Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Web page size - what is the current standard?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web page size - what is the current standard?
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a good sized moniter and keep it cranked to the highest resolution possible. I've done it so long that to do otherwise would seem strange to me. But I suspect most of the world still does otherwise.

I'm in the process of designing a new web site for our company and am wondering if its prudent to increase the page size from 600 X 800 to something a little larger... or will too many folks not be able to view it properly without scrolling???

I'm looking for suggestions...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan:

The best policy is to check your stats to determine what resolution(s) the bulk of your visitors are using...and design accordingly.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, Ive did a few sites, and most of them are around 750 by 480 or so.
I just finished one a while back for a local radio station and it was 796 by 498. I usually look at other sites too to see what they use. I think most people still use the resolution of 800 by 600 on their monitors, so I ususally design with that in mind.
Heres the one I did recently.
WTUK

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your other option is to build it using relative table widths. This Letterhead site would be an example of that... it changes widths as you increase or decrease the size of the window, making it full screen viewable for high or low resolutions.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
720x480 is standard size for your viewer as not all monitors and resolution settings are the same.
Plus you have to think about the download speed or connection the person is using.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan - we're starting to design more sites at 1024 now. Depends on audience, but business to business is more apt to be 1024 at least, while business to consumer still holds a lot of 800 pix wide users.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Broussard
Visitor
Member # 935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Broussard   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Broussard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still designing at 780 (leaves 20pix for scrollbar). Dell has been shipping computers set to 1024, but there are still alot of 800 x 600 users. I think maybe in a couple more years I'll start designing in 1024 exclusively, but till then. . . .

I have made a site with expanding widths, but sometimes if there isn't much content, you end up with too much space and it looks kinda naked [Big Grin]

[ September 21, 2006, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Tony Broussard ]

--------------------
Tony Broussard
Graphic Details Digital Media
Loreauville, LA

Posts: 395 | From: Loreauville, LA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony is right.
I forgot about left or right scroll bar.

Height really doesn't matter as you will connect the page links together unless you have directional buttons to navigate to a different page.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!