Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Anguish and consternation preceed the laughter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anguish and consternation preceed the laughter
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year Ron Percell gave me a piece of glass to gild. It was screen printed already so I just needed to gild it and add some color.

Yesterday I carefully cleaned it and got my size ready for water gilding. I flooded the surface with the size and all seemed fine, until I flooded it the second time. The size brush started picking up the screen printed image and depositing it in new places on the glass. Further down, unaided by the brush, other pieces of the image started sliding down the glass.

It was so horrifying. I just sat there in silence, and then started to laugh. I couldn't believe it. ARGHHH!!!

-

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What else can you say except for slippery size.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief...was that water size or did you accidentally get into some rapid remover. I can't imagine what they screened that with. I wouldn't be laughing, I'd be growling..... [Mad] [Frown]

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Repositional screenprinted letters...you may be on to something here!

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, I remember having something similar happen to me. I cleaned the glass, water sized and gilded, backed up, and went to lunch. After lunch I started to clean off the excess gold and letters moved. I couldn't believe it. I cleaned off everything and started over. Same thing happened, only the next day my size was crawling when I went to do a hot water wash. The problem for me was a fine film of grease from an air conditioner in the back of the restaurant.

Your situation sounds like the oils dried up in the ink. I think the oils not only bond, but repel the water size from penetrating under the black.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 5 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you guys explain all this to me, s-l-o-w-l-y? I'm not familiar with the steps for a project like this.

Was the screened lettering reverse or 'forward'? (Front side of glass or back)

Why was the area 'flooded'? Was a big area to be covered?

Was the size SUPPOSED to penetrate under the black?

Was the black solvent based, does it matter?

Thanks for any help [Big Grin]

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, the lettering was reversed, on the back side of the glass. The ink was solvent based - "backup black" I think. The gelatin size was not supposed to penetrate the ink or go under it.

I was gilding a fairly large area. I'm not the most experienced water gilder, but I've been told you should flood the size onto the glass in order to avoid streaks. It's just gelatin and distilled water. I wouldn't expect it to lift the letters. I'm wondering if it was a difference in humidity. Like Rick said, it may have dried up the ink. I'm also wondering if temperature could be a factor. The glass has been stored in a garage that was freezing all winter. Just for clarification, it was at room temperature before I attempted to do anything with it.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I take it the idea was to have black lettering and stripes 'on top of' gold panels, ribbons etc.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, gold looks best if outlined in black. It is frequently much easier to paint the outlines and shadows in black first, then apply the gild to these 'panelled' areas.

The alternate way is to gild, back up, clean the excess gold off, then outline in black. There are pros & cons for each way. Whatever black is used has to be a quick drying, very durable & dense black, almost always an enamel type.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing happened at Black Hills Gold Rush 6.... The ink mfg. had changed ownership, i believe, had the same labels, but different makeup.... oh well, we cleaned off lots of panels, re-screened with Dekor, all went well. Some opted to finish panels, without using watersize, o/shot size and paints were ok to use. Sure Freaked out Grizz, tho,as he was demo-ing the water size and leaf magic! lol.

john

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always heard that "California" might fall off someday, but I never thought it would be on a sign. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I'll never forget the look on Griz's face when that happened! Pure disbelief! [Rolling On The Floor]
It is good for the masses to see stuff like that and understand that even those who are knowlegeable run into road blocks - or letterslides. I had problems with an ink once too - it was recommended for printing on glass by the manufacturer, worked slick - couldn't scrape it off, and it didn't move when I painted 1 shot over it, but as soon as I ran water over it the ink slid right off the glass. The good thing was I was testing the ink before doing my project.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I know about glass guilding wouldn't fill a dixie cup, but I couldn't help but notice that the ink broke in a pattern diagonally. Just wondering if that leaves a clue as to what caused the problem.
Streaks from preparation?
Contaminated rag?
Greasy potato chip fingers?

Bueller?
Bueller?

Just curious...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, The piece of glass you got was printed as an "extra" in black only for anyone who did not get a piece gilded in time for the first back-up print.
It was not cleaned as good as the rest were because they were still "dirty" in the pile.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I got sloppy seconds? LOL. Well John, it's clean now - ready for something new. [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These panels were never meant to be water gilded, but rather just for oil based decoration.

The black had not been clear coated with a varnish to protect it from possible exspansion and contraction conditions occuring when using the water size.

As Rick said, the oils had dried out, leaving a pile of pigment on top of a thin film of paint.

John L., I'd be curious about several factors with the difficulties, was there hardener, over thinning, or as you said a change in formula.

John A. is also right, with the screens set up, it was a good time to also let some folks get some pull time in on the screens for practice.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!