Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What type of vinyl cutter is best for the money

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What type of vinyl cutter is best for the money
Dita Mallon
Resident

Member # 3196

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dita Mallon   Email Dita Mallon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking to get a 24" cutter. I'm finally going to update from a 15". The software I use for signage is Flexisign so I have to have a compatible cutter. I have looked at Lynx and a Desay. Does anyone have either of these and do you like it? Or would you recommend something else. I'm trying to keep the cost down but without jeopardizing quality.Right now I am using a Roland PC-50

--------------------
Dita Mallon
Dita's Graphics and Signs, Inc.
Sumner, Ia

Posts: 119 | From: Sumner, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graphtec 3000-60 is pretty nice. 24" format.

We have one in the shop we set up for some guys going into the e-biz striping graphics. (We got the programs all installed and made sure everything works for them. I was really impressed.

We have Gerber plotters, Gerber 4B still working after 18 years and the Gerber Odyssey 48" running flawlessly after 6-7 years.

Plotters are not rocket science. They all do the job.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graphtec

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've benn running a lynx for almost 4 years on daily work and have had great success with it

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dita Mallon
Resident

Member # 3196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dita Mallon   Email Dita Mallon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can get a lynx demo. What are some thoughts on that? It only comes with a 6mo. warranty.

--------------------
Dita Mallon
Sumner, Ia

Posts: 119 | From: Sumner, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get out of the bussiness if i had to buy any bird or cat named cutters..

They save you a fe bux,, but when you really need oen to perform you may regret it. There are posts all over the net on how ppl are looking for some kind of relief.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Ellis
Resident

Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Ellis   Email Dawn Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dita, If you use the 'search' function in the top right quadrant of this page for 'plotter' you'll find several discussions about this subject.

--------------------
Dawn Ellis
Signs by Dawn
Long Beach, CA
signsbydawn@aol.com

Trust yourself. Listen to the voice within. It is always right.

Posts: 456 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an Ioline Smartrak 24, Dita. It was not real expensive and does a good job. Got it from Grimco.

Only drawback is that if you do any hand lettering the pounce function is not good. If you're looking for pounce patterns, get a different plotter.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Doggett
Merchant

Member # 1409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Doggett   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Doggett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SummaCut D60, hands down.

Compare features, specs and then ask anyone that owns one. The tracking is dead-on, they're fast, capable of handling lots of different material, and supported like you won't believe.

Thanks,

Jim

--------------------
Jim Doggett
General Manager, USA
Yellotools, Ltd
www.yellotools.com

Posts: 500 | From: Sherman, TX USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he says.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like previously posted, I've had one for almost 4 years now. It has served me well. $500,000 in sales (yes 1/2 a million) with this cutter since we got it. The only thing we had to do is change blades whenit wasn't sharp anymore. We didn't get the factory stand with it, we built a custom one for it (our cost was $300, materiual welding & paint).

Something we have to remember with equipment and machine, it will only be has good as the person that tells it what to do!

As for the name of the machine, "Lynx", We renamed ours "old Betsy"!

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to consider that was never brought to my attention when I bought my first plotter is the size the plotter actually cuts.

I started with a used Ioline studio 7(24"), then I bought a new Ioline classic (24"). When it came time for another new one I went and looked a other top named brands. I realized then that there was a difference in “cut size”. The other 24” plotters only cut in a range of 22.5”-23.5”(they only cut what “fits” between the pinch wheels)

Because a Ioline doesn’t have to stay within the pinch wheels many of my jobs I cut at 23.8” to take full advantage of 24” vinyl. So my newest plotter is a 24” Ioline Smartrak which has a 30” throat and can actually cut up to 25”.

As with Ioline I think most brand name plotter companies stand behind their equipment and are all generally good cutters, but because I didn’t want to have to resize any repeat jobs from old files and the fact that it makes sense to be able to use all of the vinyl, I stayed with Ioline.

Jeff [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In ANY language, for good old fashioned vinyl cutting, great service, and warranty, it's Graphtec;

French: La-Graphtec
Spanish: El-Graphtec
Italian: Graphtec-o
Polish: Graphtec-ski
Japaneese: Most honorable Graphtec [Rolling On The Floor]

Now, if you are talking outdoor durable thermal prints, it's Gerber.

