Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » POLL ON DRUGS... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: POLL ON DRUGS...
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Weed is illegal because the tobacco, booze and perscription drug industrys and religious instutions do NOT want it to be legal. They know that If it was, it would become "the drug of choice".
Oh brother. The tobacco, booze and pharmaceutical industries would be the first to market it if they thought they could make a dime. Lawyers would love it if it were legal because of potential suits that would incur. Just look at the money they've been squeezing out of tobacco.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GLENN...we been down this road before and you have such a narrowminded view of the world...that for you yea...maybe if you shot youre self in the foot...for real(instead of doin so with words here) you might see how really how somebody has ZERO KNOWLEGDE of drugs this would be you...took a lighthearted thread of one YOU had the choice of either participating in or not, but choose to hijack it to FIT YOURE MORAL/POLITICAL/SOCIAL viewpoint WHEN IT DIDNT HAVE TO BE....go get on youre high horse somewhere else.....most here are grown people who have long since made DECISIONS of how they would be..without youre SOAPBOXING MORALISTIC VEIWPOINT!!!!! such arrogance....you should get a MINISTERS CERTIFICATE... then youi would have like minded captive audiance.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey brian... he probably would have been more of an a** with only alcohol and no pot...heehee. His personality warranted it I guess. I have friends who do smoke, and I really don't care, I just don't. And because it is illegal, I'm glad my kids don't. Drinking can be bad too...I lost a brother who was in an alcohol related accident. But I like a drink occasionally.

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by old paint:
GLENN...we been down this road before and you have such a narrowminded view of the world...that for you yea...maybe if you shot youre self in the foot...for real(instead of doin so with words here) you might see how really how somebody has ZERO KNOWLEGDE of drugs this would be you...took a lighthearted thread of one YOU had the choice of either participating in or not, but choose to hijack it to FIT YOURE MORAL/POLITICAL/SOCIAL viewpoint WHEN IT DIDNT HAVE TO BE....go get on youre high horse somewhere else.....most here are grown people who have long since made DECISIONS of how they would be..without youre SOAPBOXING MORALISTIC VEIWPOINT!!!!! such arrogance....you should get a MINISTERS CERTIFICATE... then youi would have like minded captive audiance.

Well OP, if you don't like it, stop posting Off Topic posts that have nothing to do with Signs. Otherwise, quit your whining, smile and do something useful for a change.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have some valid points Glenn, but you're still applying a double standard.
Even though caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and, yes, even sugar may not be immediately psychoactive, they are all mood altering, addictive and readily available. The same can be said about a lot of prescription drugs too.
So, rhetorically speaking, who are you to arbitrarily judge what is right or wrong when comparing two equally addictive and damaging drugs? Are you going to take the word of some school that can benefit from your decision, or corporate interest that makes a contribution to your political campaign?
"Exercising common sense" doesn't fly. If everyone had common sense, our government would not be in the shape it is in now, and hundreds of thousands people would NOT die each year because of their own or another’s carelessness.
Doctors wouldn't amputate the wrong leg of a patient; politicians wouldn't be sending suggestive letters to congressional pages'; teachers wouldn't be sleeping with their grade school students; and alcoholics wouldn't drive drunk. And I don't even have to investigate to find that most of these atrocities occur while these people are abusing or addicted to some sort of legal and sometimes mind altering substance.
I want to know who these "big pot lobbyists" are. The problem with that theory is that none of the drug or tobacco companies would even entertain getting into the manufacturing or growing of marijuana. There would be no money in it because users will simply choose not to buy the commercially available product when they can grow their own. And this is where the problem lies. Our government’s addiction to taxes will forbid the growing of pot without some sort of control and taxation.
As a nation, we need to worry more about our own actions as individuals and accept the consequences of them, instead of trying to influence and judge the actions of others.
When this finally happens, the world would be a much better place.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought that this might be useful to anyone who hasn't read this thread in it's entirety...

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Shortreed:
We're finally able to access the Internet today for a short time. I hate to be a party pooper, but isn't there better topics to discuss than this sort of stuff?

