Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Hand cutting vinyl, anybody else do it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand cutting vinyl, anybody else do it?
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a job come up a few days ago. A body shop called and needed some lettering done on a van they repaired. Since I was gonne be in the area and since I've turned into a sign/striping whore, I said sure. I checked out the job, a late model Ford van with the two swing open doors on the right side. The lettering pretty well covered the side of the van. The repair was on the quarter. The two doors still had lettering on them. I needed to match three letterstyles. Rather than go buy a throw away camera, get film developed, hunt half a day on the internet figuring the correct fonts ( they had to be exact to flow into the lettering still on the van) then trying to find a source for three fonts ( non of which I had by the way ) I decided I'd hand cut the lettering. I rounded up a little masking paper and was fortunate it was really translucent and I could see right through it without wetting it, traced the lettering, went home , made a pattern , grabbed some black and some white vinyl and proceded to hand cut the letters. Sure , it took longer than if the plotter did it but total time on tracing/perferating and cutting took about and hour. I figure I would have wasted more than that on the great font hunt.

Aggravation, who needs it [Smile]

I charged 'em $225

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember working in a signshop where we used to cut vinyl by hand on occasion, but more so we would handcut stencils for screenprinting. There was one guy that worked there who really had "touch". I always was a little heavy-handed and would sometimes cut right through not only the stencil, but the backing paper as well. From time to time I maybe miss a "bullet" (the other day) or something else when weeding or tear up a letter on install and would just go to some scrap vinyl in my truck and proceed to plot by hand.
For those screenprint stencils we would always use fonts that lent themselves to handcutting such as "stovepipe" styles that were boxy. I did learn that a good quality swivel knife and using my middle finger as opposed to index finger gave me a lighter touch.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTDT! Been there, done that! Still do.

We always carry a bit of each color vinyl with us on an install. Saves returning to the shop just to replace one letter stuffed up etc.

Application tape makes a good trancing paper. Trace the letter onto it. Stick the app tape down on the scrap vinyl and knife it out. Ready to apply.

Mind you, BC (before computers) we used to hand cut all our vinyl. Even when the B4's came in we had to hand cut logos etc.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Bohrer
Visitor
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Bohrer   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Bohrer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I do somthing like that on site I take butcher
paper and tape over the existing logo and do a rubbing with a pencil or hard charcoal. Tape the paper to your vinyl and cut throught the pattern and into the vinyl for an exact match. Before the days of computer cut vinyl 25 years ago we would hand cut
vinyl alot by projecting our the customers logo on 3M vinyl and cut with an exacto knife. Back then you could buy vinyl lettering in a limited number of fonts from 3M. They would never let you in the plant though it was a big secret process. How things have changed.
The Colonel

--------------------
Silver Creek Signworks
Dick Bohrer
Two Harbors, MN

Posts: 236 | From: Two Harbors, MN USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great way to do that George.
I would hate the alternative!

Once, I was asked to letter a bunch of peg board at a motorcycle dealer. I ended up cutting all of the letters out of posterboard by hand & applying them instead.

Cheers

--------------------
Rob Thomas
3410 Ketcham Ct
Beautiful Springs FL 34134

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saral (red or white) make excellent quick transfers, when needed fast.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned the trade from 1979 to 1982, which fell right in between the death of handlettering (sorry, I know it's not actually dead) and the birth of vinyl cutters, Very unfortunate in many ways, but the one thing I learned like no other was handcutting. We used a real scalpel, it worked great for us, and we cut tons of screen printing stencils and vinyl. The other apprentice and I were always in a contest to see who can cut faster and we'd criticize each other's work mercilessly until it was near perfect. When we had a larger quantity of the same lettering to do, we'd print it onto white vinyl and then cut it out. This way you don't have to trace every time and you can match whatever colour you want.
The skills come in handy all the time, I'm only sorry they didn't teach me more handlettering along with the vinyl cutting.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little off the subject here, but I recently bought a little gadget that came with soldering tips, wood burning tips and scalpel type blades.
I love my litle hot blade for cutting sandblast mask. You hardly need any pressure and as long as you aren't on a meltable surface (I use mine mainly on glass) you don't marr the substrate.
I can really whip along now.

I often end up hand cutting vinyl, especially reflective as my plotter likes to chew on a letter every so often. Hmmm - I wonder how my hot knife would work there.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi George,
I cut by hand once in a while also. Sometimes for a simple logo I copy it on my copier scaled up to the size I need tape it to the vinyl with masking tape and cut away.
Quicker than scanning and screwing around with all that nonsense.