[Cool]

[ April 15, 2006, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howard Keiper

Member # 1250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howard Keiper   Author's Homepage   Email Howard Keiper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff raises a good point.
A 24" Graphtec can cut a 24" letter on 24" vinyl.

Rick...I'm glad you like your machine...I share that with you. [Smile]

hk

--------------------
Howard Keiper
Independent Contractor
Benicia, Ca.
thekeip@comcast.net

GraphtecUSA

Posts: 409 | From: Benicia, Ca., USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first plotter was a Lynx. The day it left the shop is one of the 2 happiest days of my life. Tracking was beyond horrible, trashed a ton of signgold due to the ****poor design of the sensors, finding the printer driver for it so I didn't have to use the worthless bridge program that came with it was painful.

Have a 24" roland now, thinking of bumping up to 30" graphtec. Well, actually I already decided to, just been putting off ponying up the dough. [Wink]

The 4b is tucked away "just in case", refuse to part with it and love my envision, except for that idle noise it makes when it wants to.

As far as I'm concerned, the big boys of plotters (roland, gerber, summa & graphtec) are the big boys because they earned it. They offer a quality product & actually offer tech-support when needed. They didn't get that way by offering substandard equipment with no support.

Denis, I'm glad you've had good luck, but you really are the exception. I know of 2 people who have experienced those plotters who didn't want to smash it with a sledgehammer. And I do know what I'm doing with a plotter.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dita Mallon
Resident

Member # 3196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dita Mallon   Email Dita Mallon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one has said anything about a Desay. Has anyone ever heard of it? Thanks everyone for your input. What do I do? What do I do? [Roll Eyes] Wonder if the Easter bunny will bring me something?

--------------------
Dita Mallon
Sumner, Ia

Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ever notice that Graphtec fans always mention how good the warranty service is?

Only way you'd know that is if the thing kept breaking and you had to keep having it repaired.
[Wink]

We've had a Gerber, two Rolands and some other thing I can't remember...and NOTHING is comparable to the two little Summa D60 plotters we've got now. Imagine the joy of sticking a new 50 yard roll of vinyl in the thing and sending a 140' cut job to it and going home. They will literally cut an entire roll of vinyl without getting off track. They're fast, they're quiet, they cut damn near anything. I like them, you will to.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Berry
Visitor
Member # 2604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Berry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You ever notice that Graphtec fans always mention how good the warranty service is?

Only way you'd know that is if the thing kept breaking and you had to keep having it repaired.

Sorry Pat, at least in my experience your 100% wrong. Graphtec fans stick together cause they DON'T need to be repaired!!

This is based upon my personal experience. We have a Graphtec CE1000-60 (24") the only thing we have purchased to keep it going strong is a couple of new blades.

--------------------
Mike Berry
New England

Posts: 534 | From: New England | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it is worth, I've only had 2 cutters both of them Rolands. The first one was a PNC1000 20" cutter and the only reason I bought the current CM24 was to be able to cut 24" vinyl.

Never have had to replace anything in either of em except blades and a couple of platen strips.

I don't do HUGE amounts of cutting, but between the two I have generated 15 years of income.

From people I have talked to and people who have asked for help, I have discovered that "off-brands" or "house brands" are generally a poor investment. They seem to be a lot of trouble for many people.

With my good experiences with Rolands, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. BUT if I were someone starting out, looking for a reliable, well supported cutter, I'd be looking at ANY brand name cutter, like Roland, Graphtec, Summa, Ioline Mimaki. NOT some generic knock-off.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8877 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Childs
Visitor
Member # 6490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Childs   Email Steve Childs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I agree. I've owned a Roland 24" for at at least 10 years. It has been a remarkable buy, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't normally have to do cuts longer than an 10', but when I've had to, I'm totally satisfied.

The only problem is having to upgrade the software as I upgrade my computers. Most software upgrades are reasonable, but the software that Roland sells is not. Last time it was $600 just for an upgrade from a Mac G3 to a Mac G4. Had to do with USB connections.

But, overall, my original 3 grand for the cutter was the best investment in my life.

And speaking of Gerbers, Dave, do you remember the old ones that seemed to cut about as fast as a snail crawls? Just kidding. But I do. They were revolutionary at the time, but how times have changed.

--------------------
Steve Childs
Omaha, NE

Posts: 28 | From: Omaha, Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion. Looking at a $800 bucks new cutter is like having a heart attack.. The feeling of despair and regret lingers long after the thrill of a bargain.

