Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » oooooooohhhhhhhh..... inspiration for my ultralight rocket streetrod

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oooooooohhhhhhhh..... inspiration for my ultralight rocket streetrod
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this car.. I was giggling through the whole video just watching it, just think if I actually had one of these!

Check out the driver's face just WARP when he mashes the pedal to the floor!

http://www.ariel.us.com/04/topgear.htm

Here's the company's website: http://www.arielatom.com

WHEW!!

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought you were talking speed like the new Bugatti Veyron 16.4

They say the only thing faster is a jet plane, the Veyrons top speed is 250mph

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one......

I want one......

Mommy, mommy.....

I want one.......

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a blast but I doubt I'll own one anytime soon. In the mean time, this is what I play with everyday! 165hp @ 500 lbs = serious get up and go [Smile]

-

[ October 24, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Bob Stephens ]

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey,
That Bugatti is insane.
Do you reckon it needs striping to really turn heads or just stretching to a 12 seater? [Wink]

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome! I cant find anything about if you can drive it on the street or not... I need to get working on plans to fit a model T body on it...

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 300HP Go Kart . . . It was the wind distorting his face . . . A Pro Stock Drag Car pulls just about 1.8 G in the first 60 feet and it won't do that . . A Top Fuel Car pulls 5.3 G's on average

And a F-14 on a "Cat Shot" goes from 0 to 180 Knots in 2.8 seconds . . THAT'S ACCELERATION!

Wanna go far quicker than that for the same $40k? Build a Rice Rocket with the same engine/Honda body, you'll be turning the quarter in about 9.5 seconds, at around 138 MPH . .

But that ittle car would be fun to have as a "Spare" if one had a great amount of disposable income . . .

But, Mike . . It'll never qualify as a "Street Rod" . . Heh, heh . . .

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty neat little car. I get lost with all the metric figures and British pounds so I can't really tell exactly what's going on. The 0-60 times make it pretty damn quick though! I'd like to see some 1/4 mile and skidpad figures. I would also like to see a professional in the video wring the thing out, the media guy they had was pretty sloppy in the corners.
It looks like it's plenty fast enough to get hurt in and the roll bar and the seat especially, look inadequate. I'd like to see a full cage and some aluminum racing seats.
The really big question though, is what the hell would you do with it? So it's streetable. A really fast car on the street=TROUBLE!!!

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George, what? you mean people should be PRACTICAL in their automotive purchases???

Shucks... that would eliminate what.... 99% of all SUVs, trucks and luxury cars on the road? [Wink]

Large, I've had these plans in my head for a while now to build something for myself.. something on the order of about 600lbs or less, 120-180HP using a sportbike powerplant. For the time being, that idea is on hold while I think of something else that will be even more economical, say 300lbs and 80HP, just a little commuter car for zipping around my small town but still plenty of giddy-up, fun and sizzling style.

Here's a concept drawing I came up with for that 600lb/180HP vehicle a ways back - low slung, only about 9-10ft long.

-

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
They've already made it [Wink]
http://tinyurl.com/7cahj

Ok maybe not as HP but you get the idea...

Edit for the rest of the story...
Since the rest of the page didn't show up try this one
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/5350/smartroadster.htm

[ October 25, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Brian Diver ]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian, yeah they've been selling the smart brand in Europe already, Chrysler plans to bring em to the US pretty soon.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I saw a bunch of them up in Vancouver this past weekend. Not the sporty things but the funky little square box on wheels. I bet you could put 2 of those side by side in a normal lane they were so narrow. Probably fine for the big city like they were intended. Although that electric blue Ferrari that was smokin the tires from one stoplight to the next was quite cool too [Big Grin] Of course if you can afford one of those - who cares about gas prices.

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike: Rear Engine Technology (RET) is great when it comes to Race Cars, and small runabouts (or "Killer" Sports Cars), BUT . . as has been demonstrated by automotive history, only ONE rear Engined Vehicle has ever been a big seller, the VW Bug . . . . and that, actually, only because of a particular time . . the mid '60s. One has to remember the time of availability of the Bug and it's variants . . it was first put on the road in 1939 and when it ceased to be imported, sometime in the early '70s, it had been on the market for over 30 years . . with relatively few changes . .

The biggest reason RET has never been popular was lack of space in both the Passenger and Luggage Compartment . . . Pontiac couldn't give a Fiero away, I know two people who had 'em . . loved the sporty look, but there wasn't room for their A** and a Gallon of Gas . . and if they went someplace down the road, they had to send their Luggage by way of UPS or Fed EX. And they were noisy little Bas****s if you rode in 'em very far, one would think sound insulation would've been used but noooo, Just like a Ferrari, you couldn't hear the Stereo unless it was turned right up to "Blast!"

I once rode with a friend, who owned a 1998 Ferrari Testa Rosa, from Pueblo, Colorado over to Montrose, one weekend . . . And I damned near wanted to ride the bus home . . The first 10 miles were "Check me out, I'm in a Ferrari!", the next 200 were "Where the Hell are my kidneys?" That had to be one of the hardest riding, noisiest drives I ever took, with possibly the exception of a couple of 1320 foot trips in an Alcohol Dragster! Actually, the dragster rode better!

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I've always liked the look of your concept car. Were you planning on using the MC driveline, swingarm and all and this thing being a single seater withe the engine next to the driver?

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the Scoropion car that Shep was building? That was one cool concept...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Large, no plans for resale here. I'm designing this thing for myself. If anyone else shows interest in it, I'll gladly sell them one but they'll have to live with a barebones ride without heat, AC, stereo, cupholders, plush interior or storage space for anything larger than a gallon of milk. [Smile]

Of course if they want all those creature comforts they can always pay me more to build it for them or add other customization. One thing is for sure - people around this area have NO PROBLEMS spending $10,000 on something like a Yamaha Rhino Utility "ATV" which is barebones, then adding another $5,000-$10,000 in custom wheels, stereos, leather interiors, custom paint, suspension, etc. etc. If they want a specialty vehicle like this bad enough, they will pay for it.

And yes, people DO drive their Rhinos, ATV's, customized golf carts (you name it they do it to those carts) etc on the roads here. As long as they're registered, they're legal, and the requirements to be legal here are pretty lax. Brake lights and turn signals. Add headlights if you want to drive at night.

George, haven't really nailed that down yet. I like the idea of using the MC driveline to keep a cap on costs, plus it would be simple to fab and integrate into the rest of the vehicle, but it would be nice to have 4 wheels too for stability with two passengers, although I would then need to bug some of you race guys and find a source for the transmission. This version of the vehicle which as I've stated is pushed back to another burner is definitely a two seater, whether they're side by side or in a tandem configuration though I haven't decided yet, and of course that affects the layout, wheelbase, structural design of the chassis and the suspension setup.

My other idea for the smaller commuter car would be a single passenger deal, much simpler, faster and cheaper to build, which is why I've decided to go this route. [Smile]

There's yet another idea rolling around my head for a ~20-30lb trike, a fancier version of a bicycle, with something like a 20HP quiet Honda 4 stroke on the reasonable side - that should still get up and move pretty quick - or maybe adding a brutal 60HP (hahaha never thought 60HP would be brutal) engine for the insane (60HP in a vehicle that weighs 40lbs with an engine and a little gas is insane in my book). Human-powered is optional. [Smile] I don't think many people around here would go for this one, the SUVs on the roads would make it an interesting ride for sure, even though you could slip right underneath them or hit the gas and disappear in an instant.

Fun ideas, finding the time and funding for them is another story when I'm spending everything on photography. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!