Is there anyone out there interested in gilding, carving, layout, or making more money? We realize Letterville is a Community of people who know each other as real friends. I don't want to interfere with the flow of info in Letterville, but I do sometimes wonder if we waste time and energy posting about stuff that has nothing to do with our lives as Letterheads..

[ October 15, 2006, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Jon Aston ]

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Brian,

Its the medical community that has defined what is and what is not psychoactive. As such, there is no double standard.

quote:
So, rhetorically speaking, who are you to arbitrarily judge what is right or wrong when comparing two equally addictive and damaging drugs?
Ignoring the flaw in the arguement, I'm an American citizen with with the right to vote my conscience on what is best for this nation, the same as you.

quote:
"Exercising common sense" doesn't fly. If everyone had common sense, our government would not be in the shape it is in now, and hundreds of thousands people would NOT die each year because of their own or another’s carelessness.
I disagree. I don't think the problem is a lack of common sense. I think the problem is that people choose to ignore it when it conflicts with their desires.

quote:
I want to know who these "big pot lobbyists" are.
Legalize pot and you will.

quote:
. The problem with that theory is that none of the drug or tobacco companies would even entertain getting into the manufacturing or growing of marijuana.
If there is money to be made, you can bet they will.

quote:
There would be no money in it because users will simply choose not to buy the commercially available product when they can grow their own.
Just like people people who grow their own tobacco for their own cigarettes or corn to make their own whiskey? Lets not forget the lessons of the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794.

quote:
Our government’s addiction to taxes will forbid the growing of pot without some sort of control and taxation.
Which is why companies will be able to profitably sell their own pot. They can afford the lawyers and licenses.

quote:
s a nation, we need to worry more about our own actions as individuals and accept the consequences of them, instead of trying to influence and judge the actions of others.
But isn't that what you are trying to do by debating this?

I'm not judging the individual. I've not said anything personal to anyone in this debate, unlike some have to me. But, I am judging the wisdom of promoting a psychoactive drug (as defined by the medical and scientific community) as something harmless and non-toxic.

I also think the world would be a better place if we would remain sober and as Dan said, "Get high on Life."

[ October 15, 2006, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well OP, if you don't like it, stop posting Off Topic posts that have nothing to do with Signs. Otherwise, quit your whining, smile and do something useful for a change.
BUT IF YOU WOULD STOP....SO WOULD THIS...BOZO....youre like the arsonist...who love to watch fires HE SETS!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Resorting to name calling, OP?

Bozo?

Tsk tsk.

How dare I have an opinion different than yours and actually express it without your permission.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The statement on the opposite side is false.
(over)
The statement on the opposite side is true.

Oh, my ego.
It hurts..........

Lets go P A I N T some signs.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bozo? I think I saw him at the Circus.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn - it's obvious the few of us who don't agree with dope use on this site aren't going to change any minds here.

I say, we've made our argument and we'll get no concessions from the users (although I've personally agreed that medicinal use, if proven is perfectly acceptable to me with a doctors script - yet we're the closed minded ones [Bash] )

I say, let's drop it...and let the users exclaim how right they are to the authorities when they get nabbed and see how far 'being right' gets them in light of the laws that society has currently set forth.

People can do anything they want...and if they're actions result in a predetermined result...then I guess they have nothing to complain about. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy Glenn, you would make a great politician. You actually make the double standard sound like a good thing.

Here are a couple of quotes for ya…

psy•cho•ac•tive (sk-ktv) adj.
Affecting the mind or mental processes. Used of a drug.

ben•zo•di•az•e•pine (bnz-d-z-pn,-pn) n.
Any of a group of psychotropic agents used as antianxiety agents, muscle relaxants, sedatives, and hypnotics.
Both are from The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

So, from what I gather of the stance that you take, all mind altering compounds should be illegal. Would it be safe to assume you would also want to ban all psychoactive, psychotropic, and benzodiazepines, like lithium, Ritalin and Prozac too? These are drugs that are used to alter or control the minds chemistry that are commonly prescribed and widely abused.

If this is what you believe in, this debate is over because you stand for what you believe in, and I can’t argue that.

If not, then you are what most would call a hypocrite. Because you’re saying that using (and abusing) a drug is ok by you because it is legal and prescribed by a doctor. However, a drug (can be grown for nearly nothing) that provides similar treatment and causes the same dangerous and mind altering side effects as a prescription drug should not be legal, only because it doesn’t have FDA approval.

