Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Where do you get your "invoice/proposal" forms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do you get your "invoice/proposal" forms?
Eric Houser
Visitor
Member # 4461

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eric Houser   Email Eric Houser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone using an invoice template they're really happy with?
I'm using a freebie that works with WORD, but it's kinda crappy.

I'd also like to find a proposal/estimate template that would allow me to include bitmaps easily.

Thanks,
Eric

--------------------
Eric Houser
Eric Houser Signs
Richmond, Va

Posts: 74 | From: Richmond, Va | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just get mine printed locally.
A 2-parter ran me just under $100 for 250.
My print shop has changed hands, however, and I was extremely dissatisfied with both the service and the quality.
I provided a floppy with the file saved in several formats and they still screwed it up.
The old owner was much more savvy.
As for invoices, I get em from Viking.
Have for years, nice little 2-part booklets of 50.
I think they are about $40 for 500.
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made mine with CorelDraw. [Cool]

Frank

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same as Frank here..

I lay out my own in CorelDraw and e-mail the file to the local printer, who also uses CorelDraw. No mistakes that way (unless they are mine to start with).

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8884 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, Make up your own complete with logo. Have them printed locally. (Minute Man Printers) I have mine made 2 up on one page. Then they cut the page in half. That way I get twice as many. I have them with a second page yellow that is carbonless. Padded and collated in about 50 ea. Real cheap. I number my own as needed. This way if you need a "Special" one, simply print one on your own printer with pictures on it.
For proposals / estimates I have a page in Corel, or any sign program, set up with all information and logo with border complete. Simply import a bitmaps or I often includ a similar type job picture. This is a very professional way to do estimates.
On my "Drawing" page, I have all the small print and terms printed and ready to go. When I design a job that is ready for the customer to see, I always have this "Page" around the entire job because they ALWAYS want a copy. This way its ready to print with ALL important information, contact numpers, address, copywight, etc.
Trust me. . . .this will stand up in court!
I have got my money from customers who try to bypass the designer.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Eric,
I started many years ago with the Business Forms Pak from Signcraft. From there you can recreate them in your favorite software and taylor them to your needs.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them printed on triplicate carbonless paper white and pink paper copies and a hardmanilla w.o. for the shop...they run me about$200.00 each time we run them and they act as a work order (hard copy) a file copy (pink copy) and an invoice that goes to the customer (white copy).

Post your fax# and I'll send you one!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the 50 sheets proposal forms at office depot if its an invoice I run marker thru proposal. Its a 2 part form. I know call me cheap but after in the past wasting money on nice invoices i id not see the point.

I figure if Im giving them an invoice the impression and the job has been completed...besides they always seem to lose invoices or simply did not get them anyway... [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Houser
Visitor
Member # 4461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Houser   Email Eric Houser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help!

Monte, my fax# is 804-276-8680.

Eric

--------------------
Eric Houser
Eric Houser Signs
Richmond, Va

Posts: 74 | From: Richmond, Va | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce, it may not be the waste of money you thought it was, unless you recieve payment on the spot for all your customers.

About 30% of my customers have terms.... schools, corporate, out of state sales for example, and research has shown that a professional looking invoice with color were paid faster on average than a plain home made invoice.

Personally, I prefer having a more professional look on all my forms.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5398 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
research has shown...are you kiddingme. dont come at me with research. research is nothing to me. real world is what matters. I go thru the same bs and problems now that I did with expensive invoicing.

what did they do, send lab rats invoices for tests?
this is not a flame on you dave, i am just sick to death of research!

and when it comes to pople paying bills I personally dont think they give a rats ass if your invoice is on notebook paper written in ink or typed professionally on rainbo brite 8.5 x 11....again no flame just my opinion, make a note of that [Smile]

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Invoices print out of my accounting software, estimates print out of Estimate.

I recently set-up my my own workorders in Corel. I've just been printing those out myself for now, few dozen at a time. That way I can use them for a bit to see if there is anything I can eliminate, change or add before I send them to the print shop.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave S..My situation is about reverse from you..30% of my clients are COD and 70% are on 30-60 days.

The only "stationary" of mine that is colour are the business cards. Those are things people keep.

Envelopes, stationary, invoices and estimate forms are all greyscale. Cheaper to have printed professionally and they all end up in a filing cabinet after being processed. (well, the envelopes go into the round filing cabinet immediately! LOL)

I use the triple carbonless system that Monte uses, but the third copy is not hard. Just an extra duplicate, in case I have to mail a second copy.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8884 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Estimate and it works great... You can even get a trial of it for like 9 bux for like 30 days..

www.pricingmadeeasy.com

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen Moser
Resident

Member # 6687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen Moser   Author's Homepage   Email Ellen Moser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We buy 2-part invoice booklets at Wal-Mart and rubber stamp them at the top with our info.

Price quotes/bids/proposals are signed sketches with copyright and date. The potential customer gets the original and we keep a copy.

Depending on the type of job, we require payment up front, all or half. Just about everyone pays the rest immediately, but we do have a couple of them that have to do the red tape thing and send the check in the mail.