Get off the desay's, birds or cats or masters cutters. You will regret it if you do get one. Get a name brand machine. Then if you ever decide to sell it and dosometing else. One of us here will purchase it. Get a cheap one and you will use it for a boat anchor because not many will give you anything for it.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 14 years we have owned two Summas, a D610 and the last few years a Summa Pro (tangential series).
Not once was there a problem.

I probably could have kept the 610, nothing wrong, just felt the time to upgrade. Flawless.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dita Mallon
Resident

Member # 3196

I see things much better after I sleep on it. Off brand no good. Save a little more money and get a good one. So who has a used 24" Roland for sale. I will say I have never had a any problems with my 18" Roland. That old Easter bunny didn't bring me nothin', no cutter, no money, nothin' [Razz]

--------------------
Dita Mallon
Sumner, Ia

Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Lynx and also a Panther from Vinyl Express.
The Lynx is slow but dependable. The Panther is a joy.
I had an Anagraph that was touted as a wonderful machine on this forum. It turned out to be a piece of junk.
(I will ship it to anyone interested for $100 plus actual shipping costs. Stand included)
I am very happy with Sign Warehouse service.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take it off your hands Jerry. [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ,
e-mail me and it it's yours

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe one of the most important things you might have mentioned when asking what people recoomend is what you intend to do with this new cutter? do you plan to cut cast vinyl, calendared vinyl, sandblast mask, reflective vinyl.....

Some of the cutters are better suited for the thicker materials and just because it costs $200 more you might consider spending the extra bucks if you intend to cut reflective or sandblast mask. Or if you intend to do alot of pounce patterns you might want to look at a machine that actually does the pouncing work for you rather than just a pen plotter.

My recommendation is always a Graphtec, but thats because I'm very happy with mine and their guy on the web has a great set of initials. I never had a warranty repair with mine but I did have a technical question once which was answered pretty quick and saved me alot of wasted vinyl, making things work late on a friday afternoon.

Also to be considered is do you want traction feed or sprocket feed? traction feed allows you to use up your scraps for smaller jobs, while the sprocket fed machines have a very hard time re-using vinyl with no sprocket holes in it. This has always allowed me to use scrap materials to make sample miniatures for the customer to view, and has given me the opportunity to make numbers for drawers and other stuff out of what would have been thrown in the trash otherwise. I made many a friend happy this way.(yeah maybe its give aways, but hey I got plenty in return too)

Bottom line, dont buy cheap because you get what you pay for...

[ April 16, 2006, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Harris Kohen ]

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've decided to make my own...

Couple of pulleys, spair set of bycicle peddles, large rubber band and an old steak-knife.

Can't be that hard to put one together. [Razz]

Actually, I own a Summa D750 and it has proven to be a good machine, however, the user interface/control panel is HORRIBLE....but I understand they've redesigned that....and it's pretty nice now.

But as far as the quality and dependability goes - the Summa is top-o-the-line.

And Jim D. isn't kidding about the support - - top notch and friendly.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Childs
Visitor
Member # 6490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Childs   Email Steve Childs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Harris, about the traction feed. Using up that thin old roll is great. You just have to know your machine well enough to line it up right so it doesn't run off track. Once you have that down, it allows the use of what would be throw-away.

--------------------
Steve Childs
Omaha, NE

Posts: 28 | From: Omaha, Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dita Mallon
Resident

Member # 3196

Well with all the info everyone has given me I'm going to wait and save up the extra money and get a name brand machine, just not sure which one yet. Thanks to all who gave their imput much appreciated. [Applause]

--------------------
Dita Mallon
Sumner, Ia

Mark La May
Visitor
Member # 1644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark La May   Author's Homepage   Email Mark La May       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dita,
I have been running a LYNX for about 6 years & I am very happy with it.
Like any machine if you don't treat it nice it can bite you.
If you are running a thicker material or lettering under 1/4 inch you need to run it slower. A dull blade will muck up your day as well.
Work on them at Sign Warehouse, you could get a better price.

--------------------
Mark La May
H.B.W.T. Signs & Silk Screening
N9205 US Highway 141
Crivitz, WI 54114

Posts: 28 | From: Crivitz, WI. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dita Mallon
Resident

Member # 3196

Thanks Mark

--------------------
Dita Mallon
Sumner, Ia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!