The people “choose to ignore a problem” are the same ones that apparently are making money off the drugs they push. And the only difference between them and the drug dealer on the street is their drugs come with warning labels that state these legal drugs can be mood altering, addictive and have some serious side effects that can kill you. And as I mentioned earlier, I won’t argue that about pot.

And, there are reports that date back to the 1940’s that clearly state that marijuana had fewer side effects than alcohol, however our government chose to suppress them because it wasn’t the answer they wanted to hear…
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/lag/lagmenu.htm

Although somewhat dated, here’s one last note…
• Holland: The 1972 Baan-report suggested tolerating marijuana and to separate markets for marijuana and for hard drugs, which actually happened in 1976. Today, after 23 years of open marijuana sales in coffee shops, not only are there fewer problems with hard drugs but marijuana use rates are also low: Only 3% of the Dutch population smoke marijuana, vs. 5% in the USA where laws are still strict.
"Dutch teenagers get among the highest scores in the world on international science and mathematics tests. If there are serious problems caused by legalizing marijuana, then twenty-plus years of the Dutch experiment has not revealed what they are." (New Scientist http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/drugs-alcohol/) Unfortunately the original link now requires a paid subscription so I altered it a little. There is a lot of good reading, pro and con on this site.

Oh well, the weekend is over and it's time to get back to work. I hate to admit it, but this was fun [Smile]

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

A politician?! Why that's worse than calling me Bozo!!! [Wink]

hehehhehe....

I'm familiar with the New Scientist article and there is some additional data that was left out of the study they referenced. But, I'll have to get back to you about it later tonight. The new help I hired didn't show up for work this morning. [I Don t Know] Its a good thing I worked Saturday and Sunday or I'd be up a creek right now.

In the meantime, for those of you following this thread with much amusement (and you know who you are) Click Here. Some of you might recognize it.

[ October 16, 2006, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on guys, lets just agree to disagree without being disagreable. It's obvious nobody on either side is going to change the mind of or enlighten the other side so it's my vote to just drop it. I gave my opinion and what I know to be true and I'm not going to stoop to answering the cynicism. Why cast your pearls before swine?

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hog.....
Who you callin' swine?

This thing is just gettin' warmed up.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh?

I think I need an english to pothead dictonary

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Well, I had one but it was printed on hemp paper. OP found it and smoked it.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ricky, didn't you "cast" some "swine" around 1:00am sunday morning? [Rolling On The Floor] [Razz]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

"Glenn - it's obvious the few of us who don't agree with dope use on this site aren't going to change any minds here" TODDS 1ST INTELIGENT STATEMENT...."Well, I had one but it was printed on hemp paper. OP found it and smoked it." again you dont know what your talkin bout, the hemp they use for clothes & paper is not the same plant you smoke.
glennie...BOZO IS A CLOWN....take it exactly as it was ment.....and you need a new act...you could move to CLARABELL.....he was funny clown....yours is like a clown act...we all get a laugh at you but it relly never was a memeorable show.

[ October 16, 2006, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

More personal attacks, OP?

BTW, the hemp paper comment was a joke. And to think I'm the one accused of not having a sense of humor. Geez.

[ October 16, 2006, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

iam done if you are.............

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

With what? A sense of humor? [Wink]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TODDS 1ST INTELIGENT STATEMENT
Don't I get a gold star or anything?? [Wink] OP, the laureate of all knowledge has certified me worthy.

quote:
iam done if you are
It's not done till it's well-done.

[ October 16, 2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh?

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Hey Capn'

Yer from MA, get out that pitchfork
And stick it in something or somebody
and see if it's well done?

CrazyJack

I drink the hot grease from the fryin pan!
Ain't no hain't gone scare me away.......

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ken.... 'ere kmmmmmmmmmmkmmmm

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it is time for some chinese, then?

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why yes it is bruce...my treat tonite. [Wink]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/banana.php

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com

Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, fried in bacon grease. Ya know, the last time I smoked one of those toothpick things Ricky talked about, I didn't like it... it ruined my drunk.

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!