--------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, when I have to.
Helps a lot to be able to hand-letter in a situation like this.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Costa
Resident

Member # 3366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Costa   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Costa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished a small job that had to be hand cut. Graphic flame design on an international tractor. Had to replace the hood side and door. Faster to take a rubbing with green masking paper and cut thru stencil and vinyl. The only problem was matching the color. I'll keep that roll in stock since the trucking company has 15 trucks with the same design. Took a few pics though, and may digitize the design since this is the second truck I've repaired for them.

--------------------
Ron Costa Sign and Design
28 Ingerson Road
Jefferson, NH 0358

Posts: 620 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya George,
If I could use a brush as well as I could an exacto, I wouldn't need a plotter [Smile]
I took a big step backwards after 2 years in this business and went from a modern franchise with all the "cool" tools to work for a traditional sign maker.
He had a sprint, but a lot of his work was done with a brush and hand cutting of vinyl. It was one of the best things I could have done.
When I started there, hand cutting vinyl logos was the norm. I couldn't even guess at the number I've done over the years. Just that experience alone has taught me so much about traditional sign making - not that I would want to do it that way again.
Just last week I was in a similar situation where hand cutting was a lot quicker and easier than a plotter. Also, for 1 or 2 letters, I use a trick Dave Draper mentioned a while ago. Just place some transfer tape over a duplicate letter and make a rubbing. From there, peel the tape and apply it to the new vinyl and cut it. It may not be a perfect solution, but it's quick and can get you out of a bind [Smile]

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to do it that way exclusively. As a matter of fact I was better with a knife than a brush (still am).

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Mathel
Visitor
Member # 526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Mathel   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Mathel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the 50's, when I was still pretty new in the trade, a #11 X-Acto was a tool we used a lot. We Hand cut a LOT of vinyl back then. About all that was available in those days was 3-M Scotchcal, but it worked quite well. The shop I worked for had several beer distrubutors, a couple of dairys and a bakery for accounts. We hand cut BIG letters on those trucks, as well as a lot of hand cut spray mask. We didn't think it was any big deal at the time. In fact it was usually easier than the hand cut silk screen stencils we cut on a daily basis.

--------------------
Jerry Mathel
Retired
Grants Pass, Oregon
signs@grantspass.com

Posts: 916 | From: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George - I hear ya - sometimes in cases like yours I do a rubbing - any paper will usually work in a pinch along with a pencil stub - but alas Dick Bohrer beat me to it above - I also try to remember to carry my digital camera - much more efficient than film cameras -
I would hate to have to guess the number of signs I hand cut before I bought a plotter - used to enlarge paper patterns on copy machine - rubber cement to blank vinyl - then hand cut - yea them wuz them good 'ol days . . . .NOT ! ....

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done it a few times in the past years and found that I had to brighten their lettering since they were older and duller than the new letter /repair.
sheesh I keep thinking I need a cutter!

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until just over a year ago, I did'nt have a plotter for over 15 years.

I was ordering vinyl ready cut, but the company had a $120 set-up charge just for 'simple logos'. I only took them up on it once when I had 40 home health cars to do. Never found out what they charged for 'detailed' stuff.

Other than that one qty. job, on every job I wanted to use vinyl, I ordered raw material by the runnin' foot, projected a pattern and hand-cut. For these I don't pounce, but use black or white carbon paper.

Even with a plotter now, I still do the same thing because as you said George, by the time you draw the thing up in the program and tweak and 'fix it', you could had it patterned, cut masked and applied, altho' I do draw-up plain ones in the plotter.

Wish I could post pics so I could you some recent jobs. I'll figger it out soon.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Biggs
Resident

Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Biggs   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to do boats back in the 70's with
a gold mylar that 3m put out, hand cut all that stuff, applied it and then outlined and shaded
I made paper patterns and pounced with talc on the gold.
Bill

--------------------
Bill & Barbara Biggs
Art's Sign Service, Inc.
Clute, Texas, USA
Home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival
Proud 10 year Supporter of the Letterheads Website
www.artssigns.com
"MrBill-" on the chat page
MailTo:biggsbb@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1020 | From: Lake Jackson,Tx | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of watching Mack Thompson of Ft. Smith, Arkansas, cut out four sets of vinyl lettering all at once. He would cut through four layers of tightly taped-down Scotchcal, then carefully lift each set with a piece of "sticky-back" paper. Of course, the backing paper had to be removed letter by letter on each reading, but he still saved time.
I also watched him hand cut hundreds of letters 5/8" tall, reversed, for back-lit menus for Western Sizzlin Steakhouse. It took him three days to do a complete menu. My fingers hurt thinking about it.

One of his secrets was a knife blade that looked like a number eleven, but wasn't. It was beefier at the tip and didn't lose its point like an eleven. It might have been called a #21. I don't remember exactly, but it was an Xacto, and it cost twice as much as the elevens. I wonder if it's still available?

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!