Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need to remove paint off of a Pan Face

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to remove paint off of a Pan Face
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Stowe   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Stowe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello...
A customer brought in 2 pan faces that have been top coated with paint to cover up the existing graphics.

Is there any easy way to remove the paint from the face of the sign without damaging the surface?

I do not know if it is latex or oil based - If I remove some of the lettering - the paint crumbles & turns to dust, but it does not seem to want to budge off of the surface of the pan face.

Tried a heat gun & it does not seem to help at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Posts: 208 | From: Mishawaka, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am about to save you alot of trouble and heartache. tell them its new pans or nothing, do not waste 1 minute more thinking you can get this off.

and if you CAN get it off what may be the conditio up under the paint, it just aint worth it

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Bruce! You'll have more cost in labor removing the old paint than in new faces. Then......if you do get the paint off, the chances of "ghosts" showing up when you turn the sign on just isn't worth it.
Listen to Bruce!!!!!!!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it is a latex paint on those faces. You cannopt peel or scvrape it off! They are now junk! Anything that will dissolve the paint will also dissolve the faces.

Listen to what the previous guys said and start with new.... or pass on it!

[ February 10, 2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used some denatured alcohol to remove paint from pans some years back with the help of this board. It was messy and really not worth it in the long run.
One nice thing though, if you're good with a high speed sander, strip it and sand with 800 or 1000 for a nice repaintable eggshell finish.
It is work though!

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto with the others. If the paint does come off, it's a big, unholy mess, and the faces will not look like new at all.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEw pan faces can be had for a lot less than you think ,, And a pan face supplier will help you with the faces all you want.. They can plot out the clearances, redius, and all other details. All you have to give them is the dimensions of the can..

Then have a graphic ready for them and they will do that part too at a much less cost than if you do it yourself..

REuse a pan face,, for me,,, not on your life..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, 6 votes for new faces.
Make that 7.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New faces equals a happy ending. Tell the customer you're looking out for his investment and you're a professional like them. Nothing else is acceptable. I've removed once, only; never again.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten is nice even number, eh?

I vote for the new pans.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
new
or nuttin

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save your health. New faces

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Stowe
Visitor
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Stowe   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Stowe       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone just confirmed what I already thought.

New faces or nothing. I just promised the customer that I would check to see if there was any miracle product to take off the paint.

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Mike Stowe
Signs Unlimited
Mishawaka, IN
info@pwcgraphics.com

Posts: 208 | From: Mishawaka, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've cleaned many. It usually involves a combination of every chemical known to man and discovering the correct sequence and duration of exposure. Sometimes you get them stripped and make the plastic so brittle that it's lifespan ends with a brisk wind on a cold day. Alcohol, brake fluid, saran wrap and a fan would be the place to start. Then comes the laquer thinner and possibly acetone. Plan spending hours doing this. It usually comes out about the same as buying new pieces only has the risk of not working and the purchase happens anyway. Just make it your new career.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14 votes for new. Will be a constant touch up nightmare for you.

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

In some rare instances where cleaning is feasible or necessary, denatured alcohol alone works for the inside only, and that on the grip-flex best. Nothing but nothing will remove latex from the front of plex AND leave the plex or lex pristeen. Laquer thinner and such strong solvents melt the material. Mineral spirits fogs it.

And Mike, if you're dealin' with extremely tight-fisted customers, and they do not want a lighted sign, the ONLY exception to using these panels MIGHT be to paint over the existing paint and put the new lettering on.

But how tacky.

And such work creates another 'exception which is: being known as a dirt-cheap-tacky-sign guy . . .

My word, but I'm inspired to create another thread . . .

Anyway, if these people want a lit sign, you must replace with beautiful new faces. [Wink]

By the way, how do you fell about these replies so far?? Are you still with us??

Earth-to-Mike:

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Run Mike run!!!!

New faces!! New sign!! NO SIGN,
Ish, ewwwwww!!!

Ask them... "really? seriously?... is there a camera in your hairpiece?"

or... do what we all really want to do...HAHA:rofl: ....HAHA, (slap knee sharply)HEEEHeeEE..HOOO..:rofl(do the "Home Alone scream) WAAAHHAHA...(ask them if their mom had any kids that lived)..HHHAAAAWWHHHOOOOHHHAAAEEEEYYYAAAY :rofl(WARNING...it could offend a bit though) then catch your breath & protect yourself!

One more option if you're still reading...

Paint over the fronts & it's now a non-lit sign...? ISH!! (I just re-tasted my lunch a teeny bit).

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!