Since we started asking for the money up front, no one has ripped us off. The real world here is generally, pay first and then we'll paint.

Ellen

--------------------
Ellen Margaret Moser
Ellen's Airbrush and Signs
El Dorado, Arkansas, USA
870-665-2355 http://www.CustomPaintedSigns.com
http://www.Facebook.com/EllensAirbrush

Posts: 93 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
purchase your carbonless paper and print your own when you need them,, no need to store them in mass quantities.. and you can change it anytime you wish.
I didnt have to throw away any pre printed forms after the storm,, saved me a bundle..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stefanie Fox
Visitor
Member # 6523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stefanie Fox   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Checkers said: started out with Bus. Forms Pack from Sign Craft; now designed my own with Illustrator.

Dave, I do appreciate your input on the "color" comment as to the invoices that get paid faster. Interesting, I would have never thought of that.

99% of my work is COD. I have never really had a problem with folks not paying. My idea of slow pay is 30 days, and I strongly discourage that. I have had only one guy order something and then he disappeard...I have always wondered if he died?

--------------------
Stefanie Fox
Fox Design Studio
Atlanta, GA

Posts: 181 | From: Atlanta GA, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Kearfott
Visitor
Member # 3756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Kearfott   Email Dan Kearfott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe that none of you guys use Quickbooks! I layed mine out with my design program and print them with the laser printer. your can make em whatever color you want that way plus it doesn't really cost that much to print em yourself. Quickbooks fills in all the rest of the stuff and keeps track of everything. It's way to easy. been using it for years! Almost all of my customers are on terms or they pay cash and don't care if they get an invoice anyway. In that case I just enter it into quickbooks and don't print it.

--------------------
Dan E. Kearfott
KEARFOTT GRAPHIX
312 W. 8th St.
Gibson City, IL 60936

Success comes in "Cans", Failure comes in "Cant's"

Posts: 121 | From: Gibson City, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Davie
Visitor
Member # 2172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Davie   Email Jason Davie       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe you guys don't use Estimate! You can even get a plugin for Quickbooks..

--------------------
Jason Davie
193 Front Street
Deposit, NY 13754

Posts: 976 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added a tip in another thread & thought I'd paste it here as well. It seems rather obvious now, but it took me many years to think of the advantages it offered, so I thought it may be useful to someone else too. It has to do with using Quickbooks for estimates, but speaks to one (or 2) drawbacks in quickbooks related to not being able to insert images among other things.

"When you want to email an estimate from quickbooks, you can save as a .pdf file, then you can email the client from your own email program, with the .pdf attached and any images inserted as well as any text. This way the correspondence will all be saved together in your "sent mail" folder. (sending a message with an estimate out of Quickbooks own email interface doesn't create any log of that message for you to refer back to) I used to have to send 2 different emails.. the drawing, & then the quickbooks estimate... & any text I added in the QBP email was lost from my records. I think emailing the drawing & pricing together in the same correspondence is far better from an efficiency standpoint as well as for a binding contract that I retain a complete copy of."

[ August 10, 2006, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops... pulling a WR here [Eek!]

[ August 10, 2006, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

[ August 10, 2006, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

(mixing up that "edit" icon with the "reply with quotes" icon again... & again, & again [Eek!] )

[ August 10, 2006, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric ...did you get your fax?

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, that is exactly how I do it...

I take my Quickbooks estimate, print it to a .pdf using a nice little utility called "CutePDF." It is free. It shows up in your printer list so you can make a PDF out of any program you can print from.

I also have a template in CorelDRAW for the design of the sign. I print it to a PDF also and email both of the documents as an attachment to the customer.

Couple of advantages: the PDF document is sized to an 8.5x11 that makes it easy for them to print. Also, like you said, I have a backup copy of the layout and estimate I can go back to in my email if I ever need it.

I use Gmail for doing this, so I have access to these documents from anywhere. If I stop in at their location and they say "We didn't get it" I can borrow a workstation, pull up my email, print it and hand it to them.

I used to carry a memory stick with me with projects I would want at home and work, etc. Now I just send up all that stuff to my Gmail account, type a few key words in the subject so I can search for it, and now can access it from anywhere. Works better than my FTP site also because it is searchable.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Good tip Jon!

I use remote desktop connection, and an ftp to program to transfer files to & from my web server, but I have a gmail account too so I may just look into that idea. "Searchable" is good, & access from any computer is a real plus!

--------------------
Doug Allan

Eric Houser
Visitor
Member # 4461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Houser   Email Eric Houser       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help everybody!

Monte, I got the fax. Thanks! It's got all the right stuff on it, so i'll use it to model mine.

Eric

--------------------
Eric Houser
Eric Houser Signs
Richmond, Va

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I didn't see it mentioned (might of missed it), I prefer that whatever program is used to create them, that they have the ability to use layers. I'll lock L-1 with all the pertinent info & type everything else on L-2. That way, you don't accidentally grab what you didn't want moved. Corel, is also, my preferred prog.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!