Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » how big is your malstick??? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: how big is your malstick???
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeze ...I wish I had gotten in on the fun earlier.

I actually have a 49" long (wooden) mahl stick with a cork ball on the end.

The reason for this size? When I was a young'n we did a lot of "chart" work that required running fine lines in both horizontal and verticle forrmat.

Horizontal lines were done by running a yardstick straight with the lip if the table and verticles with the mahl stick.

The length enabled you to do all the verticle strokes by holding your brush hand and running the lines the full length of it when you were working on a 48" lettering bench.

I take it with me to most all meets I go to... so many of the people here have seen it, asked about it and even teased me about "poking someone in the eye" with it.

I'd even venture to say I have the "biggest mahl stick" here. [Wink] I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading an old post on mahl sticks(a serious one), and couldn't help reading this silliness into it.

Some people wrap the end in leather, some people rub talc on theirs so their hand runs down it easier.

I applaud those who resisted the temptation to lower themselves to the depths this post has reached.

And I applaud those willing joke about it. After all, we're all human.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty, just don't bring out those butt-kickin' boots I've heard you talk about...hahahaha.

Kimmy, Karyn, Ricky...Cheers, this "BUDS" for you.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camille
Visitor
Member # 501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never used a mahlstick.
Is it hard?

--------------------
signs

Posts: 535 | From: pa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelsey Dum   Author's Homepage   Email Kelsey Dum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The malstick... or using it? Sorry, couldn't resist.

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Posts: 827 | From: Sherwood, AR | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These old things?

-

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelsey Dum
Visitor
Member # 6101

I see you bought them PRE-BROWNED...hehehe

--------------------
Kelsey Dum
Dum Designs
Sherwood, AR 72120
kelsey@dumdesigns.com

Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

And a size too small. So I'm always angry. Hehe.

--------------------
Industrious

jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to the Mall....Had my stick with me....
didn't need to buy one....!

one size fits all.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the biggest maul stick in Letterville, but I do have the biggest pouce bag. It comes with the job.

Some may notice that certain posts have been deleted. This may anger a few, or please you. That's something I can't control.

Sometimes we hit each other's buttons. There are times it is intentional and other times, it's just the way a reader perceives things. That includes me.

It's important to me we all have fun here, but there are some things that are unacceptable. Personal attacks are number #1. If you call another Letterhead a name or attempt to embaress them, I'm going to delete that post. If you are the third man or woman into the fight, your post is also out of here. Don't use Letterville to beat each other up. Take it outside.

It's a shame we have to actually have to write out rules. Many of us have known each other almost 30 years. We're not just a group of anonymous people hiding out behind our keyboards.

Feel free to email us if you disagree, but here's the standard website warning.

Letterville reserves the right to remove any post for any reason. Helen Waite is in charge of our Complaints Dept. If you have any issues, please go to Helen Waite.

Now give us a break. We're out here in Vancouver trying to relax and have a good time. Behave!

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Shortreed:
I don't have the biggest maul stick in Letterville,

Some may notice that certain posts have been deleted. This may anger a few, or please you. That's something I can't control.

Letterville reserves the right to remove any post for any reason. Helen Waite is in charge of our Complaints Dept. If you have any issues, please go to Helen Waite.

Hey Steve, Amen Brother!!! I love it! I like to see you exersizing your rights as moderater. Yes you DO have the biggest Mahlstick in Letterville, and it's nice to see you using your pounce bag too.
Have a great and safe trip!

behave? you can't expect ME to behave can you???

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psst is he gone? [Smile]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camille, the mahlstick has to be hard. If it's soft, it keeps flopping over & is just too much hassle to work with. And not everyone can use the same mahlstick, even if it's a good hard one, it's just a personal preference thing.

Walk softly & carry a big stick!!!

Steve, I too like seeing you take a more hands-on approach to moderating. Just don't be man-handling the mahlstick. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching! Always watching. [Smile] BTW Kissy. You'll notice I wear glasses. That's a direct result of too much hands on!

Where did all these mountains come from? We need a few of these back home in Ontario.

[ July 26, 2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimmy Fitzgerald
Visitor
Member # 5109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmy Fitzgerald   Email Kimmy Fitzgerald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve& Barb,

I hope you have a great time with your family. Make sure you get tons of pics from the little celebrations.

I will try to keep Ken out of trouble..However, I am learning I have no control over what he posts here too many people feed his flames......lol

Have A fun and SAFE trip...

[ July 26, 2006, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Kimmy Fitzgerald ]

--------------------
Kimberly Fitzgerald

Posts: 149 | From: Marblehead, Ma | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I've been out of town...

Kelsey...yes, that's the guy I've been accused of looking like....

Where did Yoda...er I mean Roger go? He must have vanished to a galaxy far far away....

Jon - good one! Hehehehe...but only in Yoda's dreams.

I keep hearing all the women talking about the need for a hard mahl stick.

Well, I did some research and discovered a mahl stick with the brand name "Wobbly Warhead."

It's hard on both ends and soft in the middle....and apparently wasn't popular as it didn't last long.

Any of you gals ever use one of those?

Being a mostly vinyl guy...I wrapped mine in Avery Reflective vinyl. But it got moldy when it got wet one day....Avery wouldn't warranty it.

Never use the wet method when applying Avery reflective vinyl to your mahl stick.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause]

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!