Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Clarification/Advice needed on applying vinyl to Plexiglass

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clarification/Advice needed on applying vinyl to Plexiglass
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi -

Talked to my supplier about getting plexiglass to apply Soljet prints onto.

He said that it is virtually impossible to laminate vinyl to plexiglass without air bubbles.

He tried this once himself, he explained, using every method and grade of vinyl - Rapid tac and all similar wet methods/products, dry installs, all types of calendared and cast vinyls.....with no luck.

This plexi will be backlit....and the size of the pieces will be 15" X 25".

Thickness needs to be 1/8".

Any experience with applying vinyl to plexi? Can it be done bubble free? If so, what is your technique?

Any better, alternative materials you might suggest that can be backlit and would be transluscent?

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you lay it down wet, you shouldn't have a problem.

I use Rapid tac, and do it all the time with Edge prints, and recently with Versacamm prints.

One problem with plexi is the amount of static it holds. Wetting it solves this for the most part.

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its very hard to lay down without bubbles,, but it can be done..

I've done it more than a few times. It works easiest with a laminator machine.. By hand it is much harder but use a load of RT. Work from the middle out.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with the others. It is possible. I have done it wet from the center out on big stuff and used my QuickMount for small stuff.

I give the material a shot of Static Guard before application. It really helps to keep the static to a minimum.

Good luck!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce - what is "static guard" and where can I get it?

Thanks for the advice guys....I never would have imagined plexi would be a problem till my supplier warned of his experience.

Would white plexi be the best alternative as a material?

The "sign" will go in drive-in menu speaker/frames at an old A&W restaurant...there will be one on each side of the frame, and they are backlit from bulbs in the center.

There is a glass panel in front of each "menu sign".

You know, these are the menu board that you drive up to and park - and then hit the speaker button on the menu sign to place your order...and they bring the food out to your car.

American Graphitti baby! Yeahhh! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what I do is let the plexis breathe for a day
this helps to eliminate outgasing.

then flod the plexis and the print apply and squeege from center out.

g'luck!

[ March 28, 2006, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Elaine Beauchemin ]

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, check out your favorite discount store for "Static Guard".. any place has it - grocery stores, kmart, target, wal mart, etc. It's in the laundry isle in a spray can, good for spraying on clothing, carpeting and other fabrics, even around electronics.

As far as vinyl on plexi - dude if it were impossible there would not be a single plexi sign on this planet not riddled with air bubbles - and I know I've seen, and made, lots of these signs without a single bubble. Let's think about this for a second, then fire your supplier for giving out misinformation. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the day when I hand lettered bug deflectors the best thing I found to remove static was everyday rubbing alcohol.

I would wipe down the back side and even leave it a little wet.

It worked good for race car front and tail ends too.

I still use it to wipe down anything plastic I have to letter.

This might help eliminate the air bubbles.

Jeff [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rapid Tac not TacII, a generous amount and no cleaning with anything but the Rapid Tac.

We have applied practically everything to plex,lex,etc., its NOT impossible to apply to these substrates with Rapid Tac, your just hearing it from someone that didn't learn the method properly, unfortunatly a number of suppliers and manufacturers fit that catagory.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Graham
Visitor
Member # 1167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Graham   Email Robert Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Rapid Tac only and not Rapid II? Just curious.

--------------------
Robert Graham
Grahamsville Signs
1120 E McReavy Road
Union, Washington 98592
360-898-2260
Fax 360-898-2262
e-mail:gvs@hctc.com

Posts: 135 | From: Union,Washington - USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rapid Tac II is a lot more agressive then Rapid Tac, on plex you want as much positioning time as possible(minute or two)because of the need to squeegee out the air.

Good Question!

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Todd,
That's why your sign supplier is not a sign maker [Smile]
If you have a laminator, it's definitely the way to go.
If not, follow Rogers suggestion and don't skimp on the fluid. Flood the surface of the acrylic and apply the vinyl. Depending on the size of the panel, you may want to have an extra set of hands to position the graphic.
If there are small bubbles of fluid trapped after you squeegee and remove the transfer tape, you can use the vinyl liner as a slip sheet to squeegee the bubbles out.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Elaine says, let it breathe. Remove the paper covering for a minimum of one whole day before applying vinyl, longer is better. You'll notice a smell, which is the plexi gassing off. before applying place the sheet on some damp paper towels to help dissapate and prevent static buildup. Then flood it with rapid tac and have fun.

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Hey, thanks a ton guys and gals....I appreciate all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes....lots of solution.... [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and use the white because it will diffuse the light better than clear will.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We print backlit graphics on clear vinyl then lay them down on white acrylic . We use plenty of Rapid Tac and never even considered it a problem. Always came out good. We've done faces up to 4'x10' with no bubbles.

BTW, get a new salesman.

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie Pascuzzi
Resident

Member # 1373

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie Pascuzzi   Author's Homepage   Email Louie Pascuzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOPS! Double post.

[ March 29, 2006, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Louie Pascuzzi ]

--------------------
Lou Pascuzzi
www.economysigns.com
Fine Hand Lettering since 1973
Danbury, Ct
203-748-4580
"IOAFS"

Posts: 341 | From: Danbury, Ct | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Thanks guys - - - white plexi it will be! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!