Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Will all of our Aussie friends please check in?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will all of our Aussie friends please check in?
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I KNOW that Austrailia is a HUGE place but I've just heard about a huge terrible cyclone that has slammed into Queensland. Touch base with us and let us know that you are all okay...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/19/international/i164907S43.DTL

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Stokes
Visitor
Member # 5351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Stokes   Email Mark Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am down south of australia no where near the cyclone. Maybe bushie and Ian can give us an update as they are in the state of queensland

--------------------
Mark Stokes
Mark Stokes Signs
Mount Barker South Australia

Posts: 388 | From: Mount Barker | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Jordan
Deceased

Member # 2368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Jordan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Kimberly,

Thanks for your thoughts but here in Sydney it was a beautiful Autumn day, about 76F. As a matter of fact I was in the City picking up my itinerary and tickets for the forthcoming three Letterhead Meets.

John

--------------------
Aussie John
Caringbah, N.S.W. Australia

man makes a thing of beauty of that which he loves

Posts: 148 | From: Caringbah, N.S.W. Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watching on the 6 o'clock news.

Category 5 cyclone hit northern Queensland coast with winds up to 300 kph around the Cairns/Innisfail area. Worst storm in 75 years. Widespread devestation, 50% of Innisfail flattened, but fortunately the tide was out so storm surge was not bad. No deaths.

90% of Australia's tropical fruit crops gone. Vast areas of sugar cane too.

This area is well north of Ian, Sarge, Bloke and myself in South East Queensland. We are about 2 days drive away. Here we only have had strong winds. Only had to cancel some outside jobs.

There are some Oz Heads in that area but no news yet of their plight.

Another cyclone is out in the Coral Sea and appears to be headed the same way!

Say a few prayers for our friends up there.

Edited to note:

Tropical Cyclones are the equivalent of your hurricanes and rated on the same scale. Cat5 is nasty!

Queensland is BIG ... 5 times the size of Texas, but most of the population lives on the coast and most of those in the South Eastern Corner.

[ March 20, 2006, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well John, I am a bit closer than you and there has been no wind or rain on the Sunshine Coast. We have had a very warm, and comfortable day so I can't understand where the wind came from up there on the Downs.

--------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesigns@bigpond.com
Downunder
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ax and Pete Bedgoode (sp? sorry Pete) are the only folks I know through here that are up that way.
I spoke to a couple I know outside Cairns tonight (in an area noted for Au's highest rainfall) and they reckon that for them it passed fairly quickly which means that although the wind speeds were high, it was all over in short order.
Innisfail looks like it copped a hiding though, I can't get through to a mate of mine that is a refrig mechanic up there

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a mess on the news tonight- but all about 1800 km north of here.
Bernie with the BSA motorbike is from Innisfail where the worst of it was supposed to be. I always seem to forget his surname until I admit I forgot it, then I remember- it's Morrison or Morrissey.

We're still in dire drought here and would dearly love some of that water being rained down up there.

Hope Pete & Suze are OK, and also John the fantastic mural painter from Townsville.

edited to add we've had amazing winds today- from the east, with a strength & consistency I've not seen before in the 15 years we've been here. They've brought the windmills back to life, which is nice!

[ March 20, 2006, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarge
Deceased

Member # 1022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarge   Email sarge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
Sarge here... like Jon said we are waaaaaay south of the storm, his answer covers it all, no weather problems here....
thanks for asking Kimberly

[ March 20, 2006, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: sarge ]

--------------------
John "sarge" Serjeant
Executive Director of
"Hardly Normal Signs"
sarge.signs@bigpond.com
3 Balyando Drive
Nerang
Queensland 4211
Australia
61 07 5578 2495

Posts: 255 | From: Nerang, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the news and Kim beat me to it...glad you all are checking in...what a relief...How about Gail and Devo?

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are Gail and Dave?
I sure miss them participating here.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we've been watching the news round the clock.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gail & Devo are in Harvey Bay are 4 hours drive north of us. Still over 1500km south of the damage zone.

Even Philip John in Townsville won't be getting much more than winds and rain.

You got wind too Ian? Dave must live in a hollow or something. 30-40 knot gusts here. Far too strong to go erecting 30' x 10' banners. Otherwise you might see the headlines: "Son and daughter last seen sailing past Ayers rock" [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail & Dave Beattie
Visitor
Member # 572

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gail & Dave Beattie   Author's Homepage   Email Gail & Dave Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
g'day everyone

Cairns is the same distance (flight time) from my place as NZ is from Oz... 2hrs 20mins,
the centre of Hurricane Larry was about an hour south of Cairns.

So for us it was pretty much watch it on TV and check the Sat pics to see how our friends were doing up there.

We are getting some winds and just had just a few showers yesterday with not much more than that.

But of course once the storm hits land it lessens in force dramaticaly, thank heavens, especially for the folk in it's path.

I remember the fella that won the airbrushed fridge at Bedge's meeting in Cairns came from the area most damaged... I hope he is ok [Frown]

It's was all good for us actually because the pr**k that owns the land behind us
(can you tell I don't like him much?)
did a heap of burning off last weekend and so we had ash and smoke everywhere

We actually had to leave the house on Saturday once the wind changed, because we couldn't breath without it burning, and our eyes were stinging so badly. But in comparison to the folk up north... we can't complain

The rain has helped a lot with the smoke and so has the wind... blown it all off shore, which again for us is great

The next hurricane is just a little further south,
it will be interesting to see where it lands... they tell me that it will be hitting Fraser Is tomorrow sometime

-

so the short answer is that yes we are all fine for the time being, thanks for asking
[Smile]

cheers
gail

--------------------
Gail & Dave
Hervey Bay
Qld Australia

gail@roadwarriorproducts.com.au

sumtimes ya just gota!

Posts: 794 | From: 552 O'Regans Creek Rd Toogoom Qld 4655 Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!