, or some other way to get messages without DIRECT CONTACT.
i dont usually get started before 10 am. i let the answering machine catch the early callers.....i will tell you this....i get messages some times or just caller I.D. and buy the time i get to call them back 10:30-11:am....MOST HAVE CALLED SOMEWHERE ELSE......and got the job taken care of.....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

quote:
If you're with a customer & the phone rings... he'll/she'll understand.
I humbly disagree, by taking a call you are disrespecting the customer who took the time to come to your establishment. The customer may politely 'understand' but in effect you've said 'this call is more important than you'.
Even before we had vmail my staff was instructed to hold calls or take messages if I was with a client.

In this day & age when productivity is expected to be high, most people have learned that vmail is part of the business world and deal with it effectively by leaving detailed messages.

It might well be that the differences in our opinions regarding telephones might be a reflection of our client bases. My customers are mostly large industry corporate and vmail usage is part of their daily routine, in fact when I call them most of them have vmail.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not being arrogant, I rarely am here to pick-up the phone. and Ill be damned if Im going to forward my work phone to cell phone. If its needed that bad I aint got time to do it and theres a big chance they aint going to pay upfront to have it done.

RUSH JOBS LEAD TO ONE THING....PROBLEMS!!!!

I like to deal with contractors, builders and developers. these guys usually dont need something tommorrow. I dont answer cell phone in banks, restaurants or any other in-store public place. thanks to caller ID though alot more people are getting my cell and they call it b4 they call office. If i recognize the number I just push end.

One thing that irritates me more in todays world is people trying to rush everything! .......and have you noticed the people that rush you are the same ones who you have to beg to be paid!?

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Curtis, I can understand where you're coming from. I had to deal with a similar situation the other day when I went to the home improvement store to replace the springs on my garage door. Just trying to find competent answers from anyone about anything these days is like pulling teeth.
I also have to agree with Mike. Remember the old saying "a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush"?
And Bruce, I’m impressed with your cell phone etiquette! Too bad there aren’t more like you.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what are the supplies that you're looking for?

Does Percell have them?

Is the info that you get from them knowledgeable and helpful?

Did they answer the phone?

Ron's curent formula for back up color is real good. They have fresh geletin. Good variety of brushes and tools. Most every flavor of leaf and powder.

On the east coast is QH & F. Did you try them? It's obvious that the average sign supply house is selling to the vinyl shop now.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6756 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regards to taking a call while you are with a customer, I must say that I agree with Mike O'Neill. As a consumer myself, I really don't appreciate it when someone interupts any dialog with me to take a call. I do politely accept it, but I don't like it. It does send the wrong message.

Thus, when I have a customer here, I rarely answer the phone unless it's something that needs immediate attention, or can be handled with a quick response.

Funny, I've actually been with a customer here, where they are the ones answering their cell phones during my time with them, and then talk at length. That's just rude.

My thinking is, if I'm giving fully of my time, and not getting other things done in my busy schedule, ... so should they.

I had a customer here once that I found myself waiting at my own office for them to finish conducting their business on their cell phone. I ended up getting up and doing something else at my shop while they were done. I even made some phone calls of my own. I did mention it to them when they finally got off the phone.

If I've made an appt. for a time slot with a person, I'd appreciate the entire slot. hahahaa
My time is valuable and scarce too.

I started detering such situations by telling people that I had a window of time for them before I had another appt. In essence, I put a ceiling on our time. This way, they know they have me for only a period of time, and they can choose how they spend that. Chances are it won't be on their phones with someone else while I twiddle my thumbs. [Smile]

As for not answering the phone when customers call. I'm guilty of that, but have been trying to get better. It's difficult to be one person, and handle things with the focus they deserve. I've lost jobs because of it, which isn't good. But worse is the reputation that you are hard to get a hold of, or you don't return phone calls. I don't like it on the recipricating end, so I'm aware of it and I return calls promptly. Still, it's difficult to juggle everything sometimes.

~nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ALWAYS answer the phone even when I have someone here. Everyone can tell that I am "juggling" people and time and everyone respects everyone even if we all have to do so in fast forward sometimes.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto to Frank & Curtis.

I don't think there is one right answer, but for those of us who wish to juggle, I think in my case it is done such that is generally does not offend anyone. I always say either "do you mind if I take this call" (never got a "NO" yet) or "excuse me while I arrange to get back to this person when we're done"

I don't have people in here on appointments, they are walk-ins, & sometimes 2 or more are here at once & they can see I'm busy. I have always heard (& experienced) that being (or appearing) busy can be good for commanding respect & control of negotiations from price to my scheduling availability.

I have transfered my shop line to my cell every night & lunch break for 6 years. I also put in a $500 intercom dialer outside my door. It is set to uses my fax line for dialing my shop line number. Whenever my door is locked, people see the labeled "Call" button by the speaker & when pressed, I answer my cell phone. I can then give them my arrival time, or notify them if I am 5 minuites away at the hardware store or the bank.

One good job this year came from some desperate convention attendees on a Saturday night while I was watching TV. It only took a few minutes away from my TV show, but I chose to invest my Sunday meeting them & saving the day for them. I could have said no, but for $5K with a 50% deposit, I said Yes! I have aquired several good repeat customers by being the one who answered the phone, & I know this, because like Curtis mentioned, they have explained in frustration how many other shops don't answer the phone.

Besides the bathroom, one of the only other times I refuse to answer the phone is when I am eating cereal. I HATE soggy cereal!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Wisdom
Resident

Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Wisdom   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Wisdom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In having worked in various customer service positions in my previous work I know the value of an immediate personal answer.
Answering the phone within 1 or 2 rings is very important along with professionalism:
Joe's Custom Signs, may I help you?
or "Thank you for calling Joe's Custom Signs" rather than - "Hi, this is Joe"

I too have invested in call forwarding, this enables me to forward it to my cell phone and I have received some important calls while away.

People want to talk to people, someone that sounds like they know what they are doing,and be shown they are important and you value their business.

Many clients that I have talked to that have been getting a machine at other shops are relieved to talk to a real person.

--------------------
Jeff Wisdom
SignWorks
info@oregonsignworks.com

Posts: 450 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!