Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Xacto blade "case"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xacto blade "case"?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. Is there a case or something that will protect the blades from banging into each other & breaking the tips off?

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top part of any shoe, aside from steel-toe boots, usually provides ample protection for the prevention of blade breakage . . . preferable only when one's foot is not inside the shoe . . .

Other than that, you can buy these things kids use: pencil grips - in the stationary sections of most any store. . . . they work perty good. [Wink]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cigar used to come in plastic tubes years ago. I don't know if they still do, but those tubes would probably work.

Years ago I bought an Xtro case with different size handles. It had a slot for the three sizes with blades in them.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coop
Visitor
Member # 504

Icon 14 posted      Profile for coop   Email coop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monte Jumper taught me this one. Get one of those rubber "coin purses". Banks used to give them out.

Werks fer me (& Monte), it'll werk fer you!

--------------------
David Cooper,
The Sign Shack
Enid, OK.

Posts: 658 | From: Enid,Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get these at Staples. Several different blade sizes available. On the right is a blade dispenser, spring-loaded. It's a pain, but you can reload it. On left is a slot to put used blades in.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=13419&cmArea=SEARCH

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Sheila. I vividly (well ok, sort of vividly) remember the Parsons cartoon in SignCraft, "Bob saves another Stabillo." Shows a guy in sneakers blocking the fall of a #11 Exacto knife, point down of course. That one and "Who made this mockery of our standard? Helveticus." are classics.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had, as long as I can remember, had cartridge type cases for my exacto blades.

I think you can buy the blades in them. They can also be reloaded with loose blades.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeh . . .meant to add . . . sometimes you can find the 3-sided pencil grips (triangular shaped) so this kind is better 'cause it also prevents the round handle from rollin' around. [Wink]

Sometimes you buy extra blades packages and handles from places that don't provide the little clear plastic covers, or they get lost easy 'cause they are small and clear. . .the pencil-grips are larger, rubbery, and come in bright colours.

Anyway, just slide the pencil-grip up to the handle when in use, and slide it down over the blade when done. Also good for preventing cleanly sliced, or stabbed fingers when diggin' around in stuff hunting the 'zacto blade . . .

Can also prevent the blade from peircing the thigh or buttocks when leaning against the table.

Bright colours also useful for locating the elusive 'rolling' exacto blades since it's been proven time and again how they like to disappear for days on end . . . ony to jump up and stab an unsuspecting person, as if to say, 'HERE I AM!' . . .

Ya don't have to ax me how I know all this . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't you use two pieces of leftover mag sheet and sandwich a few of them in between those? They wouldn't roll around. Or do like Pat King did with his brushes and stick them floral clay. It is kinda sticky though and I don't know if that might corrode them. But it's worth trying with one to see what happens.
Just a few ideas....

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Right Ricky! One of my fav's. That one & the "Madam something's Auto Body Experience"!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy 10 packs of blades and they will come in their own plastic case that also has space for discarding used blades.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use styrofoam scraps.

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SILLY PUTTY!!!

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also take the blade out of the holder and insert it point first back into the holder when not in use. It will save the tip.

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

"We are limited only by our perception of our abilities."

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What also works well is the little hockey puck looking case that the rolls of electrical tape come in. One for new, one for old.

To keep the knife from rolling to the floor you can use a piece of scrap vinyl, wrap around end of knife like tape. Put a little seam/flap on one side. Works like a champ.

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
LetterWorks Design and Graphics
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!